Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
806 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 650 is now 2 years old with 31,000 miles on it. I live in south Florida and for the first time my overheat light came on while sitting at a stoplight for awhile. I'm due for a coolant change in about 4,000 miles. The light did go out when I started to move. Does this mean it's hot out (which I know) 99* The coolant is low (it has never leaked) Or the coolant is ....wore out. Impossible. Can it be ignored for another 4,000 miles if I don't wait a long time at light signals?

·
Super Moderator
8,074 Posts
Although I have never seen or heard mine, I am told there is a fan that should kick in when your not moving.

If the coolant is low, I would top it off with water untill you change the coolant.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
My 650 is now 2 years old with 31,000 miles on it. I live in south Florida and for the first time my overheat light came on while sitting at a stoplight for awhile. I'm due for a coolant change in about 4,000 miles. The light did go out when I started to move. Does this mean it's hot out (which I know) 99* The coolant is low (it has never leaked) Or the coolant is ....wore out. Impossible. Can it be ignored for another 4,000 miles if I don't wait a long time at light signals?
You should check the fluid level after it cools down and check to see if your fan is working properly . Also check the radiator to make sure it's not clogged up with debris .

TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
The most likely cause of your problem is the fan is not coming on. Possible reasons it might not are the thermo switch that controls it is not working correctly, the fuse is blown, the wiring has come loose, the fan mount has been bent causing the fan to drag on the radiator, or the fan motor has failed.

First thing I would do is reach up behind the radiator and see if you can turn the fan with your hand. Be sure the key is off when you do this. If you cannot turn it then it is either dragging on the radiator or the motor has failed. If you can then it is time to get the multimeter out and start testing wiring.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Although I have never seen or heard mine, I am told there is a fan that should kick in when your not moving.

If the coolant is low, I would top it off with water untill you change the coolant.
As with a car, the fan only comes on when temperature reaches a certain point.

It's a quiet fan but unless you're stopped at a light next to someone without a muffler, you should be able to hear it. Also, feel the hot breeze on your lower calves and ankles.

I've heard it many times on my own. But if you don't do much city riding, and if you're in wet weather a lot, it's easy to see how things could get corroded and fail and you'd never know.

Until you overheat.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
The most likely cause of your problem is the fan is not coming on. Possible reasons it might not are the thermo switch that controls it is not working correctly, the fuse is blown, the wiring has come loose, the fan mount has been bent causing the fan to drag on the radiator, or the fan motor has failed.

First thing I would do is reach up behind the radiator and see if you can turn the fan with your hand. Be sure the key is off when you do this. If you cannot turn it then it is either dragging on the radiator or the motor has failed. If you can then it is time to get the multimeter out and start testing wiring.
I recommend you follow this advice in full.

·
Registered
573 Posts
I had the same thing happen to me several years ago. When I started checking it out, I found 3 things. First, the fuse was blown. I replaced the fuse and started the scooter up. Still not working. The fuse was blown again. I checked the fan, and found 2 things. The radiator was bent so that the fan was dragging on the radiator, and a wire going to the fan was "cut". I pulled the fan loose and shimmed it from the radiator using washers. I spliced the wire back together, replaced the fuse again and have had no problems since. It looked like something had hit the bottom of the radiator to cause it to bend. Never had a problem since.

·
Registered
704 Posts

Exactly right, first thing is check the fan. Mine overheated and I did that and found a piece of gravel wedged between fan and radiator. Removed the gravel and replaced the blown fuse and all is well. Start with the cheaper things first.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts