Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Retired Member not on two wheels anymore
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There's an opportunity to buy a used 2011 Burgman Exec 650 with less than 1K miles. The dealer is asking $7500 plus taxes, etc. (no setup fees obviously). Do you believe that's a fair price? Blue book is $6500 but Nada is $7600.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
14,253 Posts
In the end any price is a fair price if you are willing to pay it.

That being said, it sounds a bit high to me.

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
There's an opportunity to buy a used 2011 Burgman Exec 650 with less than 1K miles. The dealer is asking $7500 plus taxes, etc. (no setup fees obviously). Do you believe that's a fair price? Blue book is $6500 but Nada is $7600.

Thanks
This is a link to a Craigslist mash list , see what the asking prices are here from around the country . I think you can duplicate that deal for about 2K less .
http://motorcycle.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm=suzuki&fil=burgman 650&pg=&loc=&q=suzuki burgman 650

TheReaper!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
In the end any price is a fair price if you are willing to pay it.

That being said, it sounds a bit high to me.
Agreed. In 2010 I bought a new 2009 for $7,500 OTD though it was a std model.

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks all for the input. I guess it's now a waiting game........if it still hasn't sold in a week or two, I'll make my pitch for a lower price.

The Reaper - thanks for the link!

·
Registered
276 Posts
My 2102 Exec with 11,000 miles is in the classified section. I'll take $6500. It's like new. Not sure what Haul Bikes would charge for a one-way delivery, but it shouldn't be too much.

·
Premium Member
647 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
well he's in CA so there less options for him _ unfortunately the dealers know that too - i.e mileage will need to be 7500+ or CA certified (outside of CA that's rare) - so if you take the same link and add CA for location its very different story

Anywhere average price is 5119 for CA its 8499 - just saying is all

http://motorcycle.jaxed.com/cgi-bin/mash.cgi?itm=suzuki&fil=burgman 650&pg=&loc=CA&q=suzuki burgman 650
I wonder how many odometers get rolled forward to get into Cal ?

TheReaper!

·
Registered
567 Posts
My 2102 Exec with 11,000 miles is in the classified section. I'll take $6500. It's like new. Not sure what Haul Bikes would charge for a one-way delivery, but it shouldn't be too much.

I used to be dyslexic but i'm KO now.

(Sorry, couldn't resist!)

·
Registered
11 Posts

Thanks
Last week we bought a 2012 Exec with 15 miles on the clock, new old stock.
$6990

Jim

·
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
For those who responded....thx. Unfortunately some of you didn't include if you bought thru private seller or dealer. Plus it makes a difference especially in states where private deals don't involve sales tax (in CA you pay either way!).

UPDATE: Dealer has dropped the price to 7K plus taxes, etc. They were charging $350 for doc fees and I balked at that so they dropped to $100. GEEZ! I'm going to try to get it out the door @ $7500 (this includes 8.1% sales tax and ~$170 in licensing fees).

Gbjbany - I'm not sure what you mean re: CA certified or 7500 miles. Could you explain?

·
Registered
375 Posts
http://www.examiner.com/article/buying-a-used-motorcycle-california

Basically, if the motorcycle has two separate models - one for 49 states and one for California - it has to have a minimum of 7,500 miles before it can be imported. If it has a 50 state compliance, it can be imported to Cali at any point. I don't know if Burgmans are 50 state compliant or not, but in the old days a lot of carb'd motorcycles required some extra plumbing, usually related to gas vapor and overflow capturing, if they were to be sold in California. That meant having a different tank configuration, some extra tubing, a liquid/vapor separator, and a carbon canister, all to meet Cali's anti-smog provisions. I remember a friend who ended up with a California compliant Kawasaki ZX-6E that we were able to rip all the extra stuff off of. These days, I think a lot of manufacturers try to avoid having two sets of parts, so they try to make their motorcycles & scooter 50 state compliant. And given that Europe is cracking down as well, it saves them some issues there as well.

I've heard from my friends that it all depends on a roll of the dice at the California DMV. If you get a clerk that knows anything about the rules and you're not trying to game the system, you can get the out of state bike registered. If not, you might end up having to do a lot of extra leg work or, worst of all, have a motorcycle that you can't make street legal. Most folks out there try to avoid that by just buying in-state bikes, and the dealers charge a premium because of that.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Basically, if the motorcycle has two separate models - one for 49 states and one for California
Not sure on motorcycles but in autos its Federal or California emissions but states can choose. Currently there's 11 other states using the California standard with more climbing on board till 2016 when the Feds switch the whole US over to it.

Wikipedia said:
Due to its preexisting standards and particularly severe motor vehicle air pollution problems in the Los Angeles metropolitan area, the U.S. state of California has special dispensation from the federal government to promulgate its own automobile emissions standards. Other states may choose to follow either the national standard or the stricter California standards. States adopting the California standards include Arizona (2012 model year),[1] Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico (2011 model year), New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont, and Washington, as well as the District of Columbia.[2][3] Such states are frequently referred to as "CARB states" in automotive discussions because the regulations are defined by the California Air Resources Board.

The EPA has adopted the California emissions standards as a national standard by the 2016 model year[4] and is collaborating with California regulators on stricter national emissions standards for model years 2017–2025.[5]

·
Registered
438 Posts
1 - 20 of 20 Posts