Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
after my first oil change i went directly to synthetic oil.i made that change when the light when on for the first time,approx 600 miles.My questions are:
Can switch back to regular oil not synthetic with no damage done to the egine,or will i have to use synthetic for the rest of the life of the 400.The bike now has 2100 miles when would be the next oil change as a lot of guys say it last longer than regular oil.Any idea when the next oil change would be due?Please help thanks.
bruno

·
Super Moderator
8,069 Posts
I think you changed too soon, I changed over @ 7,000 miles in my 650. When I had my 400, it was still loosening up @ 3,000 miles, using conventional oil. You may need to wait longer for this, using svnthetic. If you haven't had any problems, I don't think you damaged anything It will take longer for the break-in to happen. I have heard, some engines use synthetics from the start, with no problems. You can normally extend the oil change to about 4,500 miles, but I would change the oil (and filter), not for the oil failing, but to get the shavings out from break-in.

·
Registered
2,385 Posts
You wasted a little money switching so soon, but that's about all, no harm done, and yes you can switch back anytime you like.
Synthetic oils are just "slipperier" and don't break down as fast as Dino-oil, You can switch back and forth anytime you like with no ill effects -makes no sense to do that ,but you can - I have always felt your first and second change should be short, 600 and then again at around 2000.
Like Jim said more for shavings then for the oil.
Then I change oil every 4 to 5 thousand miles, no matter what oil I am using. I know bikers who use Synthetic and go for 6+ thousand miles, but they don't run as " hard" as I do.
A new engine needs time to "polish" it self, get rid of tool marks and get all moving parts mated, you can do this with Synthetics as well , but it will take longer and cost you more because the parts don't ware AND polish as fast.
You look at a new piston, it shines and is smooth, look at that same piston under a microscope and you see a very rough surface, in need of a good "polishing".

Please Note-------
This is just my opinion and may be worth no more then you paid for it :)

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your replies

Thank for all of your replies ,i can now sleep better.I thought i had made a big mistake.Thanks again.
BRUNO :D :D :D :D :D :D

1 - 4 of 4 Posts