Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
NormanB,

I've noticed that you Brits like to wear open face helmets with goggles, Is it cooler than a face shield ? I like the looks of some of the helmets & goggles on the Davida web site, & if it's cooler I would really be interested. How about the leather liner ? Does it help with heat as well ?

No matter what they tell you, riding in Florida in the summer is very uncomforable. Most people opt to ride w/o helmets, due to the heat & humidty

Butch

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Don't know about the Brits but I would (and do) wear a 3/4 helmet in the heat.
Of course for safety, but also because no helmet or hat and my brain starts to cook, and with just a hat
you hit a bug at 70 and it's smarts.
Besides today's helmet is so well insulated the sun has little to no effect.
And yes, open face w/ goggles is cooler then w/ a shield :)

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I have a 3/4 helmet, but I've worn it very little this year. The Shoei Z-Two that I bought this Spring has a superb ventilation system - best of any helmet I've every had. It is cooler than the 3/4 helmet. In the real hot weather, I also leave the visor cracked open a bit. I also went with a light smoke tint faceshield, which helps dilute the Sun's rays striking my face. I tried the 3/4 helmet one hot day last month & came back home and traded it for the Z-Two, which definitely felt cooler.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Butch said:
NormanB,

I've noticed that you Brits like to wear open face helmets with goggles, Is it cooler than a face shield ? I like the looks of some of the helmets & goggles on the Davida web site, & if it's cooler I would really be interested. How about the leather liner ? Does it help with heat as well ?

Butch
Hi Butch

Well I am glad you brought that to my attention, I did not know that.

I looked at the Davida website and it is an interesting retro type site. Of course I am old enough to remember people riding around in these with goggles and a white silk scarf! :lol:

I am sure they must be in use but to be honest I do not recall seeing many lately. My guess that 80% of riders here use full face and 10% use the Jet style. The tendancy to use less than full face will be for those on small scoots or women (who seem to have more of a problem with claustrophobia for some reason).

I can well imagine a full face being a real problem in Florida heat and humidity :evil:

I wear one of these in silver:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
NormanB,

In the states Divida offers a Line of helmets called Classic Jet which are DOT approved, & another line that has some kind of approval from Norway or other scandanavian country

Butch

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Butch - OK - sorry mate - I must have missed that, I only looked at the one style of helmet on that site so missed that there were certificated ones too.

I have withdrawn the remark. :wink:

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Open face helmets

NormanB,

That's o.k., we all make mistakes.

Butch

·
Registered
65 Posts
Full face is always better

We also have a warm and humide weather here. I was always thinking and even trying a half face helmet but then i thought about the steaks I like to eat knowing that i may loose this joy in a case of a hard fall off.
:p

·
Premium Member
292 Posts
Transition

I found the 3/4 helmet nice for the heat, the open face good for the
fall and as of recent, the full face for those 42 degree mornings.

You can tell when it's time to transition, my 3/4 felt like streems
of ice water running over the top of my head. (it was only the 40 degree
air) My full face is deliciously warm for those ice mornings.

·
Registered
119 Posts
NormanB said:
Spooky :shock: I wear one of those in matt silver too!!! It's a good lid, even light enough for winter off road, and it has the magic ACU Gold stamp for racing too.
Those Cabergs are very under-rated IMHO. I wear a Arai Tour-X off road that costs over twice as much as the Caberg, yet the quality is easily equal. The Caberg seems much more suited to a "European" head also, I always find the Japanese helmets very narrow. Don't call me fat head....

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
mupp said:
NormanB said:
Spooky :shock: I wear one of those in matt silver too!!! It's a good lid, even light enough for winter off road, and it has the magic ACU Gold stamp for racing too.
:hal

You clearly are a chap with both taste and sound judgement. :wink: :lol:

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Anyone have an idea why the Caberg helmets are not DOT approved and for sale in the USA?

·
Registered
367 Posts
billmeek said:
Anyone have an idea why the Caberg helmets are not DOT approved and for sale in the USA?
Are they sold as a novelty helmet? Isn't that how some of the 'beanie' type lids are sold?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Sails said:
Are they sold as a novelty helmet? Isn't that how some of the 'beanie' type lids are sold?
Some beanies are sold as novelty helmets, but are not legal for use on the road. But I've not even seen a Caberg for sale in the US at all. I was wondering if the built in tinted visor had something to do with them not seeking DOT approval. Seems they're missing out on a pretty big market by not selling in the USA.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I know nothing about DOT details.
But in UK tinted (fixed) visors are absolutely not allowed and the police are hot to trot on this one. The Caberg visor is easily adjustable (by the external slider and even with winter gloves on) as the animation shows so satisfies the regulations. It is 100% safer than wearing shades.
I suspect though that Caberg just chose not to expand in to the US market because of the cost of seeking DOT approval and the distribution costs etc - at this stage in the company's development/strategy.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
I've seen these helmet in a few movies and they sparked my interest. I really like the flip down visor. From the positive comments I've read on the web, I'd order one today if they were available here with DOT approval.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
billmeek said:
I've seen these helmet in a few movies and they sparked my interest. I really like the flip down visor. From the positive comments I've read on the web, I'd order one today if they were available here with DOT approval.
Really Bill - where - what movies?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
You would ask Norman. :D I can't remember what movies but I remember seeing them flick the lever and the tinted visor pop down. I thought, "COOL! I want one." So I then jumped on the net and tried to locate a helmet for sale here. No luck. :( Could be the reason I've only seen them in movies set in Europe. :wink:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I only asked in case I was in them! :lol:

1 - 20 of 80 Posts