Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone! Quick question. I'm interrested in 05 Burgman 650. I have read here that the difference from the 04 is an overdrive. Niether
my Suzuki dealer nor the Suzuki web site talks about this new overdrive feature. Is it a fact or speculation? Thanks

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Chris,

Welcome to BurgmanUSA. According to my dealer's product book the 2005 Burgman does have overdrive. The information was on Suzuki's website too at one time, but it looks like they have redone the site and are not mentioning the new features any longer. I've never been too impressed with that website as an information source. There is also supposed to be a fuel mileage indicator on the dash, and some minor cosmetic enhancements on the 2005 model. Unfortunately, they haven't arrived in the USA yet, so we can't confirm the changes.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I must admit that an 'mpg' readout would be a useful enhancement, especially when touring in areas in which fuel stations are few and far between (eg. parts of Scotland). Having a better feel for the range remaining in your tank has got to be a comforting improvement.

I'm not sure yet about the merits of the Overdrive, having not owned my K4 for long enough, but anything that can make M-way cruising more economical is bound to be a great improvement for those who major on this kind of riding.

I'm not at all bothered about the 'cosmetic improvements'. These tend to be the Japanese manufacturers' way of bringing about a kind of built-in obsolescence. They also do this by changing colour schemes. Clever! :wink:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Cool. Thanks for the verification. :thumbleft:

One thing that seems odd -- the main Suzuki site shows that the 650 is only availible in silver, with the new silver panel up front where it was a black panel previously. This new media link you provided says it's availible in both silver and blue, noted in both pictures and in the text. It looks like the blue one has a blue front panel, too.

Chiefkeefe -- since you're one of the few owners of an '05, you'll have to let us know how the mileage comes out. That is, if you can stop whackin' the throttle and actually let the machine get itself into this supposed new 'overdrive'... :wink:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Odd.
The Canadian site still has the same old data on it.

I wonder if the OD is just in the US, or if they just haven't bothered to update the Canadian site?

I wonder if the Executive model available here has OD on it.

I've had no info on that anywhere. :?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
frugality said:
This new media link you provided says it's availible in both silver and blue, noted in both pictures and in the text. It looks like the blue one has a blue front panel, too.
The Burgman brochure I picked up at the dealer yesterday lists the both 2005s available in silver or blue; plus the Burgman 400 Type S in Pearl Crystal Red. No changes are noted other than those listed on the media site. The picture of the left hand controls does not show any changes like a button for the overdrive; but it does list an overdrive indicator added to the digital instrument panel.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Rick,

The Executive model does have all the enhancements, but they are not sending it to the USA this year.

The SuzukiUSA site does not mention the overdrive either. That is just part of Suzuki's poor marketing strategy. I guess they figure if you want to know what a model really has, you'll have to go buy one. :roll:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Although I don't expect it, I wouldn't be too surprised if Suzuki did offer the Executive here later after the 650s were released... sorta like they did with the 400 Type S.

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
billmeek said:
The picture of the left hand controls does not show any changes like a button for the overdrive; but it does list an overdrive indicator added to the digital instrument panel.
I think that makes sense. I was guessing it was just a software change, so that the steady-speed setting of the CVT would just be at a slightly different ratio. It may not include any hardware changes to the CVT. Just some different programming and a light to let you know when you're operating in 'economical' mode. Personally, I think that'll be annoying. Like the shift indicators that were on some manual-transmissioned cars. but that's what God gave us electrical tape for -- to cover up idiot lights. :lol:

Besides, I don't think they can squeeze any more buttons on that left bar anyhow... :roll:

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Someone previously reported that there are in fact hardware changes associated with the new Overdrive. I don't remember the details or the source.

Pictures linked to in another thread this evening show the OD indicator as part of the 1-2-3-4-5-O Gear indicator window. That is much better than the blue light that my V-Strom had for overdrive (which looked a lot like the blue high beam indicator light).

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
lilleyen said:
...I wonder if the OD is just in the US, or if they just haven't bothered to update the Canadian site?

I wonder if the Executive model available here has OD on it.
The Exec does have the overdrive feature, as well as the updated instruments with temperature guage, fuel consumption indicator, etc.

You'll be able to select kilometers per litre or litres per 100 kilometers to be indicated. No miles, rods, or leagues though. :wink:

The temperature (in degrees Celsius only, I assume) will be a choice in the clock window.

Click here for big picture: http://www.burgmania.net/img/burg2005/001.jpg

·
Registered
250 Posts
frugality said:
...Chiefkeefe -- since you're one of the few owners of an '05, you'll have to let us know how the mileage comes out. That is, if you can stop whackin' the throttle and actually let the machine get itself into this supposed new 'overdrive'... :wink:

Although first registered March 4th, 2005, mine is a K4 so lacks the '05 refinements. Suzuki GB's website makes no mention of the K5, and all pictures are of the K4. So, no overdrive on mine then, unfortunately :(

But do I feel deprived? Nope! :D

Good weather is expected today, so I'm off ...................... :thumbleft:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I currently own a GL1800 and am thinking of selling and buying a Burgman. Nuts?

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Chris said:
Thanks for the welcome and thanks for the info. I currently own a GL1800 and am thinking of selling and buying a Burgman. Nuts?
This is the International Community of Burgman Owners; you don't expect us to say "Keep the Goldwing" do you? :lol:

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've heard stories that a fair number of GW owners have traded in there huge steeds for a burgman.
personally I can't see a need for something that **** big. I ride with a goldwing group. and I love to watch them "fight" with those huge machines trying to manuver them in tight spots, or tricky parking lots.
Go with what you feel works best for you.

·
Registered
373 Posts
Just checked the USA site listed above, and the Burgman 650 is listed at $7790
Here in the UK the Burgman 650 is listed at £6449 = $12334........... a difference of $4544 :shock:
I think I will emigrate.......

Andy

·
Registered
373 Posts
Although first registered March 4th, 2005, mine is a K4 so lacks the '05 refinements. Suzuki GB's website makes no mention of the K5, and all pictures are of the K4. So, no overdrive on mine then, unfortunately Sad
Here in the UK Suzuki are really dragging its heels on new 05 models. The SV1000 K5 is not due here until late in the year, and yet are on sale everywhere else. This I have been informed is because Suzuki UK have a lot of surplus K4 models lying around....

Andy

·
Registered
373 Posts
No!
I traded a GSX-R1000 K4 with 500 miles on the clock, for a Burgman 650, everybody said I was nuts,
I did'nt listen, and I still don't regret it a year later

Andy

·
Registered
728 Posts
Normsthename said:
No!
I traded a GSX-R1000 K4 with 500 miles on the clock, for a Burgman 650, everybody said I was nuts,
I did'nt listen, and I still don't regret it a year later

Andy
I'm really glad to hear things like this. I can't help but wonder if I'll regret giving up my intruder 1400 for a burgman. I really do love my truder, but I can't have both, and my body can't take the cool weather on my joints anymore. But, I do love the sound of those two HUGE pistons pounding all that power out while I'm lumbering down the road.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts