Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for some advice. In my first post, I stated that I am a complete motorcycle novice looking to get his first bike. I decided that I want to get a Burgman. I was advised to look at other scooters and maybe a used one to learn on first. I'm in the process of getting my temp license and am taking the MSF course in August. I was out driving today and saw a 2002 Honda Reflex for sale. It has 7,500 miles and the owner was asking $2,700 OBO. I stopped to look at it and it seemed in good condition, but there were scratches along the muffler. I haven't called the phone number yet, so I don't know if the bike has been dumped (or if they would even tell me if it was!) I would hate to get a new Burgman only to dump it myself while learning on it, so I thought this may be a good scooter to learn on and then get the Burgman later. I wanted to know if anyone can tell me if they would recommend a Reflex as a first bike to learn on, and whether or not the $2,700 is a decent price (Obviously, I will try to negotiate down). Also, being a novice, are there any questions I should ask the owner or things to look for on the bike that would be a sign of a potential problem? Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
It would be a plus if they have service records and can prove that the scoot was properly maintained. It would also be good if they give you a believable explanation of how the scratches got on the muffler. Once you know the year of manufacture, you can go to NADAguides.com to get an idea of value. If you have not ridden before, starting off on something like that is a great idea. If you buy it right, you can ride it for a year and then sell it without losing much. I would also recommend that you look into taking a MSF Beginner's riding course.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
If it's in decent shape at all, the price is far better than anything I've seen locally. And, the bike is a quality unit. I'd go for it, unless a red light (like an improperly fixed major wreck) is found.

Do you know of a shop you'd trust to check it out?

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Others touched on the more technical issues so, I won't repeat.

As far as a good model - I owned one for about a a year as a second bike and I loved it. For the size, it accelerated very well, handled great and was a lot of fun. You won't go wrong buying a reflex to start with.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Kelly Blue Book lists for TN:

2002 Honda NSS250 Reflex (Non-ABS model)
Suggested Retail Value $3480
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $2375

2002 Honda NSS250 Reflex ABS
Suggested Retail Value $3660
Trade-In Value (Good Condition) $2500

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I will go along with the above posts, to a point. What your first bike should be has a lot to do with you, your confidence level, how well you took to the MSF course, how tall and strong you may me, all points to conceder.
From what I know of the Helix it is a fine scoot, I just don't want you to think you have to start with a smaller bike if you want a larger one.
As far as dropping a bike, We all can (and have) dropped our bikes no matter how much experience we have-- :(
You get over it :)

·
Super Moderator
8,076 Posts
Just a thought, it may be a bit off topic, but it may still apply.

If fear of tipping it concerns you, you might try this, it does build confidence.
After a few weeks, from getting my 650 home, I slowly set mine down on the front lawn (soft). No damage done, not even a scratch, or blade of grass stuck on it. It does allow you to know where the point of no return is, and I wanted to practice picking it up (in private) as opposed to public. I know of some people that do that to every bike they get. Small ones to Goldwings.

·
Registered
806 Posts
There is a dealer close to me selling "new" 2003 Reflex's for 4095 plus tax. My father traded his Helix in for it and is quite happy. I rode it and I thought it was a pretty nice ride as well.

·
Registered
553 Posts
I have ridden the Reflex, the Helix, The Maj 400 and of course the 650 and 400 Burgman. I own the Burgman 400 and in my opinion there is not that much differance in handling the Reflex as in handling the Burgman 400. If I were you I would start with 400 Burgman. My wife was inexperienced (and still is) but she is not having any trouble learning on the burgman 400 and she is about 5ft. 7 or 8. :wink:

·
Registered
207 Posts
I have a Honda Reflex (called Forza here in Japan). It's a very nice scooter. Has plenty of zip, is light and easy to handle, gets good gas mileage and is comfortable. The linked brakes and light weight would make it a fine beginner bike that you can happily keep riding even as your experience grows. About the scratched muffler, that might have happened if the previous owner brushed up against a curb or some other object. If the bike had been dumped you'd probably see scratches on the bodywork and handlebar end as well.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts