Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

My 03 seems to be stuck in low/1st gear. I've checked the Centre Stand pin. It's fine. WHen on the centre stand, the back wheel doesn't turn at all. the Spedo shows 0 mph. Could this be a ppt problem, or the ghost of something worse?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
Usually when I want to run up speed I have it on the center stand and unbolt the switch so it will shift. I'd still lean toward the switch.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Agree with MJR. Unplug the centerstand switch so that you are sure that is not the problem. If it still persists even with the switch unplugged then you can start looking elsewhere for the problem.

BTW to get to the plug you may have to remove the floorboards. The plug is under the tunnel right in front of the seat. You might be able to get to it by just removing the access cover but likely not. The other option is to just cut one of the wires to the switch. If the problem goes away you will need a new switch anyway. If not then you can solder the wire back together.

·
Registered
5,590 Posts
how many miles on the scoot?

the 03 / 04 models are prone to having CVT issues, mainly the primary pulley bearing wearing out and causing other parts to fails inside the CVT.

You can easily check the PPS...

Another possibility could be clutch related....

can you go through the gears through manual mode?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
OK, So here is the update so far:

Unplugged the Centre stand...no change
I can go to 2nd in manual
Revs at app 7000 going 27mph

odometre is at 29100 on the scoot

Still open to your valued expertise.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
It does move on in 1st on the ground riding right?

Hmm shifting into 2nd rules of the switch. Raising the engine speed and shifting manually if it won't shift higher and the gear indicator flashing when trying to shift up further means the controller is either seeing the engine RPM's and/or speed indicated are not high enough or something else.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
What you are describing is consistent with the fail safe mode for a problem with one of the CVT sensors or the speed sensors. That should be accompanied with an FI indicator though and you have not mentioned seeing that.

What you are describing is also quite similar to what Robin's 07 was doing when the primary pulley failed. The difference being that hers would stay in a low ratio as long as you kept the throttle open but if you backed off the throttle it would up shift. I test road it and in auto mode from a dead stop it went all the way to 8,000 rpm without an upshift. As soon as I backed off the throttle it went to a higher ratio.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It does move on in 1st on the ground riding right?

Hmm shifting into 2nd rules of the switch. Raising the engine speed and shifting manually if it won't shift higher and the gear indicator flashing when trying to shift up further means the controller is either seeing the engine RPM's and/or speed indicated are not high enough or something else.
The ear indicator never flashes. It just goes to 2nd and stays there unless I stop. Then it goes back to 2. Try to shift to 2 while stopped and light remains solid on 1. Won't go to 2 unless I'm moving.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
What you are describing is consistent with the fail safe mode for a problem with one of the CVT sensors or the speed sensors. That should be accompanied with an FI indicator though and you have not mentioned seeing that.
You are correct. There is no F1 indicator. Also I get code c00 when I connect in mechanic mode

What you are describing is also quite similar to what Robin's 07 was doing when the primary pulley failed. The difference being that hers would stay in a low ratio as long as you kept the throttle open but if you backed off the throttle it would up shift. I test road it and in auto mode from a dead stop it went all the way to 8,000 rpm without an upshift. As soon as I backed off the throttle it went to a higher ratio.
Took it for a ride and didn't gear up when I backed off the throttle. Always stayed in high RPM and wouldn't shift up.

So if I'm reading your response correctly, I should be going to my service mechanich and ask him to replace the primary pully. Is that correct?

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I think I would start by pulling the CVT motor out and seeing if you can move the plastic gears by hand and feeling how the motor is spinning it by hand.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Agree with MJR. You need to do some more diagnosis or have your mechanic do it if you can't. The primary pulley is an expensive part and you don't want to just replace it unless you know it is bad. Add to that it is a fairly involved process to pull the CVT to replace it and can get expensive if you pay someone to do it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I think I may have found the problem...

Took off the CVT motor. The plastic gears were chewed to rats**t. Looks like nothing is making contact with the primary pulley. The primary pulley is locked in place. It won't move.

I'm hoping that taking it apart, cleaning it, and getting new gears will fix the problem, and won't be too costly.

·
Registered
3,975 Posts
I think I may have found the problem...

Took off the CVT motor. The plastic gears were chewed to rats**t. Looks like nothing is making contact with the primary pulley. The primary pulley is locked in place. It won't move.

I'm hoping that taking it apart, cleaning it, and getting new gears will fix the problem, and won't be too costly.
Here I'll link you to this. This guy found his plastic gears chewed up possibly caused by lack of anti-seize lube on the adjuster end of the primary pulley assembly. Sounds like it is time to pull the CVT and do a full internal inspection of all the parts.

http://burgmanusa.com/forums/15-burgman-650/81713-too-late-gear-shifting-accelerate-up-cutoff-2.html

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thank you for the link MJR. Sounds like this is a job more involved than I'm qualified for. Hope it doesn't cost too much :)

1 - 17 of 17 Posts