Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Practically instant gratification from replacing the old variator with a new one.

Old one with 38920 miles.
New one, with Dr. Slidder Pully sliders and thingy's.

Old Variator:
https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...6034528887662798098&oid=103201839200623869601
New Variator:

https://plus.google.com/u/0/photos/...6034545765088746610&oid=103201839200623869601

Complete pictures:

Like a brand new bike. I noticed that the seal on the diving pulley was totally disintegrated also.

Not much better of a feeling and 45 minutes of work to have a brand new bike again. :)
If you didn't know, a 15/16" will work in place of a 22mm.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Great photos. That is a lot of wear. What made the rounded notches on the outer fins of the old one? How much did you have to spend for the new parts?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Notches caused by the rollers being put in backwards, ie the metal parts of the rollers flush against the movable drive, where as they should only ever have the plastic parts put in.

Notice the fixed drive (aka fan) has many chips/chunks missing. This was caused by the previous owner putting the longer bolts that hold the plastic outer cover in where the screen bolts go. 5 mm is all it took to completely ruin the fixed drive and chip it. Thus probably making it very out of balance, which further contributed to all the rollers getting thrown all over the place.

As soon as I took it out for a test ride I could feel instantly how much better everything felt.

$180.29
Fixed Drive
Movable Drive
Movable Drive Plate
Both seals, and 4 screws

One of the pics you can see that on of the seals had completely wore out/away.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just got back doing some highway riding.

Prior to the new parts
45mph (indicated on speed-0) 4600 rpm
70mph (indicated on speed-0) 7400 rpm

After new parts to include DPS.
45mph (indicated on speed-0) 4100 rpm
70mph (indicated on speed-0) 6500 rpm
80mph (indicated on speed-0) 7000 rpm

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
In Some Cases the Problem is the Belt Dust!! Gets Between the Ramp Blocking the Rolling Method, Causing The rollers to JAM and Flatten out.... This has been the Problem Ever Since the CVT was Invented....

I have a Polini Set up a Mix of 4 Red Rollers and 4 White Stock Rollers...

4 Lighter 4 Heavy

Now the Sliding Weights is sopose to be Better Pushing the Dust out the Way instead of Sliding Over the Dust!!

Elliott,

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Glad to see you got it fixed.
Notice the fixed drive (aka fan) has many chips/chunks missing.
You are lucky that imbalance didn't tear the crank all to heck! I used to have a lawn business and with a blower if just one blade was chipped that much the imbalance would tear itself to bits. Luckily the impellers{correct name} on blowers are plastic and so they take the damage and not the crank. But on a CVT the parts are metal and the drive face being out of balance could have easily damaged the crank{most commonly the splines get stripped but it could cause more damage}.

This was caused by the previous owner putting the longer bolts that hold the plastic outer cover in where the screen bolts go.
Some people should not be allowed to work on things. Some them even work at dealerships! A friend of mine, the same friend that sold me my Burg, once took his pickup to have a service done. The did all the work including new plugs BUT they put in the wrong ones, ones that were longer! Needless to say they punched holes into all 8 pistons! The dealer had to put in a new engine for him.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts