Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just order new brake pads for my 650 Burgman. I can't believe the cost. On ebay I paid $250 for front right and left and rear brakes.

Then I bought a new front tire.

I probably won't have to worry about doing it again. I am 71 years old.

I thought my Honda VTX1300 was expensive. I sold that one last year and bought my burgee.

Just blowing off a little steam.

stoom-afblazen.jpg

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Sounds about right. I'm guessing you bought some new rotors to go with the pads?

·
Registered
42 Posts
Yikes! that's always been a problem with niche items, they can't benefit for the economy of production.

One of the Mazolli brothers from 'car talk' always use to say, 'never go cheap on breaks or tires'. Of coarse we're shoe-horned into this narrow market with few options.

Be safe out there.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I have found cheap isn't always less expensive. Last time I went with cheap I ended replacing my rear rotor, rear caliper.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Does not include rotors
Quick check to see if you can cancel your order ..the guys here can save you some money. 16-22 days shipping @ $5.95 .

Reactions: Gfines

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I run EBC pads on my 650. SFA412HH rear and SFA142HH front. About $90 a set from AMAZON.
It’s the consensus of this forum that these are superior to the Suzuki OEM correct ?

What would be the cost for him to go with those ?

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Don't know that I would say superior but as good as and a lot cheaper. As I mentioned in the prior post about $90, That's for all the pads to do the rear and both fronts. .

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
It’s the consensus of this forum that these are superior to the Suzuki OEM correct ?

What would be the cost for him to go with those ?

Thanks Buffalo,

I p.m.ed the Op.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Like Buffalo, I've been going with EBC unless I need other associated bits and pieces (backing pads, spacers, springs etc).If I find I need some extra pieces then the OEM fiche is a convenient one stop shop. You can get the entire pad assembly. I think of the $30 Chinese generic pads as 'cheap'.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
To all that responded Thanks....it’s you guys that make this site Great !

·
Super Moderator
2,366 Posts
Working with my 2007, & earlier with my 2006...
I've run EBC, but I went back to OEM since my shim, that comes with the OEM was shot.
Did that on both of 'em.
I find 'em a bit quieter and have more than enough grab to lock the breaks if need be...I have not gone that far and hope not to of course, but the brakes are great.
With my 2007. Recently.
I put on fresh rotors, all EBC..got a real great price on one of three. (Amazon)
Calipers were fine, but I got fresh pins, one was a bit warped, so not a terrible thing (Cheapcycleparts).

I observed that the rotors for the 2013+ were a bit cheaper than the 2005-2012 one I needed. I have not worked on one of 'em that new.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
Tromper , I’ve never locked mine up before .....I’ve got an 06 10k mile non ABS should they lock up if so what should i check ?

·
Registered
25 Posts
Speaking of brakes, has anyone here done business with motorcycleid?

·
Registered
1,622 Posts
@DarisPakar ,
First thing to check in that case is your underwear. Non-ABS brakes will be more likely to lock up when in an emergency stop when your first thought is to stop moving before you hit something. If in a straight line ABS brakes will be prevented from locking up (normally) by the ABS system but can possibly take longer to stop than normal stopping if it is due to slick or wet pavement. Nothing really more to check other than what I mention since that would be a normal occurrence in an emergency or hard stop.

·
Premium Member
3,465 Posts
I’ve had some hard stops but I guess I’ve gotten used to not having ABS....it always freaks me when my truck judders from ABS. I will do a test to make sure I can lock the back tire.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts