Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a 650 convert of some standing...four years or so. Convinced, and I've ridden my Lardy from Wisconsin to Washington State.

Enough with the creds. I'm also an incurable serial bike owner; and the victim of Chinese Scooter Marketing. MOREOVER...I'm a former B400 owner...which made me quit motorcycles cold-turkey and go scootering.

A link shows a dealer selling Burgmans near cost, apparently. eBay listing of a 650 at $7999 and a 400 at $5999.

Now, here's the rub: SPACE is limited. I have, a BMW R1100RT (keeps my Man Card valid) and a Big Ruckus; and, in an inaccessible place, a Chinese 400 clone.

AM I CRAZY to consider trading the Big Ruckus and the BMW to get a 400? The VOG is going nowhere. DOA. But I loved it and I loved my old 400 of five years ago. And gas is tight and gonna get tighter.

·
Registered
677 Posts
I'm a new convert, but I loved my B400. I still think it's the best all-around two-wheeled vehicle you can get, for most general driving usage (race tracks excepted.) It can do anything you ask of it; perhaps not as well as specialized bikes in their area of specialization, but reasonably well nonetheless.

I'd say if you're going to have only one bike, a B400 is a good choice. I'm probably only going to have one bike, but I can borrow my son's Vulcan 500 if I feel silly. :)

A Big Ruckus is rare and special, but I doubt it beats a B400 in usefulness. Maybe slightly better fuel economy? Maybe easier to haul odd-shaped things? (Neither one can compete with a pickup truck for hauling.)

The BMW, well, I don't have experience with those. But if, as you say, you "quit motorcycles cold-turkey and [went] scootering," that implies you're no longer riding it. It's certainly not crazy to get rid of something you don't and won't use. I don't need a man card, do you? (Arguably, the Burgman gives you a better man card, saying, "I am secure in who I am and in what I choose to ride.")

Now then, on the question of a second bike to supplement the Lardy: I don't think I'd choose the 400. Probably something in the 200-250 range would make more sense (which perhaps points to keeping the Big Ruckus.) Maybe even the Honda PCX150 if you want something new & modern.

The good thing about having a 400 as backup bike is that you're never going to be without the Burgman Grin :D when one of them is out of service. But 6 grand is a lot to pay for such overlap. I am a cheap0.

Financially speaking, you have two bikes which are going to hold onto their value over time; one of which might even increase in value. But if one must go, it sounds like you want to say goodbye to the Beamer.

If it was me, I'd probably keep the Honda.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I replaced a BMW R80RT with a 08 400 and kept my BMW R1200CLC for long trips. When the 400 was totaled when it was rear ended, I bought a 650 because it was the best bike at the best price at the time. As I rode the 650, I realized it was an excellent touring bike and I was not riding my BMW much at all (it was like work). I sold the big BMW and bought a little V-Star 650 Midnight Custom as my extra bike. It is light, cheap, dependable and fun to ride. In the last year, I have ridden the 650 9,000 miles and the little V-Star 2,000 miles in the last 10 months. I am happy with both of my bikes and I don't miss the BMWs at all.

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I'm a new convert, but I loved my B400. I still think it's the best all-around two-wheeled vehicle you can get, for most general driving usage (race tracks excepted.) It can do anything you ask of it; perhaps not as well as specialized bikes in their area of specialization, but reasonably well nonetheless.

I'd say if you're going to have only one bike, a B400 is a good choice. I'm probably only going to have one bike, but I can borrow my son's Vulcan 500 if I feel silly. :)

A Big Ruckus is rare and special, but I doubt it beats a B400 in usefulness. Maybe slightly better fuel economy? Maybe easier to haul odd-shaped things? (Neither one can compete with a pickup truck for hauling.)

The BMW, well, I don't have experience with those. But if, as you say, you "quit motorcycles cold-turkey and [went] scootering," that implies you're no longer riding it. It's certainly not crazy to get rid of something you don't and won't use. I don't need a man card, do you? (Arguably, the Burgman gives you a better man card, saying, "I am secure in who I am and in what I choose to ride.")

Now then, on the question of a second bike to supplement the Lardy: I don't think I'd choose the 400. Probably something in the 200-250 range would make more sense (which perhaps points to keeping the Big Ruckus.) Maybe even the Honda PCX150 if you want something new & modern.

The good thing about having a 400 as backup bike is that you're never going to be without the Burgman Grin :D when one of them is out of service. But 6 grand is a lot to pay for such overlap. I am a cheap0.

Financially speaking, you have two bikes which are going to hold onto their value over time; one of which might even increase in value. But if one must go, it sounds like you want to say goodbye to the Beamer.

If it was me, I'd probably keep the Honda.
I have been wrestling with this.

I sold my Big Ruckus. Why? Too many bikes in not enough storage space. The Big Ruckus was a compromise on several levels.

It was powerful enough in city traffic but on the highway, with my bulk (240 lbs) it wouldn't top 55.

It wasn't overly efficient with gas. My Burgman 400 of years ago was better; thank fuel injection.

I felt the small size when on it...it wasn't substantial enough.

So...now I'm down to Lardy and the BMW cycle. I COULD get a 400; there's one advertised in Craigslist for $2800. Has 300 miles, the owner says; a 2008 OEM gas, no doubt.

I could...but why? I rode my 400 and liked it, after I figured a way to make myself fit on it...but I ALSO burned out a rear bearing running at highway speeds. Too fast? Too much weight? Does it matter? It wasn't up to it.

Better gas mileage? Yup. I ran the figures again; figuring 6000 miles a riding season, I would save a whopping $128 a season with a 400 over a 650. That's if I rode ALL those miles on the 400.

Means I'd be paying that purchase off in TWENTY YEARS.

I just had the 650 out on high adventure...the Idaho Panhandle and into Spokane. Nice ride!...especially along parts of US 2; and then Montana 200.

I LIKE the **** thing! I like the weight and balance; I like having the power to blow by idiots texting who're all over the road speed-wise. I like the mirrors; the control layout...the sound of the big twin...everything.

It doesn't make SENSE to buy a smaller scoot! If gas gets so dear I can't afford 55 miles a gallon, I'll buy a bicycle. And use it.

·
Registered
348 Posts
IMHO, I don't know why you would need the opinion of us/Burgman 650 riders what your 2nd bike should or should not be... just buy what you want!

In the time I've had my K-9, I bought sold and/or still own 2 Honda Metropolitans[water cooled and air cooled], BMW F800GS, BMW R1200R, Honda SH150i, Honda GL1800FB6, Honda Spirit 750, Suzuki M50.

I just go to the motorcycle forums for the motorcycle I'm interested and if interesting, I buy the motorcycle. If not, I don't buy it.

You know yourself the best... I do see this on other motorcycle forums where a V-Twin metric owner is asking the V-Twin metric forum members, how comfortable are the Burgman 650. If he was really interested in the Burgman 650, he would just do a Yahoo search and ask us Burgman riders. Interesting how other forums talk about the Burgmans as if they own one when in fact they don't :kermit: Check out the Rebel 250 forum about a person asking what his second bike should be and all the different ratios when changing the front and rear sprocket on his Rebel. No exactly sure where he is going with this as many of us have changed sprockets ratios by one or two teeth... not very interesting on a Burgman 650 discussion.

Anyway, you do not have to prove your "manhood" on this Burgman forum... to me that is all just "FUBAR" :violent1:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Big Ruckus

I think some day you will regret selling that Big Ruckus , that said you can't keep all of them . I've learned over the years that no one bike can do every thing , maybe that's why I own so many . That said IMO the Big Ruckus when properly set up with the carb re-jetted , a jcosta racing variator and a heavy duty rear shock like a Bitubo or Ohlins runs pretty good .

I've always said of the Big Ruckus that it was one of Honda's best ideas , and at the same time one of their worst executions . The bike was just plain to heavy for that little 250cc engine . Any way once you exorcised all the gremlins and installed one of my custom made trunks from Happytrail in Idaho , they became great little grocery getters . I drove one for 4 summers and drove the ever loving snot out of it .

With the price of the bike and all the farkles my total investment was $4,600 , I sold it after 4 years to a neighbor for $4,300 and it wasn't for even for sale . He was a Harley guy and had seen one at a swap meet and fell in love with it , he knew I was dealing in them so he came over and asked if I had any for sale . He took mine for a ride and made the offer came back the next day and took it home .

The Big Ruckus is NOT a lot of things , but it does do some things fairly well . They are expensive not because they are great scooters , but because they are different and rare . They have zero protection pretty much like any motorcycle , so they are pretty much a fair weather friend .

Believe it or not I owned 16 of them and flipped 14 . I still have 2 , the 2 up front in the pic with 5 . In Japan today a nice one will fetch $11,000 U.S. dollars . Back in 2007 I saw that they were acquiring a cult following and with the economy tanking I was able to buy them fairly cheaply for awhile . They hold their value better than any bike I know of at this time , and they really aren't that hot especially in the performance department .

While the bloom is off the rose on bikes in general and that includes the Big Ruckus to an extent , they are still sought after . As time passes and there are fewer and fewer of them I think they will fetch BIG money , especially low mileage pristine ones .

TheReaper!

·
Registered
486 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed on all counts - especially on the engine issue.

Someday, I'm gonna try to get a wrecked B400, peel off the tupperware, put a cosmetic set of tubes on it to mimic the BR setup...a nice soft car seat...twin headlights..and go riding.

That day will have to wait for more money, time and garage space, sadly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts