Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yesterday I looked at an old 1981 Honda GL1100 Goldwing Interstate. I went there (a pawn shop; the bike was held as collateral on a title loan) with pockets containing the full asking price in cash, fully expecting to ride it away, but I did not.

http://shoals.craigslist.org/mcd/3342957170.html is the CL ad, if it's still available. It's a two-tone gold and brown, another very nice Honda color scheme. Mostly original equipment, but with lots of signs of age and wear. This was not a garage queen nor the cherished baby of an obsessive chrome polisher: this was a working man's basic transportation. (I suspect most of those 63K miles were done in city traffic.)

I felt an instant rapport with and respect for this bike, but it never did call to me to ride it home. I sat on it ... whoa, this thing is huge and heavy! (And substantially lighter than today's Goldwings!)

If I really wanted a Wing, I would have been okay with this bike's imperfections. As it happens, I don't believe I do. One who had the skill and inclination to fix it up could probably flip it in the spring for a handsome profit. Unfortunately, that is not me.

I just don't see the appeal in these huge bikes. I know, to each his own, but yikes. Maybe if I took one on a transcontinental journey it would make sense to me, but even on a long trip you have to be able to do slow maneuvers and stop sometimes. :)

Using a Wing as a daily commuter, as the defaulted borrower did, seems crazy. Many cages would be better for that, some having equal or better fuel economy. A Burgman is definitely a better commuter.

The biggest displacement (and fastest) bike I ever rode was a Kawasaki 750 from the 1970s. The heaviest: a Burgman 650.

·
Registered
677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haha, yes, I got a kick out of that, and also that it was the same brain-dead speedo that my 1980 Honda CM400T had, only going up to 80. (I never did know what the top end of that bike was; it died before consumer-grade GPS devices were available/affordable.)

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
I used to have a 1200 wing... If I were to get another wing,,, a 2000 1500cc wing would be my choice... the 1500 has a lower COG and is a better bike...

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
I paid $1,400 for a 1981 Goldwing 1100 back in the early to mid 90s. I had it for two years and even though it was totally dependable with a silky smooth engine, it was the least favorite of the dozen or so motorcycles I have owned. It was economical with mileage between 45 and 50 but it was a big sloppy pig to ride. It dragged on moderate curves and it had the suspension of a worn out Lincoln Towncar. I think it had 40,000 miles or so on it. After that, I went for better handling bikes and found BMW to suit my tastes (except for the tall seats).

1 - 5 of 5 Posts