Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know it's "old hat" but every now and then this bike surprises me. The front tire on my lawn tractor had I leak that "Slime" could not handle so I remove the tire and started to see if it will stay on the passenger seat w/ a bungee cord, I open the seat to get the cord and I'm looking at all the room, but no way will it fit the tire.............Will it ? ....IT DID !
Closed the seat and off I went.. I pull up to the tire shop (kind of an out door place) .The boss looks up and with a smile said we can't fix bike tires here. "It's a tractor tire I need fixed " OK he said go home and get it.
I opened the trunk pulled out the tire and his mouth just dropped open :lol:
Very few bikes could do that.

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
ha ha....I would have liked to see the look on his face.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
I love going into fast food places and ordering a big meal "to go." Unless I've been there before they almopst always say, "You mean for here?"

When I convince them that I mean "to go" they always watch me go out to the bike, and then they're astounded when I pop the trunk and put in the bag of food and a large drink or two. (I use my rain suit to prop up the drinks so they don't spill.)

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Pinwheel said:
ha ha....I would have liked to see the look on his face.
On my Canada to Mexico trip last summer I managed to get 10 day's worth of clothes (3 slacks, 5 shirts, 10 pairs of socks, 10 briefs), plus toiletteries, rain suit, a quart of oil and a liter of water, and two jackets under the seat. Camera and electric shaver in the glove boxes. Etc.

On my way back I pulled into a motel on US-101, and being a Labor Day weekend there were bikers everywhere. A group of 6 or 7 from Reno, Nevada on their way to see the Pacific Ocean pulled in at the same time I did.

They started to ask me some questions about local restaurants, etc., and I said "Oh, I'm not from here, I'm from Seattle; I'm on my way home from Mexico." The looks on their faces were great. First the shock that anyone would ride "one of those" on such a long trip, and then the realization that I didn't appear to have any baggage.

Then when I popped the trunk and pulled out a valise and two big shopping bags, plus one of my jackets (and draping the other jacket and the rain suit over the seat while I rummaged), well...they just about died.

The trick was to carefully fold all my clothes and carefully lay them in the valise and one bag, then carefully lay those in layers on top of everything else. One plastic shopping bag had all my underwear and socks, and fitted into the irregularities at the back of the trunk. But when taking everything out I let them all open up to full width, even though I knew I'd have to re-fold all my clothes. This made it look far more bulky than it really was, for maximum effect.

The looks on their faces as I kept pulling more and more stuff out of the bike was like the scene in Mary Poppins where she keeps pulling bigger and bigger stuff out of her carpet bag. It was too funny!

·
Registered
925 Posts
I love hearing stories like this :D People are just so amazed at what you can store under the seat of a scooter, even some of the smaller ones.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
JD wrote
People are just so amazed at what you can store under the seat of a scooter, even some of the smaller ones.
What's really amazing is a 15,000 dollar BMW Cruiser with Large (hard) saddle bags and a top box
--- that tire would not fit anywhere ! :(

·
Registered
207 Posts
Oh, I reckon some BMW's could've handled your tire with no problem :wink:

·
Registered
496 Posts
Wow, I am so impressed with everyone's adventurous spirit! Also with the ingeniuity of packing everything but the kitchen sink on these things.

I love to tell people that I can put a large pizza in the trunk with no problem! There mouths just drop open in awe! I have not put the hot ones in yet, just the Degiorno frozen ones. :wink:

I can't wait until the weather warms up to go on a trip someplace.

·
Registered
146 Posts
I love the trunk on my Burgman! It is so great to have my normal commute without saddlebags, tankbag, top box or knapsack. Well, I have a knapsack, but it's under the seat! :)

Last week, I was getting ready to head home for the day and started talking with a BMW rider who was doing the same. He was asking me questions about my bike: he'd heard of them and seen them around, but never up close. When I popped open the trunk to get my helmet out, his eyes popped out of his head!

He started muttering about hating his topbox and maybe getting a Burgman instead! :D

Simon

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
I love top boxes. Lately I've had one on each motorcycle or scooter I've owned. What I don't much like, are the side opening hard side bags that most motorcycle sport tourers use. Had those on my Concours & my V-Strom. Although their combined capacity is similar to a Burgman trunk, they are not nearly as convenient. You never have anything roll out of a Burgman trunk when you open it. Top loading is the way to go! And I have that twice over on the Burgman with both the underseat trunk and the top box.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts