Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was wondering what oils everyone is using in the 650. Looking for something I can use in the engine, transmission, and final drive. Really wanting fully synthetic.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
There're so many threads on this, that everything could be in oil here soon. :D

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm sorry to start another one. Was just seeing what people were using. I've got bad eyes so going through older threads with multiple pages is hard.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
It's just as hard to go through a new thread with multiple pages. I'm a cheap-oil guy who changes it religiously. I've got a pair of Concourses with over 100k miles each to show for it. I think the real trick is taking care of the poor thing, paying attention when she starts doing something odd, and getting questions answered right here.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
What are the oils that people use? I remember something about shell rotellea or something? Idk. Sorta lost

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts
The most proven oil that a lot of members use is Full synthetic Shell Rotella T6 5W40. Many thounds of miles on many bikes. And a 1 gallon jug is enough to do the engine and the transmission. All for about $23 at Walmart last I checked.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's what I thought. But why 5w40? Thought it called for 10w40? And would two gallons be more than enough to do the engine, transmission, and final drive?

·
Registered
197 Posts
There are people on this forum who just love to jump on members who dare to bring up a topic that has been discussed before. Calm down. If you don't have interest in a thread just don't read it - skip it. The man has a simple question that deserves a respectful reply. Some members don't live on this forum as others obviously do.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
@GK13
The first number is a suggestion of the oil viscosity in cold temps (e.g. 5w40 bahves like a 5 weight oil when cold and a 40 weight oil when hot), the second number is a suggestion of the oil viscosity at operating temps (or the base oil viscosity, I don't recall exactly).

I'm currently running the Rotella T6 after last night's oil change.

·
Registered
240 Posts
There are people on this forum who just love to jump on members who dare to bring up a topic that has been discussed before. Calm down. If you don't have interest in a thread just don't read it - skip it. The man has a simple question that deserves a respectful reply. Some members don't live on this forum as others obviously do.
Well said !;)

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Final drive in a 650 doesn't take engine oil like a 400 does. 75W140 is what I run in the final drive. I run Rotella T5 15-40 in engine & trans. I change engine oil at 5k & final drive at 10k. Easy to remember, I just changed oil as I hit 25k this past weekend.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Use the Rotella T6 in your bike and tranny and both you and your machine will be happy for a long time.

Here is what I and a few others do when running a good synthetic oil:

Every 5,000 miles change your engine oil. That's it. Then at 10,000 miles change the engine oil again and this time change the oil filter and the transmission oil too. Drain and refill the final drive and you are done.

For those that like to change your oil filter at every oil change remember that changing it ever other time for this bike is just fine. Suzuki even recommends changing it ever third change so doing it every other change will be just dandy.

With the 650 Burgman you are far more likely to be needed a transmission rebuild someday than you will another engine. Built like a brick they are.

·
Registered
1,820 Posts
Another alternative is to "empty the filter", and replace it at every second oil change.

There is around 200ml of oil trapped in the filter and a further 100ml that is trapped in the engine case above the filter.

I prefer to get that dirty oil out and then just screw the filter back on again before refilling with clean oil.

N.B. note that you will never get all the oil out of the engine unless you tear it right down. Even with the drain plug and filter removed there is still around 500ml of dirty oil sitting in the head, oil galleys, clutch basket etc., and other parts of the motor.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, so it sounds to me I need the Shell Rotella T6 5w-40. The lighter weight oil because it's easier on the engine when cold starting first in the morning? I got the final drive oil the owners manual says to get. 75w-90 I think I got. I picked up a K&N oil filter too. Seems it's got the oem filter on it right now. Any possible way to get it off without the special tool?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe the 650 uses the same filter as the Boulevard C50. When I had that I used

As it made less of a mess than pounding a screwdriver though the can. It'll dent the can a little but the final results fit in the garbage just fine.

Putting it back on, hand tight is fine.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I may be the odd man of the lot. When I put a filter on first I oil the gasket on the new filter and screw it on until it makes contact. Then I turn about one half to three quarters turn by hand. I have never had one leak and rarely need any tool to remove one I've put on.

·
Administrator
18,711 Posts
<<<SNIP>>>Putting it back on, hand tight is fine.
I may be the odd man of the lot. When I put a filter on first I oil the gasket on the new filter and screw it on until it makes contact. Then I turn about one half to three quarters turn by hand. I have never had one leak and rarely need any tool to remove one I've put on.
Yep, me too. I have the pliers only when one is put on too tight.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts