Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Gosh I love Charleston in the spring.....

This morning at 07:00 it was 54F, so I pushed the SOB (Shifless Old [email protected]#$%*&) out of the garage, wiped down the windscreen and rode across town to Sunday Morning Breakfast at the American Legion, a gathering for the local GWRRA and the American Legion Riders as well as a few Retreads. Had breakfast, coffee and talked M/Cs for an hour.

The GWRRA had a ride planned to Georgia, but the Legion Riders were going to go to Santee SC where the CMA (Christian Motorcycle Association) had a comfort station set up at a rest stop on I-95 northbound for folks who were leaving Daytona. The Legion Riders invited me to ride with them, but they intended to go up I-26 to I-95 to Santee.

I thanked them but declined since I prefer back roads and small towns. We all left the AL Post at the same time, and I took SC 6 to Santee. Getting to the rest stop entailed about two miles of I95, and I passed them on that strech.

At the rest stop, I had coffee and talked M/Cs with the folks who were manning the Coutesy stand. They had free coffee, Iced tea, soda, sandwiches and fruit for north bound riders and drivers. A Real nice bunch of folks. Mostly GW's and HD with a Road Star and a Venture thrown in. The Burgman was what drew attention, though. "Gee, did you ride that all the way here?" started the questions, and when the Legion rider said, "He blew by us up the road a ways," the interest increased considerably.

I stayed there for about an hour and went up I95 about 20 miles to US521 and rode to Sumter to a BBQ house where a group from Sumter meets, (excuse a senior moment, I can't remeber their names, but there were several Retreads there) and had coffee and talked M/Cs. An interesting patter developed.... The gray headed folks showed more interest in the SOB and asked more questions, but the younger riders hung around it longer.

After about an hour, I left Sumter Leading three kids on crotch rockets and two on Yamaha V-Twins and returned to Charleston on US 378 and US 52. When we stopped for one of the Yamaha's to get gas, the three crotch rockets went on and the guys on the Yamaha's oohed and aahed at how stable the SOB was in the cross wind. (SC doesn't often have windy conditions) We then returned to Charleston and split up when we crossed over I26. What a great day....83F and clear skies at 16:00.

During the ride today, I went over 10,000 miles on the SOB. Still on the original rubber, and no wear bars getting too close to the surface. I've gotten 47.2829 MPG since I picked it up and first filled it with 24 miles on the odometer. No failures of any kind. Just scheduled maintenance.

Is anyone planning to come to Charleston for bike week in April? If so, please contact me if you'd like any directions or help. Or, we'll drink coffee (I'm good at that)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
What is a retread? What sort of organisation is the American legion, is it an ex armed forces club?

How did you got over 10,000 miles out of your rear tyre? Do you do much riding on high temp days over 100F? My rear Bridgestone seems to wear well in the cool weather but disappear quickly when the weather heats up, in fact I look like only getting around 8,000 kms (< 5,000 miles).
A Retread is a rider over 40 years of age... The concept is - you rode when you were young. Quit riding due to lack of $$$ to raise a family. Kids grown. GOt $$$ for Motorcycle now. You are coming back to the sport the second time around, i.e., a Retread.

The American Legion is an association of folks, not necessarily ex military. Here locally, they support food drives, orphanages, and other community projects. Heavy on citizenship, pro flag, etc. Their organization is nation wide. Most support or have a M/C group associated.

Tire wear.... Mine are the original equipment Bridgestone BattleAx tires. Well, SC doesn't have a lot of +100 days, BUT summer offers tons of +90 high humidity days. My riding is to and from work, weather allowing, but mostly highway miles. I normally ride alone, but, then I'm not exactly a little guy, only short. I go about 250 or 255. I run Max allowable air pressure in both front and rear, i.e., 33 front and 41 rear, Checked everytime I ride (which is easy, since I have Tire Minders on the valve stems)(Nice little units, by the way).

As to my riding style, while it is not that of a 20 year old taking amphetimenes on a crotch rocket, I am told by those who ride with me, is agressive and fast. I like to bash corners. I like curvy roads. Little of my riding is done on the interstate, ususally the interstate only becomes involved when I visit my grandkids down in Jacksonville, Fl. Otherwise, I like to travel State and US highways. The pace is more relaxed, the scenery is better (and they have curves).I like to run 65-70 mph indicated, though out on I95 to Jacksonville, 85-90 mph indicated is common to safely blend with traffic.

·
Registered
287 Posts
mick6502003 said:
The American Legion is an association of folks, not necessarily ex military.
Actually, to become a member of the American Legion one must serve on active duty during a wartime period. They do have "peripheral" organisations, though: The American Legion Auxiliary, which is made up mostly of wives of Legionaires, and Sons of the American Legion, which is made up of those described by the name. You can find more information at http://www.legion.org if you're interested.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I just thought that maybe the term "Retread" itself might be lost on some folks. Back in the days of bias ply tires, old worn out car & truck tires were often recycled by recoating them with rubber and cutting new grooves. These "retreads" were then sold for prices below that of a brand new tire. I think the trucking industry still does this, which is why we often see chunks of rubber from semi trucks littering our hiways. Retreads did/do not hold up as well as a brand new tire - sometimes the reapplied tread would break up and come off. Not a major problem if you have 18 wheels I guess - but a potential huge problem if you only have 2 wheels! Radial tires have never been candidates for retreads, because of their more flexible casing design. Use of retreads for private vehicles in this country pretty much vanished during the 70's.

But the use of the name for the "over 40" motorcycle club hints at bringing something old and worn out back to life.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts