Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone,
First off, thanks for all your support and advice. I have been reading anonymously for months now.

The last time I rode a bike was 20 some years ago. My last stop at the bike store had me finding some strange gear on the racks. These were jackets and pants with what looked like shin-guards built inside them. Are these the new rage? I can see the benefit of these, but seems to me the heat build up from all those layers alone could kill you. They would be nice in the winter time when road conditions turn slippery and you can use the extra insulation.

So, I guess my question to you learned ones is... What safety gear/clothing do you wear besides the helmet?

Thanks bunches

·
Registered
308 Posts
Burger Bob said:
Aerostich Roadcrafter suit from Riderwearhouse, I wont leave home without it.
http://www.aerostich.com/riderwearhouse.store
Awsome piece...made to last a lifetime. Used to have one. Wear Belstaff now; nowhere near the protection but looks cool and is comfortable over a wide range. The waxed cotton makes you llok like Hemingweay on a Vincent BlackShadow.

I also have a First Gear whatever very expensive suit. Very stiff, and blechhhhhh...no used unless riding in a storm on the Interstate.

I am considering a Darien Light by Aerostitch.

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
darien vs roadcrafter vs ?

Thanks for the info. And, thanks for the pic, now I have to make an appt for my eye doctor! :shock:

So, even despite high temps, you will wear these outfits? Which style do you prefer, the Dariens or the Roadcrafter or what other options?

I am thinking of the Roadcrafter 2 for its greater abrasion and water resisitance. Especially where I live in the Pacific NW. Would also consider the one piece outfit. But then the versatility of the two-piece version (which also has a zipper making it a one-piece version too) is hard to ignore.

I have always been a "naturalist", no helmet and little covering (no, its not me on that pic) so now moving to full protection seems..... stifling.

Thanks, I will check into the outfits...
Any thoughts on other pieces of equipment?

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Just ordered a Joe Rocket Phoenix Jacket and a matching Dry Tech Liner. The jacket mesh provides good airflow with acceptable protection. Not as good as full leather, but leather in summer would make me melt. The dry tech liner adds protection for rain and is for use at night when the jacket might be too cool for use.

I always wear sturdy over the ankle boots, leather gloves, DOT helmet w/ full shield. Bugs in the face at 55+ do hurt. I still only wear jeans for riding...but am seriously considering buying some "dragging jeans". For a review on them see:

http://www.motorcycle.com/mo/mcbeware/d ... jeans.html

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
This morning I'll pack and set off on my 3 or 4 day trip into northern Nebraska (maybe some southern South Dakota). The weather is going to start off cool, and get somewhat hotter each day. So I'll need to make decisions on what to take - storage is limited on the scoot of course.

The Frogg-Toggs rainsuit is definitely going, as well as the Gerbing heated jacket liner and two different weight pair of gloves - you never know this time of year, although the weather forecast looks pretty good. I'll probably wear my HJC textile jacket, and pack my warm weather perforated leather jacket. I'll wear my full face HJC helmet. I don't think I'll take my 3/4 helmet - it shouldn't get that hot.

Note: Last week it bumped up into the 90's a couple of days, and my head was sweating a lot in the HJC full face. I think with the XXL Clearview windscreen, the helmet vents don't get enough airflow to properly cool the helmet. So, my 3/4 helmet with faceshield will probably be my choice in the hotter weather.

·
Registered
320 Posts
What to wear

Hey Capt., welcome aboard! :wink:

The guys, as usual, have offered great advice. Also, if you're thinking now of wearing a helmet, instead of going "au naturale", you may want to consider one of the new flip-face versions. They've got the full face protection but the whole face part can flip up with a single touch.

I live in the humid belt of the north--the Philly-Jersey area--and find thus far that a textile jacket (Joe Rocket Ballistic) and a wet bandana over a light cotton T work pretty well to keep me cool. Water seems to bounce off the jacket, though I can't say I've actually ridden it in the rain yet.

Hope this helps. Enjoy!

Bryna

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
thanks bunches Bryna,
(btw: how do you pronounce your name?)

Yeah, I have been looking at those kind of helmets. Boy are they expensive though compared to standard full-face. But I do see the benefit of being able to open up the oven every once in a while.

I used to live in Oklahoma and rode my bike during summer months with the full-face. UGH! So, it was basically like the photo above, but with a helmet. HA.

I take it though, that it would not be advisable to have that fliptop helmet cranked open while underway, as it would act like a sail.....

I used to just wear my tenni-shoes with my bike in the past, but it was so much lighter than this Burgman. I am considering going commando (not that way! :twisted: ) and wearing my hiking boots. Should give me more stability when I put my feet down.

Thanks for the welcome aboard, and for not laughing at my newbie posts!

·
Registered
320 Posts
No laughing allowed ;-)

Hey Capt.,

My name is pronounced 'Br-eye-nah", like "Bryan" with an A on the end. Thanks for asking. :)

I for one won't laugh at your "newbie" questions--if you promise not to laugh at mine! :lol: I've found everyone who posts to be very friendly and patient with my newbie questions. I think you will, too.

Yeah, I hear you re: not keeping the flip-face open once under way. In terms of price, you may want to find one that fits when you shop around and then order it online; the superstores can sometimes have better prices. And, if it's important to you, you can usually find a flip-face or two with both the DOT and Snell approvals. My full-face (HJC CL-14 model) has really good ventilation and I find I can easily flip up the shield when stopped in traffic and flip it back down quickly.

Best of luck in your search,

Bryna<--who has severe "hair smush" (technical term) after riding ALL day! :D

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
captainfish said:
Yeah, I have been looking at those kind of helmets. Boy are they expensive though compared to standard full-face. But I do see the benefit of being able to open up the oven every once in a while.
I've been looking at flipface helmets too. Not bought one yet, but am considering the Zeus ZS-508. They are the most reasonably priced one I've found so far. http://www.traxms.com has them for $79.95 including shipping. You may be able to find a better price on ebay.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey Capt,
I have a pair of Draggin Jeans. They are like Levis but with kevlar in the knees and seat. I've ordered them through the internet.
http://www.dragginjeans.com.
I haven't given them a test fall yet and hope not to. They are lighter than some of the pants I've tried and kevlar seems to be a very protective material.
Rob in SoCal

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
billmeek
For what it's worth I have owned and used a Zeus for3 years now with no problems.
A friend of mine went down wearing one, the helmet took a good hit but his head was fine :)
(I guess the helmet helped but he's hard headed anyway) :p

·
Registered
761 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I can't believe the cost of helmets these days!!!
Anywhere from $200 to $500 per. OUCH!

That Zeus is looking pretty good at around $80 and is flip-top as well.

Thanks for the "heads-up". You all are great!

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
Randy,

My current helmet is a Zeus 3/4. It's a very comfortable helmet...other than being a sweatbox. It doesn't have any vents. :( Before I purchase the Zeus 508, I'd like to try one on. Sorta hard to locate one locally .... especially in size XXXL.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Don't get the Zeus until you read the Motorcycle Consumer News' recent comparo on helmets. Rated it last. You get what you pay for in helmets, for the most part, and one reason the Zeus is so cheap is that it costs less money to make one without vents.

As for jackets. I wear an AGV mesh jacket with bulit-in pads in all the right places. In cold weather I wear a 3/4 length black Tour Master jacket (with pads and thermal liner) and for road racing I wear a blue and white First Gear jacket (padded). It is stiff and uncomfortable.

As for helmets, I have four: A Shoei RF900 full face, an HJC-SyMax flip-face, an HJC open face (just for putting about with Scott goggles) and a genuine Davida from England sixties vintage brain bucket helmet that I wear with EMPI split lens goggles whenever anyone lets me ride their Norton.

The first two are very good helmets.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Ted White said:
and for road racing I wear a blue and white First Gear jacket (padded). It is stiff and uncomfortable.
Yes they are stiff and uncomfortable - not to mention expensive. My dealer talked me into buying one last fall (a Kilimanjaro model). It felt awful. It also had features that were difficult to figure out - and no instructions explaining them. I returned it for a full refund after two days.

What I've learned after a couple of mistakes, is that if a piece of gear isn't comfortable I'm not going to wear it much. It doesn't matter how good it might be rated for protection - if I'm not wearing it, it's not going to protect anything. So if I can find something that offers 70 or 80 percent of the protection, but is comfortable enough to wear regularly, that is what I should buy.

In Ted's case, it is a special purpose piece of gear, so he doesn't have to wear it often - and I can understand the overriding need for superior protection when racing.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts