Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
709 Posts
USA produced Synthetic is highly refined Dino oil ( so the story goes)...It is not real Synthetic...It cannot be sold in E.U because it is not corn/man made oil, so misrepresentation would be in order. It can be sold in the E.U but not labeled as 'Synthetic' but more as high grade standard oil which is what it really is. There was a huge lawsuit between Mobil 1 and Castrol regarding the term Synthetic. I believe Castrol won, and proved mobil 1 was not synthetic. I may have my it wrong, but i heard a lot about it at the time.

During the early 90's...The Corvette Lt series engine (Lotus) did not have a cooler on them...Strict rules were to use Synthetic only as the breakdown temp is 400f, vs 290f dino oil...This became a problem when corvette owners were going to Walmarts for the $29.99 oil change special and installing regular oil in their cars...Under normal conditions it would be ok, but running 3000-3800 rpm on a blistering hot day, you can see 300f in the oil pan easily. Mobil 1 and Castrol were at the time about the only oil certified by GM, which brings up another question...If it isent real synthetic, then why do they certify it?

It's all a a bit sceptical...This winter i'm going to leave a dino oil quart and a mobil 1 quart outside to see what happens at -30f to see how the flow differs from the jug.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.