Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
say did i see on this site somewhere about an overdrive for the burgman? if the burgy is comming out in an overdrive unit does anyone happen to know if the older bikes can be retro fit with this overdrive? or is is an add on type of device on the newer bikes? thanks bob p.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Bob,

As none of us have even seen an '05 yet, it's way too early to even guess if the overdrive can be retrofitted to an earlier model.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ray,

We've kicked this around before. Technically you may be correct, because any final drive ratio higher than 1:1 is overdrive. But Overdrive is listed as a new feature on the '05 model so I think it will lower rpms even more at high speeds. In the area where I live, you can often travel at speeds up to 80 mph when touring - many areas have very low population and traffic density, and high speed limits. While the current AN650 gets good mileage at the speeds you mentioned, mileage drops off terribly when cruising at 75 or 80 mph. I've gotten as low as 38 mpg. I think the 05 will do better under those conditions. If you normally do not exceed 60 mph, I don't think it will make a great deal of difference.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
There's no way to know for sure, of course, until we get our hands on an '05 or until someone at Suzuki releases the technical information; but I was discussing this question with my local dealer and here's what I think:

Whether or not it is a true overdrive in the sense of a greater than 1:1 ratio (either in the current model or in the '05), it will be a feature designed to give better fuel economy because that has been a complaint voiced in the media that may be harming sales.

Since the 650 has power to spare, allowing the rider the choice of trading some performance for better economy is a great idea.

How do I think it will be implemented? Electronically, via the CVT controler. Just as we now have a "Power" mode that raises the RPM at any given speed (up to a maximum limit) by 1000RPM, the "Overdrive" mode will lower the RPM at any given speed...probably by around 500; again, to a limit -- probably 2500 -- below which it will revert to the normal power curve.

Now we'll just have to wait and see how close my prognostication comes to reality.

·
Registered
611 Posts
Anyone want to bet that the overdrive is nothing more than not using the power mode? Haven't we already seen pictures of the 05 left handgrip? I bet they renamed normal to overdrive, so the choice is overdrive or power instead of normal and power...

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Robert said:
Anyone want to bet that the overdrive is nothing more than not using the power mode? Haven't we already seen pictures of the 05 left handgrip? I bet they renamed normal to overdrive, so the choice is overdrive or power instead of normal and power...
I tend to think not. I think Overdrive will be automatically invoked (Auto Mode only) depending on engine rpms and engine load. Power Mode and manual mode will remain, but will lock out Overdrive when used. That would be the most sensible design, and Suzuki usually does not screw up in that area. But it is of course all speculation until they are released.

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
Overdrive - I reckon the Bachman Turner variety is about due for a re-release. :oops:

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
NormanB said:
Overdrive - I reckon the Bachman Turner variety is about due for a re-release. :oops:
Did you mean Burgman Tuner :?: :twisted:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I have carried out a Babel Fish translation of the Suzuki Europe website and the 05 model has a new 6 speed manual mode with the previous 5 speeds remaining unchanged.
A higher top gear then.

But nobody seems to have seen one yet....... :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
DAFFMAN said:
I have carried out a Babel Fish translation of the Suzuki Europe website and the 05 model has a new 6 speed manual mode with the previous 5 speeds remaining unchanged.
A higher top gear then.

But nobody seems to have seen one yet....... :roll:
Yeah I did a babelfish of the Japanese site and it said that the 05 comes with retractable mackerel as standard! :lol:

·
Registered
611 Posts
I wonder if the manual mode 6th "gear" is the overdrive, and that normal automatic mode will be unchanged?

I hate not knowing, but then I still haven't figured out how many licks it takes to get to the chocolate center of a tootsie pop!

Has anyone else had a problem with the bolt holding the mackerel coming loose and keeping it from retracting completey?

·
Registered
355 Posts
Robert said:
I still haven't figured out how many licks it takes to get to the chocolate center of a tootsie pop!
?
ask Mr Owl...

·
Premium Member
11,295 Posts
So overdrive it is then!

Thanks for the link. :wink:

·
Registered
209 Posts
NormanB said:
Yeah I did a babelfish of the Japanese site and it said that the 05 comes with retractable mackerel as standard! :lol:
Wow! If I'd known they were going to offer retractable mackerels, I would have waited to buy an '05.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Thanks for the linl to the pictures xirris. Maybe one day Suzuki will offer the Executive or here. Till then, I'll just have to settle looking at pics. :?

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Not owning a 650 I am not sure about one thing-- Why the power mode ? Just a standard "D" would not do it . After all it is a touring scooter not a racing bike, are the "gears" really needed or just an extra touch.

I understand from the many posts I have read that it works I don't doubt that but I would think like on my P/U truck a have never used "D1 or D2) and almost always have the overdrive button on.

Just wondering 8)

·
Registered
611 Posts
I don't use the manual mode at all, and I wish that the buttons for it weren't even there (they make it harder to find the turn signal button with gloves on). And I saw them as a negative when buying the bike.

I've used the power mode while carrying a passenger and going up steep hills - but it isn't something I'll use much. Now an overdrive that puts the engine into it's most efficient rpm for me at any given speed - that would be sweet. :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Power mode makes a huge difference when riding very tight winding roads, especially in hilly or mountainous areas. I learned that when I was riding in the Black Hills last summer.

Manual Mode is extraneous - a marketing gimmick more than anything else. Shifting with my thumb just never felt natural, and the two auto modes work so well there is no need for it.

Wish I had taller gearing for touring on the open road. If they did the OD right on the '05s, that scoot will have all the bases covered.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts