Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Y'all

I performed the oil change on my Burgman yesterday, wasn't able to remove the filter so I just added the new oil until I saw it in the viewing window. I stopped adding when it was between the "L" and "F" exactly centered, I added 3.1 quarts of oil. I ran the scooter on idle for a few minutes to make sure that the oil circulated. I checked again and it was at the same place. Well I drove it a bit today and per suggestion, checked on my return for any leaks. Well the oil viewing glass is totally full of oil. I didn't add any oil to the tranny, was going to do that next week. I remember reading that sometimes the oil from the engine and transmission sometimes mixes due to high speed or hard acceleration. Well I didn't run high speed and I accelerated normally on my 15 mile trip.
the scooter ran normal on the run and I didn't notice any performance issues. is this something I need to be concerned with? Or should I just drain the oil from the engine and tranny and add fresh?

I thank you for your time

Bob

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Oil will always "settle" right after a new oil change, and you're never quite sure what's going on with the first one. If you look into the sight glass immediately after stopping the motor, it will always be a bit high. Let it stand for a few minutes and give all of the oil the chance to find its lowest level.

But your real problem is being unable to remove the filter. I can't tell if you live in the States or not, but if so try going into any auto parts store and get a filter wrench - the kind that slips over the top of the filter and lets you use a ratchet to twist it off. They come in many different sizes, so I got mine while getting the replacement filter and simply bought the one which fit.

And if you do need to let a little out, just remove the drain plug for a second or two. Add a little back in if you've let too much out.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hey ChipDoc,

I let it sit overnight and it is still a bit high. I can barely see a demarcation line at the top of the glass. So it is still reading "overfilled". I will drain a bit out and see how it goes. I was really concerned yesterday when I saw the full glass and immediately thought "crap, I blew a seal". I couldn't believe the filter problem, I had gotten used to my cars when I do the service, I make them hand tight. And have had no problem. I am a newbie to the 2 wheeler world and I have a lot of learning to do.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Having the oil up above the full line is not really a problem if you can see any kind of a demarcation line in the sight glass.

As for the filter, the OEM Suzuki filter uses a round o-ring for a seal instead of the flat o-ring you see on most car filters. Spec calls for it to be tightened 2 full turns after touching instead of the 2/3 turn most filters call for. That makes it much harder to remove, especially if the last person who changed it did not put a little oil on the o-ring before installing.

I use a Wix filter on my 650 instead of the Suzuki one. It has the flat o-ring on it so I just tighten it the normal 2/3 turn. That means I can usually remove it without even using a filter wrench.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Oil expands more than one might think when it warms up from air temperature to 200+ degrees. Any engine indicating full when cold will indicate over full when at operating temp.
3 liters at 60 F becomes slightly over 3.1 L at 220 F.
I know 100cc doesn't sound like much, but the way the engine and sight glass are constructed, that 100cc volume difference is VERY apparent on the sight glass.
If you don't believe me, fill to barely at the lower level, then add exactly 100cc oil and see where the level ends up.
Now, I don't believe for an instant that this increased volume from the expansion would cause any problems or damage, but it does show how it matters what procedure you follow when checking levels and comparing to how someone else checks their levels.

·
Administrator
20,104 Posts
If you can get that filter off then your sight glass level will be lower.

I install even the OEM filters HAND TIGHT and have for years with no leaks, yet.

I use one of the cap type filter wrenches above but the one that fits the OEM Suzuki filter will not fit the Emgo filters I am using so I got a Irwin/Vice Grip filter pliers just like these Irwin Tools 1773631 9-Inch Vise-Grip Oil Filter/PVC Pipe Pliers - Amazon.com

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I believe the 650 uses the same size filter as the Boulevard C50. I used to use some medium size channel locks to get the filter off. Might dent it up a little but it's going to be disposed off anyway. On the C50 forum, the standard advice was to ram a screwdriver through it and torque that puppy off. I always thought that was a little messy for the task at hand.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
When I get a different car, truck or motorcycle and don't have a filter wrench to fit it, the first thing I do is take a new filter to O'Reilly or other parts store and get a wrench that fits it. Different brand filters for the same vehicle sometimes takes a different wrench. My BMW used one wrench for the OEM filter and a different on for the Bosch filter.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
If you leave old filter you need add only 2.6 liter = 2.75 quart u.s. of oil.

If have new filter add 2.9 liter = 3.1 quart u.s. of oil.

Old mechanic friend use this with stuck oil filter.

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
If you leave old filter you need add only 2.6 liter = 2.75 quart u.s. of oil.

If have new filter add 2.9 liter = 3.1 quart u.s. of oil.

Old mechanic friend use this with stuck oil filter.
With a new filter, 3 quarts works fine.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well Cherie describes what I did. Now I know:) I will do an early oil change on 2000 mile mark since I had used synthetic oil. What is the WIX part number so I can order it. I have used WIX filters on other applications. I appreciate the help. This forum rocks!

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
The WIX part number is 51359.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts