Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back, I read something that said Mobil 1 could not be labelled a full synthetic in Europe because it was made with petroleum base stocks, or something like that. It wasn't a "true" synthetic. Can't even remember where I read it. Was quite a while ago. So, can our European friends enlighten us on the facts? Is it or isn't it? That is the question.

·
Registered
709 Posts
USA produced Synthetic is highly refined Dino oil ( so the story goes)...It is not real Synthetic...It cannot be sold in E.U because it is not corn/man made oil, so misrepresentation would be in order. It can be sold in the E.U but not labeled as 'Synthetic' but more as high grade standard oil which is what it really is. There was a huge lawsuit between Mobil 1 and Castrol regarding the term Synthetic. I believe Castrol won, and proved mobil 1 was not synthetic. I may have my it wrong, but i heard a lot about it at the time.

During the early 90's...The Corvette Lt series engine (Lotus) did not have a cooler on them...Strict rules were to use Synthetic only as the breakdown temp is 400f, vs 290f dino oil...This became a problem when corvette owners were going to Walmarts for the $29.99 oil change special and installing regular oil in their cars...Under normal conditions it would be ok, but running 3000-3800 rpm on a blistering hot day, you can see 300f in the oil pan easily. Mobil 1 and Castrol were at the time about the only oil certified by GM, which brings up another question...If it isent real synthetic, then why do they certify it?

It's all a a bit sceptical...This winter i'm going to leave a dino oil quart and a mobil 1 quart outside to see what happens at -30f to see how the flow differs from the jug.

·
Registered
1,060 Posts
I've learned that Oil is kinda of a Vudu, some love mineral others synthetic, I dont know the answer to your question but as long as it is oil and its changed at the intervals suggested, the engine should be just fine.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Actually at the time of the law suit Mobile 1 was true synthetic. Castrol was selling the highly refined group 3 base stock oil as synthetic.

Mobile sued Castrol on the grounds that Castrol was not a true synthetic. Mobile lost and Castrol was able to continue calling their petroleum based oil synthetic.

It has been speculated that Mobile changed their formulation to Group 3 base stock to be able to compete against the other companies who were selling those as synthetic, as Group 4 and Group 5 synthetics are much more expensive than the Group 3 fake synthetics.

I pretty much use the attitude that if a company doesn't state in writing that their oil is Group 4 or 5, that it is NOT a true synthetic.

·
Administrator
18,752 Posts
It all tastes the same on Corn Flakes.

For so many years, I got Chevron Delo 400 for free and Chevron Supreme for fleet cost. The Supreme is classed as Iso Syn. It is a Group 3 that is refined a bit higher than its brother Delo 400. In over 210,000 miles on the police interceptor 360 in my Little Red Express I had one failure due to lube. It was the oil pump that could not supply enough flow at 6000 - 7200 RPM for 4 miles and it toasted the crankshaft. Dang son. But he beat the Integra with the big fart pipe and wing. Dang Kids

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I use the cheap dino oil. As a commuter, I rack up the miles quickly and it gets changed every six to eight weeks - not enough time to really break down much, according to my mechanic.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oh yeah. It has the additional advantage of being available absolutely everywhere.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Mobil1 0W-40 in engine and "transmission." It's something the engine can actually pump when it's 20F outside. 3000 mile change schedule w/filter (or that's the plan anyway).

The oil topic -- here we go again!

·
Registered
75 Posts
I guess I'm an Amsoil guy. I changed it in my 650 today, getting ready for spring. I use the 20W-50 Advanced Synthetic in my motorcycle engines and I've had excellent results.

I use Amsoil brand products in everything I have. My F-250 Powerstroke, my wife's RX-350, my 07' Accord with over 240K miles and I do the extended drain intervals (25K) that Amsoil recommends. I've been using Amsoil and doing the extended drain periods for 20 years and I'm very happy with the results I've had.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
Shell Rotella 5-40.

If I were to use Dino, then I'd use Chevron DELO 400. Used it during breaking and liked it.

·
Registered
511 Posts
>>I guess I'm an Amsoil guy.<<

Me too..been using it for ~30 years. I use it in my cars, truck, three diesel tractors, and countless (modern) motorcycles over the years.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I use 10w-40 full synthetic castrol oil. I always thought that it was as full a synthetic as I could get. I was always told to use it because it's supposed to be more thin, and if there is a leak in the bike, I'd know of it sooner. Is there a better full synthetic? I always use the best parts/stuff in and on my bike that I can.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I have a Morini, run on dino oil it needs the valves done every 2/3 k miles
due to rocker shaft ware, run on semi synth it as not needed touching in 10 k
tests proved that there was no measurable difference between semi and fully on it so I now run every thing including my turbo diesel Renault on semi, but buy
a good know brand as there does not seem to be any guide as to how much synth is in the mix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts