Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered a set of helmet speakers Wednesday for $39.99 (shipping included) using PayPal from a link off the LINKS PAGE here from http://www.bikeintercom.com/products/helmet_speakers.html.
I also sent an email to mailto:[email protected] and have gotten no response to my shipping information inquiry. I have received no tracking email from UPS. There is a number on their website and I left a message regarding my order. Hopefully the speakers will arrive without a problem.

·
Registered
164 Posts
I had tried to purchase a pair like that from Clearer Communications, I never received a reply, or the item. The credit card company finally refunded my money.

The company you bought from is a different company, so I wish you luck! :lol:

Actually, since the other speakers didn't show up, I made my own.

I took a pair of detached, over the ear headphones and removed the plastic "ear piece" on each one. Then, each speaker went into the helmet ear pocket. They work really well!

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
I found and have been working with a pair like you describe from Audiobahn that I am finding to be quite promising. I'll keep you posted with my findings.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I spoke today with someone from the company. He actually returned my message and called! :) Apparently their website changed hosts last week (also) and the Emails that should have gone out were not 'working' for 2 days.
He assured me the helmet speakers were sent out that same day and (since they ship from Canada and will arrive through snail mail) they should be here in 5 business days from shipping so I should see them tomorrow or Wednesday. I received my HJC CL-14 full-faced Silver (cuz they're the fastest ;)) helmet today and I will be using it for the first time tonight as I have some maintenance window (it's a comm. tech. thang) work tonight about 33 miles from home. More on the helmet later.

·
Premium Member
4,516 Posts
Got my helmet & earphone speakers from http://www.Sierra Electronics.com Got the 3/4 helmet & the $35.00 earphone speakers fit perfect. The helmet is an HJC & the speakers come from Germany. Got the 1/8 inch stereo plug & a Chatterbox AM/FM mini radio...$30.00. Sounds great. :lol:

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm not pleased with the sound quality from the speakers I ordered. I do like the 'patch cord' idea but I've never liked those 90-degree 'elbow' that the patch cord has at the stereo end. They did FIT perfect but are too small/cheesy to produce good quality sound from my little MP3 player. They are prone to developing opens (sound goes silent, comes back on, goes silent, rinse/repeat). Guess I will have to use the earbuds and deal with buds falling out of ear rather than only hearing loudest parts of the songs. :(
I would not recommend them to anyone. They get my "Boycott" :protest:

PS. that http://www.sierra link isn't working

·
Registered
164 Posts
I took a pair of detached, over (on) the ear headphones and removed the plastic "ear piece" on each one. Then, each speaker went into the helmet ear pocket. They work really well!

For example, these headphones:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008VIX2/qid=1118961710

For the cord, I have it coiled in the helmet with just the plug sticking out. That way, I have the choice of music or no music.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Spunkysquid,

I did read your other post about doing that and that is what I will probably try next. I can't understand why these are so quiet other than maybe the fact they are so small. :(

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Stu,

The Audiobahn ABN-150 speakers I found were on eBay (as I write this there are 4 sets available, all starting at .99 bids). They are an over the ear type similar to the ones that Spunkysquid was describing above. I have removed the plastic over the ear part (as SS did) and velcroed them into the helmet ear pockets and I have to say they have the best bass response I have found in a pair of speakers this small. The mids & highs are quite good too. The only drawback is that they, being Audiobahn speakers, are not the most efficient of speakers and I'm thinking of finding a little amp to drive them a bit harder than my MP3 player is capable of.

I just cannot handle tinny, staticy cheap sounding speakers and I think I've found a winner with this pair. I am going to install a setup similar to what Pete has described with the powered sub under the seat and a nice pair of speakers on the bars or the console. This way I think I'll have all the bases covered either way.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I am leaning towards spending as little as possible with the idea of eventually installing a high quality pair of speakers and microphone in helmet with all the noise cancelling bells and whistles. I'd like to eventually add a C.B. and convert the flash-to-pass into push-to-talk.
I just haven't made a final decision on the system I want but I'm coming to the conclusion (from prices and the fact I have 5 kids and can only sink so much into it at a time) that I need to go with a modular setup, one that I can build upon and add to. I only bought the MP3 player (and wanted to not have to deal with the earbuds) as a temporary music solution since I'm quite addicted to my 'oldie' classic rock tunes.
What I do not want is to invest hundreds and have to upgrade or replace.
The MP3 player I was planning on handing-down to one of our kids.
Years ago I used to have a C.B. (well, several - from age 13 until I was in my late 20's) and on my truck I had a 'peaked/tweeked/freq'd' Cobra 148 GTL complete with VOX and other personalized features which I've talked as far as Melbourne with. I have no intention of sitting on top of a hill 'shooting skip' with my 400 but it's a good way to communicate to others on the road around me. So I would definately want a C.B. as well as FM/CD, minimum. With usage of more than 1 audio I will need additionally a controller should I decide to use some type of override system to block music when squelch is broken, etc.
So, I may spend another $20 on speakers to be dissected or I may just wait and purchase a higher-quality helmet solution.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Thanks SS! That was exactly what I had in mind! Now I shop to get a better price (yes it is quite reasonable, but hey! I'm choor (cheap + poor)).

The speaker set I got on eBay for $27.95 delivered. The Audiobahns cost me $8.00 delivered (eBay again) & my 1GB MP3 player/stereo FM tuner/thumb drive combo unit (about 3 oz w/ battery) came to <$75.00, once again after considerable auction watching/shopping on eBay.

Grand total so far: $112, spread over 2 months. Add that to the FRS/GMRS radios I already have for racing, and I'm almost home for all the basic electronic goodies I could want on my bike. GPS is going to take a while, the Silver Bullet radar detector is already on the bike (great value for an upper end detector, which I have as a spare for the Lightning, not a vehicle to drive w/o one!) & I still have to find a way to tie it all together, but I'm still pretty happy with my results so far.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Assuming the problem is my MP3 player (uses 1 AAA) and not the itsy-bitsy speakers I paid too much $$ for I suppose I owe them a chance. The Boostaroo is something else I can recycle (the kids love to share - yeah riiiight). I'll extend it and call it a father's day gift to myself (how generous I am! ;)).
Thanks again for the link Spunkysquid! :D

1 - 13 of 13 Posts