Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having a little trouble forming my question so -
First let me say I like my 400 and it does all I need it to do. I put on about 500 miles a week most of it (80%) at the speed limit, 70 mph. the bike is running fine and feels strong.
My question or concern is at 280 lbs and 100 deg. temp's am I pushing it a little hard ? Am I just going to wear it out to soon :?:
My dealer is offering a deal on a trade for a 650 ,but like I said I like the 400 -weight-mpg-ins.-handeling- ect......So what do you think. :?

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Depends on what kind of deal the guy is offering. But first do you want a 650 or not. If no then its not much of a deal. I dont have a 400 so cant really comment on how hard you're pushing the machine.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Randy,

500 miles a week??? Hmmm... I put 22,000 miles on my 1985 Gold Wing in one year. You might beat that. Properly maintained, your machine should still be good for at least 5 or 6 years. Probably more. Yeah, you'll probably have to replace a wornout part or two, but you'd have to do that on a 650 also.

If you like it, keep it. I can't see a Japanese engine not going the distance. It may be spinning fast at those higher speeds, but it is watercooled, so it should deal with the heat just fine.

In your situation I would recommend running synthetic oil, or at least a synthetic blend. That will help reduce wear from the high rpms. I would also change all the fluids on the bike annually (anti-freeze, brake & clutch fluid too). And you'll want to keep your eyes on the wheel bearings - they'll need replacement from time to time. I'd do the same things with a 650 doing that kind of mileage.

The 400 is a good looking machine, and it is definitely less expensive to operate. If I had shorter legs, I probably would be riding one. :wink:

·
Registered
220 Posts
I would agree with migz123. At 280 you should be on a 650. I only weigh 145 and have no trouble handling the extra weight of the 650.

The 650 engine is so strong that with your weight it wouldn't be stressed at all, whereas I think the 400 would be working harder and probably wouldn't last as long.

·
Registered
605 Posts
Good question...we all ponder this and luckily Suzuki has given us the opportunity to make that choice! 650 or 400. Uhm, I pondered this before I bought and since I already had a number of other bikes so my choice was clear. My other bikes have me covered for long hyway trips so having a 400 made the most sense for the city. If your only mount will be a mega scooter then I would definitely go for the 650.

The 400 gets better mileage, cheaper insurance and easier maintenance (at least upto the point of doing the valve clearances). When I do ride it on the highway its working hard at 70-80 mph. The engine is pretty bullet proof though...rolling bearing crankshaft (just like their old GS series engines) that can run with lower oil pressures and even tolerate lengther oil changes (not recommended) and because it doesn't have the gears like manual tranny M/C, less metal deposits in the oil. There is some ploke in GB that was featured in an issue of TwistnGo that had over 70,000 miles on his. No usual sounds and still going strong but he did change his oil more often than recommended. The only reliability problems maybe with the tranny. The belt needs to be replaced and maybe the clutch and sieves need to be looked at after 12K miles and 30K miles for the clutch.

·
Registered
2,070 Posts
Randy, I'm a new 400 owner, having traded my 250cc Honda Reflex a couple weeks ago. Previously I have owned two Honda Helix..basically the same engine in a diff frame. I like riding interstate/beltway speeds and did so regularly with these scooters, running them wide open...around 8000 rpm. At about the same speed, the 400 is only runing 7000rpm.

I don't think you can hurt these engines by running them hard. Just keep the oil changed...more often than recommended. I prefer and have always used synthetic, but that is a personal choice. I think it handles the heat better without breaking down.

As to weight, they are made to carry 2 people, so your weight is no where near too much. As others have said, it comes down to mainly what you prefer.

I absolutely love my 400, compared to the 250's. Just the right amount of power and speed that I like. The weight of the 650 is not something I want to have to deal with....not at age 69. Earlier on in life, it would have been great for long trips.

My only complaint with the 400 is the seat...cannot get comfortable with it; anything over 25 miles and I'm squirming around trying to get relief for the tailbone. Have spent hours adjusting the backrest, and yesterday fashioned some brackets to lift it up an inch or so. Haven't tested it yet, but I'm sure that won't solve the sore tailbone. May have to pull off the seat cover this winter and insert a gel pad like one of the other members did.

·
Registered
793 Posts
Randy, keep your 400.
I want to throw in (along with the suggested synthetic oil) to install the cooler range spark plug to keep the cylinder chamber/head temperature lower.

The liquid cooling thermostat will allow for fast warmup anyway while using
the cooler plug.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Decision make :!:
My thanks to the forum , I will keep the 400 and follow the good advice also . :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts