Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Pick it up this weekend. A new blue '03.

I hope I love it as much as all of you do!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, 250 miles down...

What a perfect machine for me! The CVT is really awesome!

I'm getting the Utopia backrest (2 back surgeries already), have the Givi E52 on order, and will look into a REAL windshield next week.

The stock shield only comes up to about the middle of my neck and puts the wind right smack into my face. I think I need to go at least 3" higher.

Anyhow, great bike!

·
Registered
308 Posts
Rode the BB back from work

finally got plates and insurance on the BB.

If you sat me on this bike and didnt tell me what it was first, I could swear it was a 4 cyl. BMW K750 series. Feels and rides about the same. It has no twin character at all.

I flogged it 40 miles back from Salem NH to MArblehead MA. COLD COLD...even with the electric vest plugged in.

Handling was telepathic, very neutral steering and straight road performance. I do not plan on babying this bike.

Auto drivers at on-coming intersections seem to see the bike well, I also wear a white full face and a vsibelt. Of course, I dont trust 'em as far as I can spit.

All in all, very nice, COLD, ride. Im impressed with the little appliance.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My thoughts exactly; this is everything I ever wanted a bike to be!

Just order the tinted Clearview XL today; backordered a few weeks though so I'll suffer until then...

Service manual coming from Oneida Suzuki, Givi E52 (Burgie Blue) with brakelights coming from AZMUSA, and backrest from Utopia...

Oh yes, throttle rocker and Vista cruise... Now I'm all set! :D

·
Registered
308 Posts
Warren said:
M..

Oh yes, throttle rocker and Vista cruise... Now I'm all set! :D
yeah right...you will plow every spare cent into this plastic wrapped mixmaster...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Re: Rode the BB back from work

abm said:
Handling was telepathic, very neutral steering and straight road performance.
I really can't get over how well my 650 handles. :shock: It's 'look there - go there.' I still haven't been able to detect any counter-steering. I actually turn into the corner. Very unmotorcycle-like. The DR is like a wrestling match by comparison.

8)

·
Registered
308 Posts
Re: Rode the BB back from work

wasions said:
abm said:
Handling was telepathic, very neutral steering and straight road performance.
I really can't get over how well my 650 handles. :shock: It's 'look there - go there.' I still haven't been able to detect any counter-steering. I actually turn into the corner. Very unmotorcycle-like. The DR is like a wrestling match by comparison.

8)
I'd like to make another comment on handling: When riding to work today, I thought, ' this is really like a sport touring bike - the handling in r/l/ transitions is very effortless. I was thinking that on my Kaw Nomad (which is a very good handling big V-twin), that 'wow, there is no need to anticipate much of a set for a turn and reverse', whereas with other bikes, you really have to set up to get the line right. I never owned an ST1100, but I did ride one for about 200 miles, and it feels like that. The motor also has plenty of tourque even in Normal mode, right offf the line.

The BB also has great geometry; it does'nt have the nasty tendency to follow the raod camber, which some of my longer wheelbase bikes really did.

However, there is one thing that needs to be done, and Im serious about it: The bikes engine braking and trenasmission combo really require a decel sensor to allow some freewheel or brakelight activation (however momentary), when you roll off abrubptly.

There are many inexpensive decel sensors in the delphi and Motorola catalog, and they all have a relay driver output, so getting one cobbed up to the brake light should be cake. Im going to be working on this. Im thinking of tying the sensor to a set of those square LED arrays that flash a few times then quit...what are those called....sold by Cycle gadgets ???

Or I will wire it to a Abck off Module, and then to the Givi trunk brakelight. So when you roll off agressively, it will flash the aux brakelight a few times.

I feel very strongly about this...its only a matter of time before one of us ends up a hood ornament.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I feel very strongly about this...its only a matter of time before one of us ends up a hood ornament.
I agree... I am already getting in the habit of giving the rear brake a few small tugs anytime I roll of the power.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Warren said:
I agree... I am already getting in the habit of giving the rear brake a few small tugs anytime I roll of the power.
I've only had the bike a week now, but that's one of the first things that went through my mind. "These brakes oughta last a lifetime. They only get used from 10 mph to 0." And if you 'downshift' into Power mode it's almost like grabbing the next lower gear.

Once though, when I had to brake hard, the rear started to skid a little. The brakes are very good indeed (and so are the tires).

1 - 11 of 11 Posts