Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well it's been a while but I've since repaired the CVT, installed the Polish Adapter, upgraded the timing chain tensioner, serviced the bike completely, and have been riding it since Sunday. While I was at it I did a few lighting upgrades and a horn upgrade. Here's a few photos though the video links show the function well. I ended up making a few solid state relays to do the needed switching while minimizing the power used, added a electronic flasher to handle the LEDs, and wired it so the Hazards work in the Park position which the '03-'04's didn't do. I also added a auxiliary fuse box within the existing forward stock location to reduce loads on the ignition switch/stock wiring while adding my own wiring to all the new lighting.

Video of the front. http://www.gotgroceries.net/modules/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3342&g2_GALLERYSID=764c0ff04be34a79235560a33c6ffe43

Video of the rear. http://www.gotgroceries.net/modules/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=3347&g2_GALLERYSID=764c0ff04be34a79235560a33c6ffe43

The front lighting upgrades are as follows.

Added sockets for the factory mirror lights (actually I did this back in '04 but changed them to a different style) to work as Park and Turn lights and installed LED bulbs. They work on low as running lights when the key is in the On position but not in the Park position. They work on high with the Turn/Hazard switch when the key is On or in the Park position (on the '03-'04 models normally they only work in the On not Park position).

Cut out the factory headlamp housings, added the UK position lights with regular amber bulbs (because of the heat in the housings from the headlamp bulbs I didn't want to use LEDs). They light up with the key in either the On or Park position and flash alternately (off when Turn is on) with each Turn signal or the Hazards.

Replaced the front reflectors with LED lit reflectors. They light up with the key in either the On or Park position and flash alternately (off when Turn is on) with each Turn signal or the Hazards.

Here's the front lights with the key in the On position.

Here's the front lights with the key in the Park position

The rear lighting upgrades are as follows.

Replaced the stock tail lamp/turn signal bulbs with LEDs

Replaced the rear side reflectors with LED lit reflectors. They light up with the key in either the On or Park position and flash alternately (off when Turn is on) with each Turn signal or the Hazards.

Replaced the rear reflector with a LED lit reflector. It lights up with the key in the On position only.

Added a LED lit license plate frame. It has white LEDs for the license plate which work with the key in the On or Park position. The red LEDs at the bottom I made to work on low as a running light with the key in the On position only and work on high with the Brake lights when the key is in the On position only. The two amber side LEDs work on high with each Turn signal or with the Hazards when the key is in the On or Park position.

Rear in the Park position.

Rear in the On position.

Rear with the left Turn on.

And the rear with the Brake lights on.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It looks good.

Cut out the factory headlamp housings, added the UK position lights with regular amber bulbs
How about the reflector?

My continental Europe model also has the position lights, which have a reflector, which is not a part of the headlamp housing.

There are no position lights in the pair of left-hand-drive headlamps I have bought for retrofitting HID-projectors.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How about the reflector?

My continental Europe model also has the position lights, which have a reflector, which is not a part of the headlamp housing.

There are no position lights in the pair of left-hand-drive headlamps I have bought for retrofitting HID-projectors.
There is no chrome reflector, its just dark around it. In my search for the factory type sockets I found three different length sockets and as near as I can see from photos in the service manual they are the mid length ones which I used.

·
Registered
426 Posts
wow nice work... this would be something I'd be interested in doing... if not for the availability of parts/items etc.

::thumbs up::

·
Registered
89 Posts
It looks good.

How about the reflector?

Hi Erik, - Mine is LHD and has the position lights in the headlamps (which will shortly become LEDs) BUT, the headlamp bulbs are H7 on LHS and H4 on RHS, which makes buying a HID kit difficult. :(

·
Registered
89 Posts
Back on topic MJR's job looks great, especially with the blue paintwork!
I shall have to try some of this, determined to get the Light Cycle look!

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Mine is LHD
You sit on the left side of the bike? :D

I shall have to try some of this, determined to get the Light Cycle look!
Then you'll need something like this. :)

Which horn?
I work at a Chrysler dealer and bought horns for a minivan. The hardest part is finding a place for them. I finally managed to squeeze them in by the front relays and made some brackets for them. It works on the regular 650 but the Exec model has the adjustable windscreen motor here so I'm not sure where you would put them.

·
Registered
2,089 Posts
Awesome!!

You know, if I had imagination, good taste and skills, I could do this too.

·
Banned
78 Posts
The additions are interesting, but I'd to hear exactly what you did in the rebuilding of the 2003's CVT.

You're one of the few on here who has actually dug into them to the extent that you have, and I'd like to know what improvements you made to the transmission.

Specifically, what type of primary shaft bearing you installed, the O-ring used, and the manner used to create a seal between the CVT and the engine cases.

It would make a good thread all by itself, in fact.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The additions are interesting, but I'd to hear exactly what you did in the rebuilding of the 2003's CVT.

You're one of the few on here who has actually dug into them to the extent that you have, and I'd like to know what improvements you made to the transmission.

Specifically, what type of primary shaft bearing you installed, the O-ring used, and the manner used to create a seal between the CVT and the engine cases.

It would make a good thread all by itself, in fact.
There has been a few posts on it though I haven't done one on the reassembly. The basic list of it was replacing the primary pulley assembly with the updated one which gets you the longer stopper bolt as well, installing the Polish adapter, and needed seals.

As far as other things I did that would be using a silicone sealer around the whole o-ring under the adjuster end (which should it split keep it in place rather than coming out leading to excessive stopper bolt wear), I installed a Ortech Ceramics stainless/ceramic input bearing, on the primary shaft I installed a o-ring in each groove and grease inbetween them rather than the single o-ring and grease in the other groove for a better fit between the shaft and inner part of the bearing, I smeared a little grease on the outside of the bearing after the CVT was assembled around the adapter before I put the CVT back in, I added grease between the adapter splines and engine driven gear splines to reduce wear, I used a Mopar anerobic sealer between the CVT and engine cases (LeDude did as well) to keep moisture out, I sealed the inspection cap with the same Mopar anerobic sealer. I think thats it. ;)

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/19486-chirping-noise.html
http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/52709-polish-adapter-03-04-650-a.html

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
1 - 13 of 13 Posts