Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up a 2006 650 with 4800 miles it has the original Bridgestone tires , front looks hardly worn , back shows some wear down the middle . They are 6 plus years old , should I replace them due to their age ? From what I read here on the forum , these are a good replacement Pirelli Diablo ?

Any suggestions for a newbie are welcome .

Brad aka TheReaper!

·
Premium Member
14,235 Posts
I would probably replace them just to be on the safe side.

The Diablo is a good handling tire on the 650 but it tends to wear out a little quicker than other brands I have tried. I usually get around 7,000 miles out of other brands of rear tires but only got about 5,000 out of the Diablo.

I've run Pirelli, Bridgestone, Michelin, and Metzler tires on my 650. The setup I am partial to is the OEM Bridgestone on the front and the Michelin Pilot Sport on the back.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Wouldn't a lot depend on which part of the country the bike is from? In Florida, Texas and environs the high heat may degrade tires faster than the more moderate mid-West. If the bike was stored in a garage all those years, the tires may be good still. Is there any signs of cracking on the side wall? Just a thought.

·
Premium Member
8,166 Posts
would you replace your girlfriend after 6 years of no use ? try to get a good deal on oem's and get used to a new to you bike with the setup the way the manufacturer thought best, then modify after a year when you and she are better acquainted.

·
Registered
1,116 Posts
If your tires (on a motorcycle) are over five years old then you need to replace them even if they look new. The tire manufacturers say that the rubber in them is too hard. Tires get harder as they age, even without use. The MSF agrees on this.

·
Registered
1,664 Posts
Old tires.......!!!! Just my opinion but, if in a cooler part of the country and kept indoors in the dark without exposure to the UV rays of the sun - I would just go ahead and ride on them....

·
Registered
183 Posts
mikeyMarine said:
would you replace your girlfriend after 6 years of no use ? try to get a good deal on oem's and get used to a new to you bike with the setup the way the manufacturer thought best, then modify after a year when you and she are better acquainted.
I would definitely replace an unused girlfriend after ten years unless she had other redeeming qualities...like does she own a bassboat?

·
Registered
2,676 Posts
Tires and brakes are the most important safety items on a motorcycle.
I would replace motorcycle tires after reaching 3 years of age.
Their born on date stamp can be found on the tire.
The first two numbers are the week of manufacture and the last 2 numbers are the year of manufacture.

A tire with the marking of 2311 would mean that it was made in week 23 of 2011.

·
Registered
661 Posts
It is generally accepted that MC tires should be replaced after 5 years +/-. With that said, I'm one ot get what I can out of stuff. My Burgman had the originals on it when I bought it and they lasted another couple of years (probably 6 total). My ST had some older tires on it and I put another 8K on them before changing. They were probably on the edge of 6 years old.
Long story short, if they ride well, and there isn't ANY cracking anywhere, I'd at least get a few more miles out of them. JMHO!

·
Registered
5,795 Posts
This isn't a matter to leave up to "consensus" or opinion. It' s not just UV rays; ozone degrades rubber faster than anything. But at 6 years, it's time to replace in any case. Whether it's a MC tire, a CT or a MOTORHOME tire, 6 years is 6 years.

I got my 2006 650 in 2008 with 1200 miles and OEM tires. I have since replaced with OEM Bridgestones and the last tire change I'm using Pirelli Diablos and have been quite happy with them. Remember, motorcycle tires, by their very nature, are designed and MUST wear to provide adequate traction and adhesion to the road when called upon. Replace them and start 'fresh' and safe.

·
Premium Member
902 Posts
"Older tires when to replace & with what ?"

Must confess, upon reading this my first thoughts were "when to replace", when they wear enough to affect tthe handling, & "with what", new tires.

Having said that though, the last two tire changes I've done have been nowhere near worn, so I'd have to add........"when punctured" , as well.

·
Premium Member
355 Posts
When I got my K3,,, they had the original boots intact... I inspected the tires and they had no cracking or any wear problems... I went with them and monitored them on a regular basis... when the rear tire needed replacing,,, after a lot of research and past experiences with my wing,,, I went to the Darkside with the Bridgestone Protenza... I replaced the front with the Battlelax... No problems... My Burgman rode smoother and a lot better on secondary roads and much better on the slab...

As far as advice,,, do your research and make your decisions on how you ride and your research... There is plenty of good info here on the forum... Good Luck...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts