1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Here is a 2009 Executive, 982 miles, Ebay. What would be a reasonable offer?
Whatever you are willing to pay.

It's a 6 year old machine. Personally, I'd certainly pay no more than half of its original price. I'd be more inclined to pay 35-40% of that. But my willingness pay be way above or way below what others are selling for (generally, I seem to pay too much for stuff). Look at see what other ones are selling for, base your offer off that, but don't offer more than you are willing to pay.

I'd certainly not pay anywhere close to $5875 for it, I can tell you that much.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
Whatever you are willing to pay.
That too is my philosophy...Come up with a price you're comfortable with and stick with it. Make the offer and be willing to walk away if declined.

I'd offer $4500

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
That too is my philosophy...Come up with a price you're comfortable with and stick with it. Make the offer and be willing to walk away if declined.

I'd offer $4500
Yes, but offering what you're comfortably with is not realistic unless you're in the ballpark. I'd be comfortably offering $2k, but that would never be accepted. If one is not "comfortable" with a reasonable offer, then perhaps it's time too look at more affordable bikes.

But $4500 sounds about right for an six YO executive, maybe 5k as its very clean. Even though basically new, you are now into changing rubber territory, coolant too, battery, brake hoses, etc. expensive stuff. Not that you'd do all those repairs, but it's a bargaining chip to mention.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes, but offering what you're comfortably with is not realistic unless you're in the ballpark. I'd be comfortably offering $2k, but that would never be accepted.

But $4500 sounds about right for an six YO executive, maybe 5k as its very clean. Even though basically new, you are now into changing rubber territory, coolant too, battery, brake hoses, etc. expensive stuff. Not that you'd do it, but it's a bargaining chip to mention.

Good advice. I recently bought a 09 Vespa scooter and the rear tire blew with just 1900 miles on it. Almost lost control of the thing. No doubt, tires would need replacement, etc.

In reality, I want a new Burgman 650 anyway, but may make the guy a $4,000 offer.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
In reality, I want a new Burgman 650 anyway, but may make the guy a $4,000 offer.
I have a very firm rule, NEVER buy a bike new unless it's a brand new model you really want, AND you intend on keeping it for a LONG time, like 10 years, AND you use it a lot. It's the only way to get your money's worth out of a new bike premium.

Also, I haven't ridden one, but Personally, I'm not sure I'd like the new 650. Lots of reports of a midrange power lull due to the Eco thing and lack of engine braking from the new clutch. But to each their own.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have a very firm rule, NEVER buy a bike new unless it's a brand new model you really want, AND you intend on keeping it for a LONG time, like 10 years, AND you use it a lot. It's the only way to get your money's worth out of a new bike premium.

Also, I haven't ridden one, but Personally, I'm not sure I'd like the new 650. Lots of reports of a midrange power lull due to the Eco thing and lack of engine braking from the new clutch. But to each their own.
Yes, your "rule" is much like mine. However, switching from my Wing to a Burgman is a big move, so I'm considering the possibility of buying used at a bargain, then moving up to a new Burgman once I've decided it's the right move.

I've not heard of that "lull" issue with the 2015. The less engine braking issue doesn't mean much to me, but some feel may add to the reliability of the CVT. In my 10 mile test tide of an old Burgman, the engine braking was not a problem. I liked everything about it, digital speedometer, etc. It was not the Executive model.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Doesn't really matter much if what is "reasonable" or what the seller wants is more than what the buyer is willing to pay.

Personally, I'm not really interested in "negotiation" and dicking around and going back and forth and whatever. I will offer the most I am willing to pay. You may be willing to take less than that - if so - too bad for me. But I don't have the time and energy to try to get everything I buy for the absolutely least possible price that I can.

Works that way when I sell something too. I will put on a price that I'm willing to take, rather than a high price so that I can screw around "negotiating down" the price. One time I was selling a washing machine on Craigslist for $100. Very very good price. Some girl emails me - offers me $90. WTF? Is $10 whole dollars that much to you? So I email her back - I offer it at $125. She returned my email, complaining that I had listed it at $100 and now I want $125. So I responded - and explained that yes, I had listed it at $100, which is what I was willing to sell it for, but she wasn't happy with that price and wanted to negotiate the price. So I accommodated her wishes and set a new price. By the time she emailed me back later that same day to call me a big jerk and accuse me of wasting her time, someone else had already agreed to buy it for $100 (which was about half of what I probably COULD have sold it for), came over RIGHT AWAY before anyone else did, and was loading it in the back of his truck as her email came in. I was sure to email her to let her know.

Moral? When something is already a deal, don't get greedy and try to "negotiate" - it tends to just piss people off.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
He wants too much. $5875?

Here is a 2011 for $5500:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2011-Suzuki-Burgman-650-Exec-114441029

Sure, it has 4700 miles, but that's nothing. It's also not materially different from 900 or so miles. I'd rather have the bike that is 2 years newer.

Even better, here is a 2012 for $5500, with 4200 miles:
http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2012-Suzuki-Burgman-650-EXECUTIVE-114496715

It's 3 years newer, cheaper asking price, and not materially different miles.

Same site also has a 2012 with 1700 miles for $5700.

Given those prices - no way I would pay more than $4500, absolute tops for the 2009 you listed in the OP, and that's if I really, really wanted it.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
4 months ago, I sold my 07 Standard 650 in excellent condition with 20,500 miles for $3500. Your prospect is 2 model years newer, is an Exec. and has 1/20th the mileage. I'm with Liam - $4500 would be a nice get, $5000 is fine if you really like it, and want to start riding tomorrow. I bought a new 2014 for $10,000 otd, but if the bike you're looking at was for sale in my market area for $4500 at the time I was ready to buy - I'd be riding a 'like-new' '09 right now.

I generally agree that newer is better if you think you're going to sell it in a couple of years. If you're buying it for the long term, the 09 is a younger bike than a 5000 mile 2012. In this case, I'd go with the 09 based on mileage and the fact that I hate the instrument panel on the '11 and '12 model.

Keep in mind that any pre 2013 model is increasingly going to be considered 'old'.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Lots of Burgman 650s for sale in Michigan and Midwest.
Why not check out those?
Also, my offer to come and ride my 650's stand--one has a dark side tire also.
I just came back from a 2000 Mile trip to Quebec City including one 800 Mile day. I could have done more if needed. The bike is that comfortable with a GIVI WS and a cheap back rest.
Simba

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Lots of Burgman 650s for sale in Michigan and Midwest.
Why not check out those?
Also, my offer to come and ride my 650's stand--one has a dark side tire also.
I just came back from a 2000 Mile trip to Quebec City including one 800 Mile day. I could have done more if needed. The bike is that comfortable with a GIVI WS and a cheap back rest.
Simba
Good evening, Simbaboy

I do intend on taking you up on your offer of a test ride. However, rode an old 650 Burgman a few days ago at Village Motorsports in Grand Rapids. Loved the thing.

No doubt, the Burgman 650 will be my last bike, so when I buy, I want at least a 2013, updated transmission, etc. I see a few new 2013's on Craigslist, but not many.

Also, I do have my Gold Wing advertised, at what I consider a bargain price, but almost zero interest. Once I sell the Wing, my Burgman mission will intensify greatly! If it doesn't sell, then may wait for the new 2016 Burgman.

I am looking forward to my ride to Dewitt, meet you, look at your Burgman, possibly ride it, etc. I greatly appreciate your kind offer.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Good evening, Simbaboy

I do intend on taking you up on your offer of a test ride. However, rode an old 650 Burgman a few days ago at Village Motorsports in Grand Rapids. Loved the thing.

No doubt, the Burgman 650 will be my last bike, so when I buy, I want at least a 2013, updated transmission, etc. I see a few new 2013's on Craigslist, but not many.

Also, I do have my Gold Wing advertised, at what I consider a bargain price, but almost zero interest. Once I sell the Wing, my Burgman mission will intensify greatly! If it doesn't sell, then may wait for the new 2016 Burgman.

I am looking forward to my ride to Dewitt, meet you, look at your Burgman, possibly ride it, etc. I greatly appreciate your kind offer.
anytime. [email protected]
Simba

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Also, I do have my Gold Wing advertised, at what I consider a bargain price, but almost zero interest.
You have to advertise it at what *potential buyers* consider a bargain price.

Go to cycle trader, collect info on 25 bikes just like yours. Most comparable ones, based on year & mileage. Calculate their average advertised price, then whack 25% off that. Advertise at that price AND point out in your ad that's how you got your price. If your price is already lower than this, just whack 10% per week until it's gone.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #16 (Edited)
You have to advertise it at what *potential buyers* consider a bargain price.

Go to cycle trader, collect info on 25 bikes just like yours. Most comparable ones, based on year & mileage. Calculate their average advertised price, then whack 25% off that. Advertise at that price AND point out in your ad that's how you got your price. If your price is already lower than this, just whack 10% per week until it's gone.
Excellent idea. Thanks. However, I'll be extremely busy this Summer, so little touring long distance, so may just keep the Wing, sell it early next Spring, get a 2016 Burgman, or maybe Honda will replace the outdated Silverwing with something comparable to the Burgman. I have an excellent Honda dealer, but not one good Suzuki dealer within 100 miles. miles.

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Excellent idea. Thanks. However, I'll be extremely busy this Summer, so little touring long distance, so may just keep the Wing, sell it early next Spring, get a 2016 Burgman, or maybe Honda will replace the outdated Silverwing with something comparable to the Burgman. I have an excellent Honda dealer, but not one good Suzuki dealer within 100 miles. miles.
I keep my Honda Reflex not because I really need it, but because it's not worth much money. For the $500-$1000 I could get for it, I'd rather just have it sitting in the garage for possible alternate transportation if I need it. I imagine the expense of doing that with a Goldwing is quite a bit more though.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
gec343 . is this your bike ? http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/mcy/5023620740.html

TheReaper!

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
1 - 19 of 19 Posts