Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just ordered my new 650 Burgman over the phone. Hope to pick it up tomorrow eve. If not, the next day. Never even did a road test 1st. Been wanting one for years before they even arrived in this country. Had a Honda 250 Elite in the 80's. I'll either love it or not, but it's the only thing that "spoke" to me. One of these days I'll find medication for that......

Mike

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Mike,

My 400 speaks to me all the time. I can hear it say, "Ride me". :)

·
Registered
209 Posts
Mine's been saying, "Clean Me!" lately...

Finally washed it proper yesterday. Waiting for needed chemicals to polish it though. 8)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pappy said:
Just ordered my new 650 Burgman over the phone....Been wanting one for years before they even arrived in this country. Had a Honda 250 Elite in the 80's. I'll either love it or not, but it's the only thing that "spoke" to me....
There are a number of us that used to own Elites; I had two.

They were fun little scooters -- but the AN650K is a blast!

See my posts in "How fast will it go" (my thread) and "Stigma" (I think I posted on about page three) for highlights of my love affair with this machine.

It not only speaks to me...it sings to me. The siren song calling me to ride!

I won't get off work until 01:15, but I'll still be taking the long way home. (The headlights are much better than the CH250's were. :wink: )

Kias said:
Mine's been saying, "Clean Me!" lately...

Finally washed it proper yesterday. Waiting for needed chemicals to polish it though. 8)
I've been washing mine at a drive-in car wash, and using their spray wax. And I bought a small can of Honda spray cleaner to put under the seat for use on the road.

After reading several posts about the glories of Lemon Pledge I tried that. It worked great!

Now I just spend a few quarters for the wash cycle ( 'cycle wash? ) and save the wax job for when I get home. By then it's been nicely blow-dried, too. :D

·
Registered
409 Posts
Mine sings to me too. Must be the beans I put in the tank

·
Registered
320 Posts
Congratulations Mike! We all need the same medication 'cause ours speaks to us too. Like Bill's, our says "Ride me!" It also told me to take a vacation day to ride it--so of course I had to obey! :lol:
Wishing you many happy and safe miles,
Bryna

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Just came home with my new 04 Silver. Seems to have the diesel "clatter". I personally LOVE the sound! Hope it doesn't mean I have trouble already? Have to do another "search" on that subject...
Have a couple questions after 30 minutes in my garage with the owners manual and flashlight.

1- Where on earth IS the oil fill??????
2-Looks like it is PRE WIRED for my battery tender? My dealer didn't even know and I find NOTHING in my owners manual??????
3-Did everyone else lind of go into a state of SHOCK after a 8 mile trip home on theirs????

I will really play on it tomorrow. The first 3 blocks I was thinking OH NO! I may have goofed up buying this thing. Block after block AFTER this, I started to PLAY with stuff (in scary traffic!), and aclimate to it. I won't tinker with this auto tranny stuff till I ma TOTALLY familiar with ALL of this scooter. By the time I was 1/2 way home. I thought about running away on it and NEVER going home again. My complaints based upon NOTHING but a rookies 8 mile "journey" are:

----I am 6'2" tall with only a 29" inseam. The wind NAILS me from the chin up. DEAF by the time I got home (wear a Beanie Helmet-DON"T lecture!).

----The seat backrest kind of "crowds me" and it IS moved all the way back. I can buy other seats, am a prior Clearview customer on other BIG motorcycles so that is also easy if not cheap to fix. Now, maybe a steroe, CD player and a TV and I can retire? If this sucker is ANYTHING like it appears, I'm going to really wonder why I have spent over $150K on motorcycles the last 40 years of riding! I haven't even tinkered with testing the power etc being 0 miles on the speedo when picked up. Where has this thing BEEN my whole life.......Mike

·
Registered
794 Posts
So ... let us know

Quit holding back. Let us know how you really feel.

Congratulations!!

Regards,

Dan

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I played with the shift function a few times during the first week; haven't touched it since. At least for the kind of riding I've been doing, the SECVT seems to be able to handle that chore just fine.

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I took my back rest (AKA "butt stop") clear out until I can get the Corbin saddle, and it gave me several inches of much needed knee room. I will probably get the Clearview XXL windshield, but until then I wear a full-face helemt, and wear earplugs on long highway trips.

1777 miles since 6/9/04, and loving every mile of it!

(That's an average of 61.27586206896551724137931034482 miles per day, but of course there have been 4 days that I haven't ridden it, and several days where I went more than 100 miles. One 180 mile day. Two 300 mile days. Can you tell that I'm lovin' it?)

·
Registered
209 Posts
1- Where on earth IS the oil fill??????
Sit on the bike. Look straight down. See that screw? Remove it. Dink around with the plastic until it comes off. Be gentle, don't break it. You'll see it on the left side.

2-Looks like it is PRE WIRED for my battery tender? My dealer didn't even know and I find NOTHING in my owners manual??????
Not a clue, but if it is, great!

3-Did everyone else lind of go into a state of SHOCK after a 8 mile trip home on theirs????
Of course!

The wind NAILS me from the chin up. DEAF by the time I got home (wear a Beanie Helmet-DON"T lecture!).
Ahem!!! AHEM!!!! AHEM!!!! Sorry, had to clear my throat. Yes, a new windshield. :)

The seat backrest kind of "crowds me" and it IS moved all the way back. I can buy other seats
Yup, some people have taken the backrest off. I think that leaves a hole though. New seat is in order. There's a review on the Corbin here if ya haven't read it yet.

...and yes, it needs a stereo, cd player, tv, kitchen sink, dishwasher, clothes washer, dryer, etc...

...and congrats! I've had mine for 35 days now, and have put 2264 miles on it thus far.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Brian said:
I played with the shift function a few times during the first week; haven't touched it since. At least for the kind of riding I've been doing, the SECVT seems to be able to handle that chore just fine.

I'm 6'5" with a 36" inseam. I took my back rest (AKA "butt stop") clear out until I can get the Corbin saddle, and it gave me several inches of much needed knee room. I will probably get the Clearview XXL windshield, but until then I wear a full-face helemt, and wear earplugs on long highway trips.

1777 miles since 6/9/04, and loving every mile of it!

(That's an average of 61.27586206896551724137931034482 miles per day, but of course there have been 4 days that I haven't ridden it, and several days where I went more than 100 miles. One 180 mile day. Two 300 mile days. Can you tell that I'm lovin' it?)
Can you tell me HOW to get rid of that backrest? Thanks! Mike

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Not a clue, but if it is, great!

If I open my seat, there is a connector that plugs right into my battery tender I used to use on my 1500LC. I couldn't believe it! Goes right to the battery. I'm bewildered by this as I had to wire all mine directly to the battery MYSELF......

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy (Mike),

It's great to see you rambling on so enthusiastically... I kinda think you LIKE that big scooter! :wink:

The dieseling noise is just part of the legend. Did you ever own a motorcycle that didn't make some unique noise(s)?

The oil fill is under the hood (hump cover). One screw to pull, and the rest is snap fittings. Getting all the snap fittings lined up properly when you replace it takes a little practice - stiil drives me nuts.

It's definitely not pre-wired for your battery tender. Those two terminals on top of the battery cover are part of the starter solenoid - you don't want to hook up anything to them. Got to pull the battery cover (there is a push pin just behind it) and hook up your harness for the battery tender to the battery terminals - just like always. No big deal - at least the battery is easy to get to.

Got three choices on the wind noise. Better helmet, bigger windscreen, or earplugs - but you already know that...

Get rid of that butt-stop backrest and you'll have all the legroom you need. Two little set screws on the slider rods under the seat - the right one is usually absurdly tight.

You are on your own with installing the TV, Refrigerator and half bath...

Congratulations and Enjoy!

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks, That answes my BIG stuff. Now, it DOES have the part that plugs ointo a Battery Tender. HONEST! If there is a place to post a picture, or someplace I can e mail a picture, I can snap a picture and post it NOW! I just checked, it has a wire to EACH terminal on my battery, ready to plyg into my Tender. Problem IS, I gave it away to the buyer of my 1500CC Bike last week. But I'll buy 3 more. I now have 3 new scooters....

·
Registered
925 Posts
Congratulations on your purchase Pappy!!! Hope you enjoy many, many, many safe miles in the future.

JD 8)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Pappy said:
Now, it DOES have the part that plugs ointo a Battery Tender. HONEST!
I dunno. My '03 didn't have it. Best guess is that the dealership installed it. Maybe they almost sold the machine once before, and installed it at the customer's request? Or maybe they know about BurgmanUSA.com & did it as a practical joke to drive us all nuts!

Hey, there should be an inline fuse on that harness. Little black plastic box on one of the harness wires. Check it. The battery tenders use a 3 amp blade fuse. If it has a higher rated fuse, it was put there for something else. Battery tenders aren't the only things that use SAE style connectors... but anything else would have required a 10 or 15 amp fuse.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
pauljo said:
Pappy said:
Now, it DOES have the part that plugs ointo a Battery Tender. HONEST!
I dunno. My '03 didn't have it. Best guess is that the dealership installed it. Maybe they almost sold the machine once before, and installed it at the customer's request? Or maybe they know about BurgmanUSA.com & did it as a practical joke to drive us all nuts!

Hey, there should be an inline fuse on that harness. Little black plastic box on one of the harness wires. Check it. The battery tenders use a 3 amp blade fuse. If it has a higher rated fuse, it was put there for something else. Battery tenders aren't the only things that use SAE style connectors... but anything else would have required a 10 or 15 amp fuse.
It's all there, I SWEAR! Had my Tender since my new Harley in 1998 and on a dozen bikes since? Took 3 pictures if ya want an e mail? This beast has so MUCH hi tec stuff I'm just flat out spooked is all!

1 - 20 of 32 Posts