Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As of 7/17/2020 I’m the new owner of a 2008 Burgman 650 executive. I’m lucky. I had quadruple bypass surgery 14 years ago. The doctor smiled then and said. Don’t worry it’ll last five, ten maybe 15 years. Well according to him I’m into my last year. But who’s counting. I’ve always had a bike except for the six years I spent working in Colombia and Bolivia. Since I returned to south Texas in 2008 I’ve ran though a Kawasaki 1200ZR, Two Honda Gold Wings, a 2003 BMW 1200C and a HD 883L. I got the Sportster because my wife was afraid of riding with me after the heart surgery in August 2006. Still about four weeks ago I saw a Burgman 650 executive listed on Craigslist. I’d seen reviews on the Burgman for years but just never thought “ME” in that context. I had purchased the 2008 Sportster to ride solo seeing as my wife was afraid to ride pillion with me.
I didn’t ride the Sportster much so when I saw the 2008 Burgman 650 executive listed on Craigslist I read through the listing. It appeared this nice young man had purchased the bike from a friend’s deceased father’s estate. While the original owner had driven it around 22,500 miles in 5 years it stood dormant in his garage after his death. The man listing it on Craigslist had purchased it and then started his mini-rebuild. New tires. New shocks front rear. New brakes (Suzuki) front and rear. Suction all brake fluid and replace with new. Extended life coolant for the radiator. New plugs. Fresh oil in engine, and transmission. New Redline gear oil for the final drive. Once the engine was up and going he replaced the front fairing, windshield and repaired both electric rear view mirrors. Then he repaired and repainted the bikes lower panels and touched up the numerous paint scratches.
Well, he did a great job. I’m not that particularly fond of Black but it does look good.
He drove it down yesterday and delivered to me my (probably) last motorcycle or Scooter.
When i was finally able to contact him via Craigslist he was interested in a partial swap. Yes. My 883L and some $$. But, hey he delivered the 650 executive and then hauled the 883L back home.
I’m a happy puppy.
The reason for my happiness was that after having the HD Sportster for years and not having my wife want to go along as a pillion she now said “why don’t you take me with you any more?” Well I was surprised but I then told her about the Burgman 650 and that the owner was willing to swap plus cash. She smiled and I was in.
Well the seller left a few hours ago and I have already checked the bike and aired the its tires. I wiped in down good and put it in the garage for Monday because while I want to ride it with my wife and i do have insurance since noon today I won’t have the title and taxes paid until Monday. Shucks. I can wait.
I’m 71 and my wife is two years older so while we can’t wait forever we can wait till Monday. I’m looking forward riding with my wife again. I’m looking forward to enjoying our rides on the Burgman. She climbed aboard earlier today and she said she was comfortable. Good news to my ears. Well I’m glad to be a part of this organization and I’ve read through quite a few strings including one on installing a cruise control by Redbeard. Certainly doable but many years has passed since he published that fix. I’m going to enjoy learning the 650 and we are going to enjoy being a part of the Burgman family.

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts
The best way to learn your Burg is ride it and take care of it ....

Let this help you take care of it :

·
Registered
148 Posts
Welcome aboard, I'm sure like the rest of us you will love the Burgman, in fact you'll begin to wonder why you didn't get one years ago.
Take it steady and have some fun, I'll bet the wife will love it.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Recently got a burgman myself and I don't know why for the life of me I didn't get one before, enjoy it because I'm 100% confident both yourself and your wife will love it

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
First question for you , as a newbie here , you can educate a longer time member, what is redline oil and what specs is it. The final drive gear oil doesn't quite satisfy my ear in reducing gear mesh noise and I might be interested in changing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
As of 7/17/2020 I’m the new owner of a 2008 Burgman 650 executive. I’m lucky. I had quadruple bypass surgery 14 years ago. The doctor smiled then and said. Don’t worry it’ll last five, ten maybe 15 years. Well according to him I’m into my last year. But who’s counting. I’ve always had a bike except for the six years I spent working in Colombia and Bolivia. Since I returned to south Texas in 2008 I’ve ran though a Kawasaki 1200ZR, Two Honda Gold Wings, a 2003 BMW 1200C and a HD 883L. I got the Sportster because my wife was afraid of riding with me after the heart surgery in August 2006. Still about four weeks ago I saw a Burgman 650 executive listed on Craigslist. I’d seen reviews on the Burgman for years but just never thought “ME” in that context. I had purchased the 2008 Sportster to ride solo seeing as my wife was afraid to ride pillion with me.
I didn’t ride the Sportster much so when I saw the 2008 Burgman 650 executive listed on Craigslist I read through the listing. It appeared this nice young man had purchased the bike from a friend’s deceased father’s estate. While the original owner had driven it around 22,500 miles in 5 years it stood dormant in his garage after his death. The man listing it on Craigslist had purchased it and then started his mini-rebuild. New tires. New shocks front rear. New brakes (Suzuki) front and rear. Suction all brake fluid and replace with new. Extended life coolant for the radiator. New plugs. Fresh oil in engine, and transmission. New Redline gear oil for the final drive. Once the engine was up and going he replaced the front fairing, windshield and repaired both electric rear view mirrors. Then he repaired and repainted the bikes lower panels and touched up the numerous paint scratches.
Well, he did a great job. I’m not that particularly fond of Black but it does look good.
He drove it down yesterday and delivered to me my (probably) last motorcycle or Scooter.
When i was finally able to contact him via Craigslist he was interested in a partial swap. Yes. My 883L and some $$. But, hey he delivered the 650 executive and then hauled the 883L back home.
I’m a happy puppy.
The reason for my happiness was that after having the HD Sportster for years and not having my wife want to go along as a pillion she now said “why don’t you take me with you any more?” Well I was surprised but I then told her about the Burgman 650 and that the owner was willing to swap plus cash. She smiled and I was in.
Well the seller left a few hours ago and I have already checked the bike and aired the its tires. I wiped in down good and put it in the garage for Monday because while I want to ride it with my wife and i do have insurance since noon today I won’t have the title and taxes paid until Monday. Shucks. I can wait.
I’m 71 and my wife is two years older so while we can’t wait forever we can wait till Monday. I’m looking forward riding with my wife again. I’m looking forward to enjoying our rides on the Burgman. She climbed aboard earlier today and she said she was comfortable. Good news to my ears. Well I’m glad to be a part of this organization and I’ve read through quite a few strings including one on installing a cruise control by Redbeard. Certainly doable but many years has passed since he published that fix. I’m going to enjoy learning the 650 and we are going to enjoy being a part of the Burgman family.
I’m a happy puppy.
Hey SkyKing....Howard here, like you I'm enjoying my 08 executive that I bought in October. I live in San Antonio and am curious where you live in south Texas....if close, maybe we can ride together sometime....have a good day and keep the rubber down.....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
First question for you , as a newbie here , you can educate a longer time member, what is redline oil and what specs is it. The final drive gear oil doesn't quite satisfy my ear in reducing gear mesh noise and I might be interested in changing.
I wish I could. I spoje with the bike’s previous owner. He said he liked the way it quieted down the gears. He mentioned having used it before in several different applications. It costs around $18 a quart but it may be worth trying out on your bike.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey SkyKing....Howard here, like you I'm enjoying my 08 executive that I bought in October. I live in San Antonio and am curious where you live in south Texas....if close, maybe we can ride together sometime....have a good day and keep the rubber down.....
Hello Howard
My name is James and I live in Edinburg. It is about 200 miles south of San Antonio. I have yet to get my bike inspected and transfer the title. Actually it would be nice to ride with someone. My last riding buddy Arturo died about four years ago. I miss him and our rides together. Now that my wife wants to ride with me again I’m gonna look for longer rides. Thanks for the welcome.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Hello Howard
My name is James and I live in Edinburg. It is about 200 miles south of San Antonio. I have yet to get my bike inspected and transfer the title. Actually it would be nice to ride with someone. My last riding buddy Arturo died about four years ago. I miss him and our rides together. Now that my wife wants to ride with me again I’m gonna look for longer rides. Thanks for the welcome.
Hey James I was born in Harlingen and went to college in Kingsville. I know you will really enjoy your scoot. She is heavy, but I know you will enjoy the ride. You can get a lot of help from these members and it will be really nice to ride when these temps drop from the 100's down to the 70's.(Oct.-Nov.)(Maybe..lol) By the way, you are old enough to be my younger brother and sister. Have a great day and keep the rubber down....

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hey James I was born in Harlingen and went to college in Kingsville. I know you will really enjoy your scoot. She is heavy, but I know you will enjoy the ride. You can get a lot of help from these members and it will be really nice to ride when these temps drop from the 100's down to the 70's.(Oct.-Nov.)(Maybe..lol) By the way, you are old enough to be my younger brother and sister. Have a great day and keep the rubber down....
Younger brother. All rightie then. My buddy Arturo was ten years older but more like a really respected older brother.
thanks again for the welcoming words. My wife and I are itching to get out and spread our wings.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts