Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi i got problem with overheating

After 30 min of driving in downtown (lots stops and go) burgman start to overheat.

I replaced thermostat, termoswitch, change radiator coolant (no air inside).
Fan is spinning but just cant cool down system, i check hoes to find if some is damaged but nothing.

Btw when i change radiator coolant lot of s.it like mud come of radiator

What next to check ?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
When you changed the coolant did you flush the engine. If you didn't there may be some of that mud inside the engine blocking cooling passages.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I didnt flush engine, how can i test head gasket ?
I dont have idea what is happening

·
Registered
426 Posts
Hmm interesting. You've just about covered all the necessities. So when after you changed out all the items listed and still found that the scoot was overheating did you check the radiator and overflow container for what levels remained (once scoot had time to cool down?). Also if when the engine got hot (all temperature bars lit up in the LCD and the red overheat/temp light illuminated on the dash) and switching engine off did you find that the scoot then dumped coolant out of the overflow container tube? When the engine got hot, could you hear the fan spinning or at least stopped to check that the fan was indeed activated? Take the scoot for another run with the tunnel engine access panel removed so you have a better auditory and visual que to what's going on. Have you checked the wiring and plug to the thermo switch.
Pull the plug and use a wire e.g. paper-clip to connect the two spade connectors within the plug to one another. Fan should spin with ignition switched to 'on'.

Check/replace radiator cap. Sure there are no small hole(s) leak from the radiator or hoses?
What about the appearance of the radiator coolant?
I've got a K7 and three times now I have experienced the scoot overheating. One time it was a small hole in the middle of the radiator core. I bought a new radiator and swapped it out myself. The other two times scoot experienced overheating turned out to be a problem with the fan getting stuck. Seems any little knock or hit can cause misalignment leading to fan biding - not spinning and the scoot only got hot when in stop/go traffic. Any area would the scoot could stretch 'her' legs the temp would stay at three bars.
The last time I ended up adding a couple of washers to the fan frame-radiator; three mounting bolts so that the frame and fan are not as close to the rearward side of the radiator.

Check engine oil, both level and appearance of the oil? Also too little engine oil can add to engine temp, since the front face of where the oil filter attaches acts as a oil cooler since oil circulates through the oil filter and as it does so coolant circulates via a circuit round/near the base of where the oil filter attaches. Engine oil appearance (frothy oil with water contamination) might assist in determining if there might be a head gasket leak. Combine that with the appearance of the engine coolant from the radiator (oil contamination in the coolant might also suggest head gasket leak).

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
On the 650 the radiator fans are a weak point , so make sure it's working properly . The fact that your anti freeze has sludge in it is troublesome so you should start with a flush and new coolant . Odds are it's one of the two . Also how many miles on your bike and a little history of other problems ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Still nothing, i forgot to tell that i replaced radiator cap.
I dont have any idea what is happening. Bike has 30 k miles.
Now starts to overheat while driving on open road after 5-6 miles.
Fan is working corectly he is spining i check it.

I need litle bit more time on weekend to check it complete bike.
I dont know from where to start

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Some thing I forgot to mention is there is a thermostat on this bike in the cylinder head , see pic part # 5 . That said I've never heard of it mentioned in the 2 years I've been here .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I replaced that
Well then you know what's next ? the flush . If you've got muck in there god knows what's plugged ?

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
Flush the system and see if that helps.

If not then pull the water pump and take it apart. It is fairly easy to get out without removing much bodywork. All you really have to remove is the right lower leg shield. You may need to unbolt the floorboard on that side and pull it up a little to get clearance but you don't have to remove it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
What are the symptoms of over-heating?

My 06 Burgman 650 will indicate 3 bars on any day where the outside
temperature is over 80. I would like the temperature gauge to show
2 bars.

What is the normal reading on a hot day?

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
What are the symptoms of over-heating?

My 06 Burgman 650 will indicate 3 bars on any day where the outside
temperature is over 80. I would like the temperature gauge to show
2 bars.

What is the normal reading on a hot day?
My 650 shows 3 bars whether the outside temp is 10 or 110. 3 bars is the normal operating temp for these bikes. I would worry if it were running at 2 bars.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
Furthermore, it's not unlikely that the gauge shows 3 bars over a wide temperature range, in order not to upset the rider unnecessarily.

·
Registered
11 Posts
From the symptoms you described i.e. overheating after 30 minutes in stop and go traffic with the fan working, your radiator may core may be clogged. You'll need to remove the radiator and have it professionally cleaned or re-cored to restore full effectiveness.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts