Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lots of talk about the overdrive on the 05 model 650. Some say only accessable in manual mode of trannie.

Has anyone noticed any practical benefits of the OD? And if so, what are they please?

For example,
- is the gas mileage better,
- cruising at speed on highway more stable, or?
- reduced RPM when in OD results in what?

Or is it an upgrade that intuitively seems good to have but goes mostly unnoticed?

Very curious.
Thanks for any inputs or observations.

Dennis,
in Florida

·
Registered
64 Posts
O/D

Dennis,
I have an 05 and the overdrive works just fine, you don't have to put it into O/D just drive above 65 mph and she goes to overdrive by it self but does not light up the indicator but it is in overdrive. The best gas milage I have ever got with my AN650K5 was a little over 70mpg coming back from Prescott AZ to Sun City AZ which is about 100 miles but you drop in elevation from 6000 ft to 1100 feet. On the open road above 65 mph it seems to get around 57 to 61 mpg around 68 mph rideing easy. Hope this is of some help to ya............walterb

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
As best as I can tell, the OD position in Manual Mode sets the transmission's variator pulleys in the highest possible ratio. (Fifth "gear" doesn't select the highest ratio.)

My guess is that the basic 5 preselcted ratios carry over from the pre-'05 models, and the engineers figured that the highest ratio would not be needed often enough to warrant assigning it to one of those 5. The "overdrive" ratio may or may not be an actual overdrive (ie, transmission output shaft spins faster than the crankshaft), but that's not terribly important.

It may reduce engine wear by some small amount. It also might reduce vibration and/or engine noise, but those would be cures for non-existent problems! In manual mode, it may improve fuel economy compared to running in "5", but it isn't more efficient than running in normal automatic mode (which will use the highest ratio only when it's the best option).

Mostly, it's a feature that's included because there's no good reason not to have it, and it was easy to implement. But, besides being an excuse for another light in the dashboard and giving the rider something else to do while in manual mode, it doesn't give the bike any additional capabilities.

Rusty J
Blue AN650K5 -- it's a good thing that our bombs are clever!

·
Registered
728 Posts
At 70 mph, in auto mode, I'm turning 4200 RPM's. When I switch over to manula mode, then pop it into OD, I'm still running 4200 RPM's, so to me as far as I can tell, the OD in manual mode doesn't get me anything more then auto does.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Because the auto already shifted to OD. It's been said that the bike will switch into OD in auto mode around 65 mph. I suppose manually shifting it into OD at lower speeds is possible using manual mode.
Lowering the rpm's at any given speed should increase fuel economy.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
I've been keeping an eye on the tach while riding the superslab. Generally it seems that there is a one bar drop between Auto mode and Manual OD. It is more pronounced in changing terrain or on reasonable grades.

While in OD I was able to maintain "a good speed" up a grade that makes many cage and scoots lose speed, unless they downshift. That same grade in auto drops into 5th gear range, several bars higher rpms. This was just a test to see if there was a significant gain to be had - I don't think I'd consistently work the engine that hard (there wasn't much twist left) but it is good to know it is available.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It is really difficult to get a good answer to this. Most, maybe all, of our members that own an 05 AN650 did not previously own an older one. To really detect the difference you would need prior experience with one that was not equipped with overdrive.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Seems to me...........

pauljo said:
It is really difficult to get a good answer to this. Most, maybe all, of our members that own an 05 AN650 did not previously own an older one. To really detect the difference you would need prior experience with one that was not equipped with overdrive.
Could be right, but seems that a few people are responding pretty well...

One way, it would seem, to get one picture is to compare average fuel use figures between pre-05's w/o OD and O5's with OD. But that might not be simple either.

But certainly, if it was importantant enough to put it in the bike by Suzuki, it would seem it should have a discernable imfluence on it's operation.

The folks here have been pretty creative with their observations and comments but I wonder if there is a really obvious difference going on too.

Could be because of the point you made we can't get a real good grip on the issue.

Regards to all,
Dennis/Fla

·
Registered
319 Posts
I usually go to manual (elect) shift above 50 and shift into OD. I notice a drop in engine RPMs at that speed, haven't checked to see what it would be at 65 mph in manual or automatic. But, having lower RPMs up to that speed can't hurt.

·
Premium Member
14,255 Posts
I did a 200 mile trip, well actually 218 miles as it was 109 miles 1 way, 4 lanes divided with small towns about every 15 to 20 miles and some fair size hills. I ran in auto mode all the way out. I filled up when I left and at the turnaround topped up the tank, used 2 gallons even. On the way back I used auto mode through towns and to accelerate up to highway speed then shifted to manual and up to overdrive. Topped up the tank when I got back and it took 2 gallons even.

·
Registered
111 Posts
seems like by now someone would have figured a way for the older burgs to get reprogramed to have this over drive feature also. or at least suzuki would have the option of having the dealers reprogram the **** thing to take advantage of the over drive. has anyone figured out how to program the over drive into the burgy?

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
I have been using my OD lately, (when I remember I have it), and I have noticed a little better mileage, about 1 to 1 1/2 more kms per litre.
Also the engine sounds different in OD, (quieter), and won't pull as hard up a hill etc.

At 95 kmsph the revs are at 3200 rpm in OD.

Also noticed when slowing for a stop light, ther is almost no discernable engine brakng if the OD is on and I am slowing for the red light. The second I hit the yellow Manual button the engine braking kicks in as usual.

I have always had to turn on the OD manually to date, so maybe I just don't ride fast enough to make it happen automatically.

Hard to believe that though, as I have had it up to 160 kms (showing) recently, in a passing situation. I didn't notice the revs in that situation becaues I was busy swallowing my heart again, but the revs were pretty high. Still had lots of throttle left too!

I have also noticed that the burg gets kind of snarly when you crank it open too. :wink: So much for stealth mode. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Question I have is why when you change from Auto to manual it seems to drop into 5th. My rpm's rise and I can hear the difference. Then I switch into OD and rpm's and sound drop back.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
rallan said:
Question I have is why when you change from Auto to manual it seems to drop into 5th. My rpm's rise and I can hear the difference. Then I switch into OD and rpm's and sound drop back.
As I mentioned above. 5th "Gear" isn't the tallest ratio that the transmission can reach, while "OD" is that ratio. So, if you're running at or very near the tallest ratio, shifting into "5" will be a downshift from where the automatic set it to.

Rusty J
Blue AN650K5

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Excellent post.

lilleyen said:
I have been using my OD lately, (when I remember I have it), and I have noticed a little better mileage, about 1 to 1 1/2 more kms per litre.
Also the engine sounds different in OD, (quieter), and won't pull as hard up a hill etc.

At 95 kmsph the revs are at 3200 rpm in OD.

Also noticed when slowing for a stop light, ther is almost no discernable engine brakng if the OD is on and I am slowing for the red light. The second I hit the yellow Manual button the engine braking kicks in as usual.

I have always had to turn on the OD manually to date, so maybe I just don't ride fast enough to make it happen automatically.

Hard to believe that though, as I have had it up to 160 kms (showing) recently, in a passing situation. I didn't notice the revs in that situation becaues I was busy swallowing my heart again, but the revs were pretty high. Still had lots of throttle left too!

I have also noticed that the burg gets kind of snarly when you crank it open too. :wink: So much for stealth mode. :)
Excellent post. i

·
Registered
3 Posts
the true results of OD trans.VS no OD.

Not being able to sleep for several nights worrying about my "obsolete" 03 650 Burgman with its inferior transmission,I decided to ride my dinosaur down to my dealers shop and whine to him. On my way there, I made a mental note of my [email protected] mph which was a constant 4200 RPM. My dealer said take the 05 burgman 650 that was just traded in and find out for yourself! Guess What? The [email protected] mph or,six of one,half dozen of the other=true results=Suzuki Smoke/Mirrors. They dont need auto industry Hype to sell these great machines!! :idea: :lol:

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Re: the true results of OD trans.VS no OD.

jimfike said:
Not being able to sleep for several nights worrying about my "obsolete" 03 650 Burgman with its inferior transmission,I decided to ride my dinosaur down to my dealers shop and whine to him. On my way there, I made a mental note of my [email protected] mph which was a constant 4200 RPM. My dealer said take the 05 burgman 650 that was just traded in and find out for yourself! Guess What? The [email protected] mph or,six of one,half dozen of the other=true results=Suzuki Smoke/Mirrors. They dont need auto industry Hype to sell these great machines!! :idea: :lol:
Cool . . .

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
Hmmm. - a bit perplexing if you'd ask me. Especially with those mpg "stats" being provided. If you are getting 57 to 61 mpg on a 650 as walterb reports..... then I haven't an answer. Best I ever rx'd on my 04 is like 49. The reported difference is over 10mpg - which is LARGE.

Gotta be sumpthin if those numbers are correct! :) :shock:

I make up for those 10mpg with my MP3! :D I was thinking about adding a space-based solar powered "parachute-puller" but there were too many issues involved. :? I'll guess that I'll just haveta stick with The Valley Road by Bruce Hornsby.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
MPG stats vary so much, I do not think MPGs would be a good measure. RPMs for a given MPH would be better.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
My RPMs DO drop about 200 RPM with the OD if I'm cruising about 110 kmph (from about 4400 to 4200), so there is a difference.

As I stated above, my gas mileage improves slightly too.
These days, evey bit counts. :)

I have never been in a situation where I was going real fast (125 or more), where the OD did NOT make a difference. (Just over 5800 kms to date on the clock)
In other words, I have always had to turn it on manually, but it does drop the revs. So, I'm assuming from this that it does not kick in automatically, it has to be turned on in manual mode. No matter what speed I'm doing, to drop the revs I have to hit the manual button, and then the UP button.

Below 90 KMPH there is not much point in the OD unless the road is clear and flat, because the engine seems to lug at speeds below 90 kmph if you try to accelerate.

It does seem to be a tall "gear", as the engine runs quieter, has less pulling power, and hills, if steep, will require a downshift, unless you are going really fast and the revs are up anyway. :)

On reasonably level highways, you can leave it in OD with no problems.

In traffic, where a lot of passing etc., is going on, it's better to use auto.

Based on my experience so far, it's not smoke and mirrors (well, not completely anyway). While not a fully automatic overdrive, it does allow you to cruise all day in "Goldwing mode" while the engine loafs a little, wears less, and you can save a little gas as a bonus.

While overhyped admittedly, it's still a good feature to have.

I would not trade in an older model just to acquire this feature, but I am glad I have it.
The main reason I bought the model I have was for the ABS brakes, the OD (which is on ALL 2005s anyway), and the other Executive features are just icing on the cake.

Hope this clarifies things a little for those of you who are wondering about the OD.
I expect I will discover even more about it as the miles/kms are accumulated. :D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts