Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i'm looking for information, i've been told that instead of 3 sets of 8 reps at heavier weights, geriatrics should do 3 sets of 5, maybe 5 sets of 5 later, and with moderate weight, as a training routine, and only 3 days a week, maintenance routine is 3/3 light weight, max 4 days a week, cardio no more than 3 hours a week.
if you know something different for us old guys, please tell me.

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I like to do 6 of 12 oz then one shot of 80 proof at least once a week.

Reactions: Plum loco and JRoss

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
To much exercise talk for one day...I’m taking a nap now.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I find that the amount of weight that I can use is mostly based on what the weights do to my joints,
So, I use the max weight that doesn't make my joints ache. And I do 2 sets of 15 to 20 reps.
About 2 to 3 times per week.

Ride safely & stay well

Reactions: s-steel

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I find that the amount of weight that I can use is mostly based on what the weights do to my joints,
So, I use the max weight that doesn't make my joints ache. And I do 2 sets of 15 to 20 reps.
About 2 to 3 times per week.

Ride safely & stay well
this is probably part of what I should change, I've been going to the gym 7 days and sometimes twice a day, but only doing weight training 4 days and once a day, . So maybe drop back to fewer days ,,,, and spend more time at the Klub.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
this is probably part of what I should change, ,,,, and spend more time at the Klub.
At the Kitty Kat Klub, lifting those $1 bills 25 times, the weight adds up.

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
Everything should be done as one who is younger though weights would be proportional. I would watch the joints and think about supplementing calcium and possible glucosamine and choindrotin.

3 hours of aerobics is good. Diet is critical also

Lifting has a lot of variables. For me personally I always try to take each set to muscular failure or as close as possible. I try to adhere to the mike mentzer high intensity training with dorian yates twisted in a bit. I do train more often than mike (rip) recommended. Suxh a wise person

Slow 4 second up and down is very difficult to keep proper form as you get to your max weights so you need to find a balance of good form that puts stress on the muscle. I work full range of motion. Not ronnie coleman style but it worked well for him

Doing 5x5 workout is brutal. I tried it before but nevef felt i was able to get it right. Form will take a hit and i also felt i wasnt able to put enough strain on the muscle itself because of the minimum reps. If i go to only 5-6 reps i will do drop sets or super sets to really wear the muscle down. Doing heavy weights also taxes the nervous system. Even just holding a heacy weight will do that.

Strength and muscle mass goes up side by side more or less. No such thing as someone getting more muscle mass without getting stronger

For me 10+ reps as work sets doesnt impact enough to keep me from atrophy with the spread workouts. And you can go heavy or long but you cant do both without enough time to heal in between.

6-12 reps for a good pump and syress on muscle where the last 3 reps youre really auffering. I sometimes rest 3 seconds towards the last and pump out a few more. Many different techbiques for keeping intensity on the muscle high

More than anything its not rhe training or the food... Its "wanting" it bad enough. And when you want it bad enough your mind is locked to do whatever it needs to get to its goal. That emans proper diet and the proper mindset for training intensely

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steel, when you work to failure, how long is your healing time? and may I ask how old are you ?

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
im 48. been bodybuilding for some years now. I feel I heal after 3+ days. im still with heavy muscle pain at times. mike mentzer says dont go into the gym till youre muscles dont hurt and an extra day above that to build. I cant wait that long though. I feel I need to go in. it used to be that I went in once a week but I dont think I was so intense to warrant a week rest (3 times aerobics during that time-its a must) so if I feel fatigued I wont go in. I am flexible on the days. I will listen to my body. I should have gone yesterday but was just tired/fatigued. today will go. never do I feel im healed after 2 days. usually 3+.

food is the hardest to really invest in. its constant and everyday. I eat the same thing everyday. no cheat days. thats me though. atm with cost cutting im eating bread as my main carbs and plan to transition to yams. I eat apples as my only fruit. no veg. I like them but im cost cutting atm
multi vitamins is a must.

5 meals. its either 6 eggs yolks+whites, cottage cheese and ground chicken breast. I had tuna in the mix but we have a shortage of water, tons of them in oil. wont touch
will add a protein powder down the line because I want to start cutting out carbs.

and what the hell? all of a sudden theres a shortage of supps at vitacost. where the hell were all these people. now I cant get some of my supps because people think that taking supps will save them from c19. dahell.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
there's a difference, i'm 63 and it's taking me TEN days to heal after a work to failure, so I switch groups a lot but still run out of things i can do. i tried 5x5 with light weights today, fell asleep a couple times from sheer boredom. Gettin old sux.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Working to failure, IMHO, is a young persons folly.

To do this when you are older, the recovery time makes it a worthless practice as the gain is lost in recovery. And the pain of recovery stymies the drive to do it again and again.

Reactions: 7milesout

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
I hope you live a long life buddy. your humor is always fantastic.

obviously the issue here is maybe too much stress from the workout. maybe a lot of weight or simply your bodies nervous system is overloaded. age obviously.

I would not recommend more weight. I would then recommend you bump up volume and slow down with the weight. get a pump with more blood flow. 5x5 is a brutal workout. I couldnt do that. and im used to extreme pain and intensity. I would recommend you might consider a faster pace but much less weight. maybe connecting a few exercises one after the other. get your heart rate up, but not tax your nervous system or muscles? maybe some supersets ?

Dave is correct. 10 days is too long for recovery. youre ok as far as blood tests are considered?

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Did any of you old timers know we have another organ that western science is just now starting to figure out ?

Tai Chi Masters have known this before Jesus was in diapers.

·
Administrator
18,332 Posts
Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
Sounds like crap to me. ;)
Real Close .....

When you get an Acupuncture Treatment they are manipulating your electrical grid for a desired outcome.

According to the Tai Chi Masters this organ is a second brain for all the other organs where the Chi is made and stored ........Chi being the electrochemical energy that the body runs on.

I think it would be cool to drive by mikeyMarines house seeing him in a gi at sunrise doing Tai Chi with his Burgman in the background.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Dave is correct. 10 days is too long for recovery. youre ok as far as blood tests are considered?
nah, blood tests indicate thyroid, hypertension, diabetes, oversexed, underpaid, excessive purty , unloved, and then some bad stuff.

·
Premium Member
8,127 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I think it would be cool to drive by MikeyMarines house seeing him in a gi at sunrise doing Tai Chi with his Burgman in the background.
swmbo won't let me wear no gi strang, she says the whistling noise upsets her dawg

Reactions: DarisPakar

·
Premium Member
3,055 Posts
I think it would be cool to drive by mikeyMarines house seeing him in a gi at sunrise doing Tai Chi with his Burgman in the background.
swmbo won't let me wear no gi strang, she says the whistling noise upsets her dawg
Ah Grasshopper....the elders have made a special ruling....you may go commando ...but be careful when she lets the dawg out....or you could be hoping he only takes a knee 🤣

Reactions: mikeyMarine

·
Registered
1,188 Posts
nah, blood tests indicate thyroid, hypertension, diabetes, oversexed, underpaid, excessive purty , unloved, and then some bad stuff.
Oversexed and underpaid. Those are bad working conditions.
All the rest is peanuts. Maybe talk to your union for a better deal

No but joking aside the thyroid issue maybe is the reason for slowed metabolism/recovery . I had thyroid issues. Took pills in the past. Working out seemed to straighten it out. Now i just have mental issues
Doing more aerobics should help stabilize over time.
You try to keep your diet clean.. As much as you can?
Get the double whopper with cheese but make sure to ask for no mayo. Dont forget the diet coke. Then you know youre making an effort

1 - 20 of 25 Posts