(1500) putting out about 68 hp. My wife has nearly 30k on her
Vulcan 800 and it dyno'd at 58 hp. A buddy had me looking at
Goldwing 1800s, but the price keeps me from seeing them very
clearly<g>

The Burgman 650 looks like an interesting vehicle. Easy on and off,
built-in storage, not much accessorizing necessary to make it tour-
ready. I'm a little concerned about moving backwards in
displacement, but I've ridden enough "street bikes" to understand
that more cc's don't always equate to more usable power.

I've been scanning the group as well, as the net in general, looking
for more details. I've not found much in the way of technical
reviews. I figure this is the place to find out just how it stacks
up on the road.

Maintenance: How long do the tires last? (I get about 15k on the
rear and 20k on the front on the Nomad.) Is there any special
maintenance for the drive train? What kind of routine maintenance
would be required in a trip of 4,000 miles?

Capacity: The only reference I ever find is that the storage
compartment will hold 2 full-face helmets. That's nice, but a
little ambiguous. What is the capacity in cc or sq in? Is there
only one aftermarket trunk available?

Performance: I weigh about 200#. Will it hold 75 mph into a 30 mph
head wind? How about 65+ on a 5% grade? Are top end roll ons
adequate for passing on 2 lane highways? (55 to 80 in 10 seconds or
less?) How much does it bog down 2-up? Will it maintain 75 mph on
the highway? What decrease can be expected in fuel economy riding 2-
up?

Comfort: How comfortable is the stock seat? How about the
pillion? I don't expect to spend much time with a passenger, but in
case of a breakdown or just the desire for a little togetherness...
My arms aren't very long, requiring extended risers on cruisers.
Is there any accomodation for changing the angle/reach on the handlebars?
How much heat is transferred from the engine to the rider? Living
in AZ and travelling to Hell (I mean Phoenix) regularly, I'm a
little concerned about the effect of the full-body fairing on
adequate heat dissipation. Is there any appreciable head-buffeting
at highway speeds? If so, is it ameliorated by windshield
adjustment?

I've read about the Clearview windscreen recently, but I'm not sure
I understand what's up. Does it have built-in vents like the GW?
Does it come in different heights? What are the advantages?

Anything else anybody would like to add - I'm interested.

Thanks,
Fran McHugh
Winslow, AZ

·
Registered
3,323 Posts
Greetings McQ and welcome to the forum. I'll try and answer some of your questions.

Maintenance:
Tire wear is always dependent on the riding style of the individual. Seems to me you are not an agressive rider given the mileage you quoted on your cruiser. I personally got 12,500 miles on my rear and opted to change the front as well as it was the end of the riding season here and I didn't feel like changing the front 1 month into the new season.

Capacity:

The trunk is a 55 litre trunk. There are several popular brands of top cases ranging from approx. 40 litres to approx 55 litres. Theres 3 that immediately come to mind .

Performance:

Suzuki claim 55 hp and torque readings around 72 if I remember correctly. I would bet money that your wifes Vulcan would be hard pushed to keep up to the 650. It will easily do everything you asked in your question.
Of course 2 up depends on the weight being hauled. Me at 200 and my oldest son at 170 were cruising at 75 on the highway and we pulled up to a group of Harley riders. Well I guess I wanted to prove a point and quickly opened the throttle and we quickly accellerated to 90 mph. Yes the 650 still has ummph at the higher speeds.

Comfort:
Only second to the Goldwing in my books. My passenger is totally happy with the addition of the backrest. No mods made to the seat at all.
The body work is extremely good in keeping all engine heat away from the rider. Living in Canada I think I may start riding with the access hatch off in the fall so I can get some of that good engine heat circulating .

Windscreen
This is the area where most people complain. Aftermarkets screens do seem to be the normal in this area depending on your physical stature. The clearview does have a vent in it and yes it just happens to be the Goldwing vent. You can get in contact with clearview and they will recommend a screen for your size. They do have several sizes vented and unvented.

Hope that helps a bit.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
First off, Welcome to the site.

I can tell you about mine, and others may vary a bite.

"I'm a little concerned about moving backwards in
displacement, but I've ridden enough "street bikes" to understand
that more cc's don't always equate to more usable power.
I've been scanning the group as well, as the net in general, looking
for more details. I've not found much in the way of technical
reviews. I figure this is the place to find out just how it stacks
up on the road."

I have no concerns about taking this bike anywhere on the road riding 2-up.

"Maintenance: How long do the tires last? "

I have 10,400 miles and have gone through 2 rear tires. For some reason I eat tires. Some members are getting 10,000+ on theirs. Not me Riding 2-up at highway speeds 90% of the time must load the rear a bit much. Bridgstone rear $120 Pirelli $40. Both get the same mileage. (for me)
The front looks good for another 3,000, but I'm changing it anyway.

"Is there any special maintenance for the drive train? "
Nothing special really, standard Oil change on the engine and trans, every other on the final drive. Total time to change all fluids, under 1 hr.

"What kind of routine maintenance would be required in a trip of 4,000 miles? "
New tires (rear anyway) fresh fluids. that's about it.

"Capacity: The only reference I ever find is that the storage
little ambiguous. What is the capacity in cc or sq in?"

55 litres under the seat. I can get 2 helmets, 2 heavy leather jackets under there.

"Is there only one aftermarket trunk available?"
No, there are 4 that I know of, GIVI being the most popular, VIP being #2

"Performance: I weigh about 200#. Will it hold 75 mph into a 30 mph
up? "

On a 1,200 trip last fall, riding 2 up (GVW 1,000 maxed out), 80 mph (indicated) was no problem. The bike weighs about 550 wet. Usfull load about 450. When additional power is needed, the trans simply adjusts the RPM, Typically 4,000 crusing @ 65, Really loaded in a headwind, 4,500-5,000 RPM. Red line is 8,500 RPM, I never had it there. Crusing @ 80, in a headwind, loaded, crusing RPM 5,500-6,000 RPM. I averaged 48 MPG (US)

"Comfort: How comfortable is the stock seat?"
I needed to do extensive modification to the seat. Others are fine with the stock set-up, and some have gone to Corbin, or other after market seat. Overall it'e better than most, but the butt stop can be an issue. (easily removed)

"How about the pillion? I don't expect to spend much time with a passenger, but in case of a breakdown or just the desire for a little togetherness..."

Same as above

"My arms aren't very long, requiring extended risers on cruisers.
Is there any accomodation for changing the angle/reach on the handlebars?"

Risers are available if required

"How much heat is transferred from the engine to the rider. Living in AZ and travelling to Hell (I mean Phoenix) regularly, I'm a
little concerned about the effect of the full-body fairing on
adequate heat dissipation."

I ride up to 95 degrees F, after that I don't know.

"Is there any appreciable head-buffeting at highway speeds? If so, is it ameliorated by windshield adjustment? "
Aftermarket windshields are availabe if need, depending on you size.

"I've read about the Clearview windscreen recently, but I'm not sure
Does it come in different heights? What are the advantages? "

I use a GIVI, and it works fine for me. Clearview has more options and different sizes. As we all know one size does not fit all.

"Anything else anybody would like to add - I'm interested."
Me and my wife ride abot 150 miles a day, on the weekends, alone or with others. The handling is close to a sport bike, and does 90-95% of what I need.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
McQ said:
Maintenance: How long do the tires last? (I get about 15k on the
rear and 20k on the front on the Nomad.) Is there any special
maintenance for the drive train? What kind of routine maintenance
would be required in a trip of 4,000 miles?
You'll go through tires faster on the AN650. The wheel diameters are smaller so the tires are spinning faster at any given speed. With Pirellis I do a little better than 8K with the rear. I haven't worn out my first Pirelli front yet. I have about 8K on it and it looks great. Transmission and final drive lubes need to be changed every 7K miles. There is a CVT filter that needs to be checked/cleaned occasionally. I have over 16K miles on the original filter, checked it twice.

McQ said:
Capacity: The only reference I ever find is that the storage
little ambiguous. What is the capacity in cc or sq in? Is there
only one aftermarket trunk available?
The underseat trunk is 55 liters. I also have a Givi 52 liter top box and a DJ Ellis hump bag. I use the Givi top box all the time, the hump bag only when I tour. Givi makes other model top boxes of various sizes - the 52 liter is the largest. There are also other manufacturers, but I like Givi luggage products so I never looked into them.

McQ said:
Performance: I weigh about 200#. Will it hold 75 mph into a 30 mph
up?
I've done 500 mile touring days cruising at 75 or 80 mph. There is still plenty left for passing trucks. The 650 will accelerate well up to about 100 mph, depending on accessories. Large windscreens and top boxes do create wind drag that affect top speed. But I have an XXL windscreen and a large top box and it will still pull strongly into the mid to high 90 mph ranges. Fuel economy is also affected by these same accessories, particularly during high speed cruising. On the average I am getting 46 to 47 mpg. Running constantly at 80 mph with touring load can drop me closer to 40 mpg at times. 30 mph winds are just "breezy" days where I live. Any bike that could not handle that would be useless in the plains states. The AN650 handles it fine.

McQ said:
Comfort: How comfortable is the stock seat? How about the
pillion? I don't expect to spend much time with a passenger, but in
case of a breakdown or just the desire for a little togetherness...
My arms aren't very long, requiring extended risers on cruisers.
Is there any accomodation for changing the angle/reach on the handlebars?
I have a stock seat that has had the butt stop (backrest) removed for more legroom and has been recovered for better appearance. It is pretty good - I've had many worse OEM motorcycle seats. There are other aftermarket alternatives. A small amount of adjustment in the bars is possible, but the handlebar cover limits the range of adjustment. A couple of folks have installed up & back type risers (GenMar I think).

McQ said:
How much heat is transferred from the engine to the rider?
None.

McQ said:
Is there any appreciable head-buffeting
at highway speeds? If so, is it ameliorated by windshield
adjustment?
There can be. There isn't any adjustment with the stock screen, but some folks have shimmed the mounts to get a different angle of wind deflection. Sometimes that is enough. There are various aftermarket windscreens available, as well as add-on products like the Saeng Wing Tip and Laminar Lip. If you do have a problem with buffeting, it is fixable at a moderate cost.

McQ said:
I've read about the Clearview windscreen recently, but I'm not sure
Does it come in different heights? What are the advantages?
Clearview is the best windshield replacement line in my opinion. They have very good optics and come in various heights. The vent is optional at extra cost. I have it and highly recommend it. It is the same adjustable vent found on Goldwings. Cee Bailey just released a line of windscreens for the AN650 from what I understand, also in various heights. I've used the Cee Bailey product on another motorcycle and found it to be effective. Givi makes just one size screen for the AN650. Works for some folks - I tried it and hated it.

McQ said:
Anything else anybody would like to add - I'm interested.
The biggest advantage of the AN650 over cruisers is convenience. I've had many motorcycles, including a Honda Shadow 1100 cruiser. The Burgman is like the swiss army knife of two wheeled rides - extremely versatile. As long as you don't need off road capability, it rules. If I had to equate it to a motorcycle category, I'd say sport tourer. I sold my last motorcycle, a Suzuki V-Strom 1000, this year. I just wasn't riding it much anymore. No regrets.

·
Registered
520 Posts
Only have a second for the moment but will briefly say I have owned BOTH bikes you have. The 650 will flat leave both your cruisers for DEAD. Flat dead. In every catagory except luggage on your "NAD". Hills, twisites, stopping, acceleration, you name it. But if you put Muzzy twin fishtails on your Nad, well, WHO could walk away from that? :)

You have 2 wonderful bikes. The Burgman line are 2 wonderful scooters. They will humiliate ANY cruiser I have owned, and I have owned too many!

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
Hello, McQ (Are you a tall, retired Seattle cop who lives on a boat, by any chance?)

Here's a bit on my experience with the 650.

I've had mine for a little over a year now, and have 11,000+ miles on it. Still on the original tires.

Last summer I rode from the Canadian Border to the Mexican Border and back, about 3,000 miles. I had my regular service done just before leaving, and had the next one a thousand miles or so after I got back. Nothing was needed in between those times; no adding oil, adding water, or even adding air to the tires.

The trunk can hold two full-face helmets and is 55 litres in volume. But as a better idea; on my trip I carried 5 shirts, 3 pants, 1 two-piece rain suit, a blue blazer, 2 pairs of dress shoes, three ties, 1 cold weather jacket, 10 changes of socks and underwear, 1 quart of oil, 1 litre of water, and a toilettry kit all under the seat. I used the two small dash boxes for sun screen, sun glasses, "bug rag" (for wiping face shield while in motion), extra ear plugs, etc. The only thing that wouldn't fit inside the bike was my camera's tripod, and that got stolen on the trip down. (I'm doing the same trip again in September, but doing the southbound leg in 36 hours for an IBA attempt. Smaller tripod this time, so it'll be secure.)

"Will it hold 75 mph into a 30 mph head wind? How about 65+ on a 5% grade? Are top end roll ons adequate for passing on 2 lane highways? (55 to 80 in 10 seconds or less?) How much does it bog down 2-up? Will it maintain 75 mph on the highway?"

:lol: I've had mine to 113 indicated (101 actual) in testing. I've ridden across many mountain passes, including Stevens Pass, Snoqulamie Pass, through the Siskyous, up to Mount Olympus, etc. No loss of performance at all.

0 - 60 in 10 seconds in normal mode, 8 seconds in Power mode, and 7 seconds in manual mode. I've never timed 55 - 80, but it's quick. After 80 it slows a bit, and above 90 increases take a loooooong time, but at normal speeds accelleration is brisk. It's not a wheelie-popping, neck-snapping machine of course, but for a touring/commuting machine it's all you need.

BTW, I'm 6'5" and 230 pounds. I'd be more comfortable with a cutom seat and a Clearview XXL screen, but for now my Burgman is factory stock.

HTH.

·
Registered
719 Posts
McQ said:
Performance: I weigh about 200#. Will it hold 75 mph into a 30 mph head wind? How about 65+ on a 5% grade? Are top end roll ons
the highway?
"Surely you jest."
"No, I'm serious...and don't call me Shirley."

I have found that the Burgman 650 will do anything on public roads you could reasonably ask of it: commute, play with sportbikes in the twisties, run errands, tour thousands of miles. It is probably the most well rounded form of two-wheeled transportation ever conceived.

·
Registered
257 Posts
You guys are the greatest source of info. I have ever experienced. I bought my '05 blue 650 2 months ago. Haven't had the pleasure of figuring out what it can do, but reading these posts, now I know.

My 2 cents worth------------
My son has a new Honda CBR1000 and we ride for about an hour every evening. Last time we rode, we both pulled even at a stop sign and I put the burger in manual and gave it everything when I took off. There is no way I could beat him but for the first 1/8 mile he was on his full bore to catch me. (I faked him out) :p He did not realize just how fast the "tupperware" cruiser can be when you play with it like a crotch rocket.
I'm 57, been riding for 30 years, had Harleys and a BMW R1100R. I don't miss any of 'em.
Jim Ceriale

·
Registered
728 Posts
I guess maybe I'm the oddball here. I traded in my suzi intruder 1400 for a 650 burgie early this spring. There is alot that I do like about the burgie. BUt...there are many times when I truely miss my "truder. There is nothing on the burgie that can compare to the thumping sounds of the two big pistons pounding out power at 50 mph. I know come fall, when the weather gets cooler, then I'll be loving the burgie more, but for now I'm missing my old baby.
My wife says the rear seat is too wide, and her legs don't fit comfortably on the passenger footrests. I have to get padding for both her and me, as the front seat is a bit hard and the rear, well, there is NO padding what so ever. when I bought the burgie, my one big thought was, "lots of good seating for my wife". Well, first ride, she said " the seat on the intruder was MUCH more comfortable". that was my first big let down. I'm good for about 40 - 50 miles, then my butt starts to get real sore. No, I can't afford $400-500 for a **** seat. I think thats highway robbery anyways. So I'll look into padding for the burgies.
Don't get me wrong, there is alot about the burgie I do really like. Great storage, great protection in the rain and cool weather. But, its not a cruiser, and never will be.
If I could have both the burgie and my 1400 truder, I'd be in heaven.

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the input. My wife sat on the pillion behind me, with the scoot up on its center stand, in the dealership in Flagstaff. She was not favorably impressed with the cush of the rear and the width, coupled with the narrow passenger floorboards, seemed unlikely to make for a pleasant long-distance experience.

Fortunately, she rides her own bike and occasions with a passenger are rare, but not unheard of.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I'm sure, when I get my wife some kind of cushion, she'll be better about it. we don't do real long rides together, about 40-60 miles round trip once a week.

·
Registered
3,411 Posts
It just goes to show how "individual" we all are.

I've done many rides of 150 - 300 miles a day, and a few of 500 miles or more. I find the 650's seat to be quite comfortable. If it were a bit higher and a bit further back it would be perfect...for me.

I've read here of couples who tour, and some of them have commented on how the passenger's seat (and that's what it is, really) is more comfortable than the tiny pillions found on most bikes.

But others find them uncomfortable, even after being broken in.

Different strokes for different folks.

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
McQ,
Seats and even floor boards can be midified. There are several options in the photo gallery. I had to modify the floor boards for my wife, and I have to say they worked out well.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I took the rubber pad off the riders floorboard then cut a 1 inch thick board to the same shape. Bolted on a piece of 1" square tubing to be used as a footpeg. Painted the whole thing flat black and added a nonslip surface to the peg. My wife is far more comfortable with this setup since her feet both rest easier and don't slip off.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts