Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey folks, I bought my '04 650 yesterday to commute 45 miles each way into Washington, D.C. via the HOV-3 lane. I paid $6,606 and don't know if I was taken or not. Anyway, after reading the forum for a considerable time, I can tell I need a few items. The problem is, I can't find many of the items I've read about.

First, I can't find a website to order a taller Clearview windscreen. How much taller is it anyway? I'm 6'3" and seem to tower a good 12 inches over the stock screen.

Second, I can't find a source for the Catapillar 8M-5266, Fat, Yellow O-Ring. I'd like to order several since they seem to be hard to track down.

Finally, what recommendations do you have for rain gear? I'm hoping to find a breathable two-piece that's relatively light. I dont' mind buying top dollar for good quality.

Anyway, that's enough for now. I'd appreciate any help with these issues...
J.D.

·
Registered
120 Posts
You must call Clearview to order a replacement screen. The toll free # is on the website. They make different heights. They will ask you questions to determine the size best for your ride. I have an XL, so I look thru the screen. Clearview has now got the option of vents.

Welcome to the forum

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
harrinj said:
First, I can't find a website to order a taller Clearview windscreen. How much taller is it anyway? I'm 6'3" and seem to tower a good 12 inches over the stock screen.

Second, I can't find a source for the Catapillar 8M-5266, Fat, Yellow O-Ring. I'd like to order several since they seem to be hard to track down.
You have to call Clearview regarding windscreen orders for the Burgman.
The Burgman screens are not listed on the website, but you can get their toll free number there.

http://www.clearviewshields.com/

I bought my yellow O-ring at Nebraska Machinery. I am local, so I just rode over and bought them. But I think they might take a phone order.

http://www.nebraska-machinery.com/

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Rain Gear

A lot of the Gold Wingers are going to the rain suits by
Frogg Toggs: http://hutchville.com/frog-togs-jackets-n-coats.shtml

The material looks like a fuzzy polypropalene. The water doesn't stick
to and and it breaths really well. I'm not sure which model they use
for bikes. This "suit" would go over your jacket and pants.

Personally, I have an number of older DryRider nylon suits that
look good. They don't breath though.

Before that, I had an English
made jacket that used waxed Egytian Cottom. I would have died in
Cananda if it weren't for the wool sweaters. They kept me warm despite the trickle of water coming down my front and back. I threw that
jacket in the dumpster when I got home.

One aspect ot rain suits is that you want to be able to step into it
. There's nothing worse than being under a freeway overpass, in a downpour, and finding out that you're going to have to take off your boots to put the rain suit on.

Also, you need rain boots. Either Tingly over boots or water proof
bike boots. Trash bags don't work. I've tried them.

I remember one bike I had, that was similar to the Burgie. Due to
sitting up right, the water formed a puddle on my lap, which eventually
leaked through. Mr Happy was not so happy.

Be aware that Rain and super cold will require one type of rain gear/jacket. Hot steamy rain would require something different.

The only jacket/pant that will do it all is the aerostich. The shell is tough
and breaths super well in the hot. The inner vest is electrified, so you
can turn up the heat. They're water proof. If you want premium stuff,
this is it. You see a lot of BMW riders with 175K miles wearing aerostich.
They're pretty faded, but still working.

Oh yes, be carefull in the rain. I usually find a hotel and wait it
out.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Ditto on the Frog Togs. We gave them a good workout this spring and summer on our trip to the west coast. They worked great for both rain and warmth.

·
Registered
370 Posts
I see what happened. I found this note, but *you* weren't the one that put in the #'s. You just quoted his text. I did find your other notes with the correct #. I ordered a few to offer for sale at Golden Aspen Rally for a couple of bucks each..
Sorry, my error.
Thanks bud.
jac

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
harrinj:
Our own "Web Links" list a few places and look under "Lotsa favorite sites"
Flintbobbi gave us that post and it's a good list.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Thanks Randy. Many a night was spent surfin' the web to find those sites...

I just got my Frogg Toggs, but alas, the Arizona Monsoons have yet to drench me for a test run on them.

Perhaps the torrential storm/rains of Florida will drift to the West? I hope everyone in Florida stays safe.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
jacvinson said:
I see what happened. I found this note, but *you* weren't the one that put in the #'s. You just quoted his text. I did find your other notes with the correct #. I ordered a few to offer for sale at Golden Aspen Rally for a couple of bucks each..
Sorry, my error.
Thanks bud.
jac
No problem. I removed the quote from your post, and edited all the others in this thread that had the incorrect part number for the Caterpillar O-Ring. Hopefully only the correct part number is showing now so that others won't have the problem.

It was funny at Scootercade. I've got that custom seat, Remus exhaust, Ikon shocks - but the thing that generated the most interest was that O-ring throttle lock. I must have demo'd it a dozen times.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Throttle control O-Rings

Following Pauljos' advice. I contacted the orginal sources and now will be selling the much discussed Orings for throttle control. They were $3.15 plus shipping, but when the quantity is high enough the price drops.. "we're professionals, don't try this at home" :lol:
I'll be listing them on our website after the Golden Aspen Rally. Probably in the $2.50 - $3.00 range including regular postage.
If anyone wants one "right now" just let me know. I'll be out of town from the 12th - 19th.
jac
http://www.rvtoys.net

·
Registered
370 Posts
Followup on O-Ring

I have to hand it to Pauljo;
This little oring trick for throttle control is a big winner. It never occured to me that Pauljo would be wrong or misleading, but I didn't expect this idea to work as well as it does. I actually just got to try it out within the last couple of days (been busy getting ready for the NM rally) and was really tickled how neatly it served it's function. And for just a couple of bucks!!
Thanks Pauljo
Jac

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Re: Followup on O-Ring

jacvinson said:
I have to hand it to Pauljo;
This little oring trick for throttle control is a big winner. It never occured to me that Pauljo would be wrong or misleading, but I didn't expect this idea to work as well as it does. I actually just got to try it out within the last couple of days (been busy getting ready for the NM rally) and was really tickled how neatly it served it's function. And for just a couple of bucks!!
Thanks Pauljo
Jac
Ha! Don't let your guard down, I've been wrong before! :wink:

But I'm glad you like the o-ring throttle lock trick. It does work well.

·
Registered
368 Posts
I'd love one now, who do I call and what is the name and or part number?

Any pics of it on the scooter?

thanks

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
Info shamelessly stolen from earlier posts :

pauljo said:
It is a fat yellow O-ring, Caterpiller part no. 8M 4991. There is also the Caterpillar part no. 8M 5266. Either one works - there is a slight variance in size.

One online supplier for these O-Rings is http://www.marcorubber.com

Look in the online store, silicone o-rings, size 318

·
Registered
30,277 Posts

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Just one caution. I'm not sure about the 318 ring size in the online store. Just passing on what someone else had suggested.

The Caterpillar parts numbers are correct though. I've tried both. Somebody I demo'd the o-ring to at Scootercade went to a Caterpillar parts place - and they actually had the o-ring listed as a "motorcycle throttle lock"! Probably Doug or Jac - I can't remember who told me.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Just to be clear, is the O-ring sitting in the gap between the rubberish throttle handle and the plastic outer handle cap? Essentially creating enough friction to overcome the return spring and keep the throttle handle wherever you've rotated it to?

Sorry, but this is all new to me. The one thing I sorely missed on my first long ride (home from the dealership) was some sort of cruise control. Does the O-ring serve that purpose, or just relieve your wrist from constantly having to hold the throttle open?

Dave B.

·
Registered
30,277 Posts
4DThinker said:
Just to be clear, is the O-ring sitting in the gap between the rubberish throttle handle and the plastic outer handle cap? Essentially creating enough friction to overcome the return spring and keep the throttle handle wherever you've rotated it to?
Yes to both... but not so much friction that you can't twist the throttle either direction as necessary.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts