1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
925 Posts
Wow. I expected the average age to be much younger. :shock:

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
I just sounds like another story based on facts I do not believe are valid.
You would hear the same type story if 50000 bald woman suddenly started buying motorcycles across the country- I can see the headlines now-
"Baldheaded women more likely to be involved in motorcycle accidents" :roll:

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
I believe it - there are similar stats in the UK.

Training is a big issue in the States, I believe as it is not compulsory.

In the UK it is, which keeps people off the road untl they have a level of competency but the hurdle is set quite low even if some of the test elements are a wee bit pedantic. It is composed of more what is easier to test than what skills should we assess. There have been a lot of initiatives, generally initiated by the police, to address the skills gap between 'legal' competency and what is actually required to be safe on todays roads. These normally take the form of accompanied rides with regular stop and debriefs. UK police motorcyclists are highly regard by the biker community here - unlike speed cameras, spys in the sky etc which are considered by many to be a revenue raising activity.

Just as an example counter steering is not covered in mandatory UK training. I was also corrected by my instructor for 'weaving all over the place' when I was positioning for maximum visibility when approaching a bend and then shooting the straightest line through it (while staying on my side of the road). His point was it was not required on the test - so why do it! :shock:

·
Registered
822 Posts
I believe it too. I've been reading many articles on the subject. The Burgman 650, if you haven't ridden in 30 years - or if you've never ridden at all, is a lot of bike to get used to. That said, many of the baby boomers who now have money, are starting out with 1400 and 1800cc bikes right off the bat! Its way too much bike to handle unless you've gradually worked up to it. Starting out on one - even with a safety course - is an excellent way to invite your own death - usually at the cost of someone else's safety. Safety courses are on bikes no larger than 250cc. If you can't ace all the tests on that (and I mean NO POINTS DEDUCTED AT ANY TIME) - then you have absolutely no chance on something bigger, especially in the over 1000cc range. Remember, these folks are not in a controlled-environment parking lot! They're on the road with folks on cell phones, people falling asleep at the wheel, in people's blind spots, intoxicated drivers, buses, pot holes, obstructions in the road, all stuff that requires more than the ability to drive in a straight line.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts