Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This one has been for sale for some time (at least a month or so):

http://losangeles.craigslist.org/lgb/mcy/4724728949.html

Has higher miles than i would like at approximately 15K, my question on that would be if this is considered "high" miles for these scoots or no? Whats the expected life out of these motors if taken care of properly?
Another thing, the bike does have evidence of tipping over on the right side. I had the seller send me some better pics of the damage and it actually doesn't look that bad in photos, I could have a different opinion on that if seen in person which i haven't done yet because the bike is a little over 200 miles away. Current owner bought it that way as well.
Bike is stock, and seller states it has been maintained (oil changes). I mentioned that the service interval requires belt replacement at 14.5K miles along with a valve check and possible adjustment, which is expensive if taken to a shop.
At any rate he said he'll come down to $3,500.
I will only consider ABS models so I've limited myself to 2011+ models....
So what do you all think?
Much Thanks!
Pete

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
15K is nothing, and better than bike just sitting; more important how it was run in and maintained. Live inspection usually tells more.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Looks like a pretty good deal to me. Appears to be well maintained and not laid down. Considering how many miles others have gotten out of their Burgs that is not a high number especially since it is mostly highway.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Okay 15k is nothing, engine wise. Mine has 42k and runs like a champ.

However at 20k, you're gonna need a belt &'rollers $300 for parts, and possibly tires, $250. Valve check, would probably be a good idea, but that's debatable. Its probably due for a coolant change in a year. I go though rear brakes every 20k as I use them a lot, but they're cheap.

So looks like you'll have some expenses in another 5k. I don't know how many miles you intend ride, but 5k is six months to a year of moderate riding. Start saving.

Should be a nice bike though. $3500 is a good deal for an abs machine. If you can have him chip in a bit, say $200, for the stuff that will need replacement in 5k, I'd say you got a great deal.

You should also plan for extras like a backrest, $100-$200; seat pad $100; and possibly a windscreen. GPS?

15k miles tells me it's been ridden moderately and well exercised. You shouldn't have any problems associated with it just sitting for years on end.

Good luck.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
How long do these engines last? We don't know. I don't think anyone has ever worn one out.

My 2011 has 47K and is not particularly pampered. I do regular oil changes. Parts when required. I really am going to check the valves one of these days.

·
Registered
77 Posts
As a proud owner of a 2012 400, I can tell you that I would TOTALLY scoop that up! In white? Getouttown! As to the neighborhood, though, I'd take a friend along. Let me know if you need some company.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
I put 46k on my 07 before selling two years ago so 15k is no big deal. If you are interested you had better jump on this deal before it's sold out from under you.;)

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
This one has been for sale for some time (at least a month or so):
Pete
The youtube video he links to in his add was posted Jun 14, 2014 so he's had it for sale for at least four months.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok guys, I have a tentative deal on this bike for $3,400. Asked about tires and they were replaced around 10K miles and are good. BRCnative, I asked the seller if he'd meet me a little North of LA and he obliged, so were meeting at the 101/27 in Woodland Hills so I'm really happy about that! So should be ok to "go it alone" but thanks!
Model28a, current owner (second) says he's had it for about 5 months and has only ridden it for about 1,500 miles. He said he already has one or two motorcycles and several cars. I'm guessing video was taken near the time when he first acquired it?
Anything i should pay extra attention to when looking over the bike? He's riding it there and having his wife drive him back.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
so were meeting at the 101/27 in Woodland Hills so I'm really happy about that! So should be ok to "go it alone" but thanks!.
Dude, that's down the street from my house. There's a rite Aid and Starbucks nearby that intersection. All the bikers meet there to ride the canyons nearby.

Let me know if you'd like me to meet you guys, take it for a test ride. I run a scooter group so I've ridden several 400s and mine for eight years, I'll have an "informed" opinion. But I am going out of town this weekend. Good luck!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Liamjs, small world!
Unfortunately timings off, deal is supposed to happen this weekend, but thanks for offering to meet up and check the bike out. If anything gets pushed back I'll let you know.

One last question, how do you tie down a scooter, with all the plastic everywhere?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
atownbrg do you have your motorcycle license? If so the best way to adapt to your "new" scooter would be to ride it home. If something did happen to go wrong with the bike on the way home you would have whoever brought you to pick it up following you.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Your right guys, but since this happened pretty last minute i stuck having to go it alone to pick it up. No biggie, i'll figure it out! Just didn't want to damage anything.

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
One last question, how do you tie down a scooter, with all the plastic everywhere?

You need 4 ratchet ties down and tie-down extensions.
The 400 has two tie down "hooks" or "loops" in the rear of the bike,(something the 650 doesn't have...wink wink) that can be used to tie down and secure it to a trailer.

The front of the bike can be secured by a wheel chock or using tie down extensions around the steering stem assembly. There's also a product called "Canyon Dancers" that you can use to secure the front of the bike.

Not clear on what your plans are for loading the bike onto the trailer...but a word of caution,
loading ramps are very risky, they provide no balance. Whatever you use, make sure you have solid footing that will allow you to walk up along side the bike.

Once the bike is on the trailer, DO NOT use center stand. Use side kick stand to first secure the bike. Then set up the ratchets with a little slack on the side of the bike with the kick stand. The slack will allow the bike to move to a straight position when you ratchet down the other side. Now begin to ratchet the opposite side. The bike will be secure from falling when you're pulling it towards the non kick stand side. Once the bike is straight, tighten all ratchets down.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dan711,
Thanks very much for the info on the tie down, that was exactly what i was looking for!
Unfortunately, the seller backed out of the sale, and its no longer listed.
On the hunt again!

·
Premium Member
794 Posts
I bought 2011 with 5100 miles in DEC 2013 for $4150 in NC and started riding in Jan 2014 after I got title squared away and a TN Title on it. It had a few scratches due to Pre Owner dropping it (left kickstand up). Not bad and I pretty well coveerd them up with decorative tape.

I have 22k on it now. I Put Car Tire on rear at 6200 miles.

So far no problems, but I think my gas mileage has dropped from around 63 to 65 range to around 57 or 60 range. I am thinking it takes a few hundred more rpm for same speed that took less rpm before. I am guessing need new belt (although it looked OK last visual inspection - I made rough width measuerement on it and that was OK). Maybe rollers are wearing out.

Anyway, I am very happy with it -- SO FAR. I like it as well as a Burgman 650 that I put 73800 miles on. That said, there are things I like better about the 650 and some I like better about the 400. The 650 is of course quicker and more power, but the 400 is better for my rides (mostly 40 to 60mph on back roads, steep Mtn Roads, and it does OK on Interstate at 65 to 70mph actual)

Hauling it on trailer -- personally, I always leave my bikes on the side stand and tighten straps in front and rear very snug (not pulled down hard against the shocks, but pulled down a little against the shocks). This allows the bike to move with the shocks as in normal riding.

Vertical would be Ok to do the same thing.

DO NOT LEAVE SLACK (on shocks) either for Vertical or on side stand unless you have boards are something to hold the front and rear wheels in place (in other words to keep the wheels from sliding sideways on the trailer). I use 2x4 strips screwed to the trailer floor on each side of the front and rear tire.

I have hauled many miles like that.

I bought a handle Bar Strap for the 400 to hook the tie down straps to. Much eaiser and better than any other way to do it.

Mine are similar to this - but I think better ones. http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/13223/i/canyon-dancer-bar-harness-ii?SiteID=SLI|Handlebar Tie Down Straps&WT.MC_ID=10010

That said, I did not use a handle Bar Strap on my other MCs and ddi not use on the Burgman 650. I just used the handle bar and straps located in front of the controls.

I always use rear straps also.

·
Registered
352 Posts
"Missed it by that much!" ;)

Sorry about your miss... keep looking! By comparison, I bought an '11 (White!) 400 with only 1470 miles on it for about $5k. Not many choices in this area, so that was a pretty good deal, imo. I've been quite happy with it. :)

·
Registered
1,038 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts