Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had my cycle license for approximately 35 years now and have owned and operated many different bikes. I am a strong advocate of the MSF cycle safety courses and preach it to every customer who calls me for cycle insurance. It is something that wasn't offered 35 years ago and therefore, I have never taken the course myself. I guess it's time I practice what I preach.

This morning I ordered a registration form and course schedule for September and I am going to enroll in the first course I can get into.
Being a "self taught" rider, it's time this 53 year old dog learn all the new tricks that I will be the first to admit, I don't know. My skin is important to me and I'd kind of like to keep it on for a few more years.

I know this isn't exciting news for most of you but Hey, isn't there someone else out there who just might want to do the same thing?

Ride safe!!

Buzz

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
The wisest folks recognise they do not know everything.
I also took the MSF course. Even though I put a great many miles on my 400 they recommend waiting to take the advanced course, which I do plan on taking. SO I think next spring I'll take it (close to a year after taking the MSF course).

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
Been thinking about taking the advanced riders course, but right now it's not being offered around my way.
If you have been riding that long you may want to look into and advanced course yourself.
While I have nothing against the basic course and do recommend it, I think a seasoned rider could get a lot more for his/her money from the advanced course.

·
Premium Member
604 Posts
Glad to hear that you going to take the MSF course, you never to late to learn new skills.

You will be surpraised at the bad habits you have gain over the years of riding.

My husband and I are believers in the MSF courses too.

Have fun and learn alots at your MSF course.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Hi Buzz - congrats and enjoy the course. :wink:

We have courses for those who have passed their test - normally arranged wih police motorcycle cops - been thinking about signing up myself.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I found out when I called this morning that in Wisconsin you can't take the advanced course if you have never taken the basic course. Even if you have been licensed for 100 years like me. But that's OK, as Ruthie said, I have probably picked up too many bad habits that I need to undo. I can always take the advanced course later.

I'll try not to be too intimidated by all those scary 16 year olds.

Buzz

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Buzz, we had mostly older folks in my MSF course, including a 70 year old man who had never been on a bike before! Some had bikes already, some had little/no experience. You may just find yourself a little bit surprised by the demographic diversity of your classmates! :D

·
Registered
55 Posts
Buzz,

I have taken the MSF Experienced Riders course 9 times! I learn something new every time, polish up on my good habits and try to get rid of my bad habits. Its actually pretty fun especially when the class is small. I encourage all my riding friends to take the course and newbie riders to take the beginners course :)

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Selias said:
The wisest folks recognise they do not know everything.
True. I'll also add that at some point the wise have to forget something old to make room for learning something new. I've already forgotten more than I ever learned. I think it all happened in a history class, though. :wink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts