Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I have seen a smaller oil drain plug to the left of the engine oil drain plug ( this one is positioned horizontally, and close to the Oil filter) as you are looking at the engine oil drain plug, and I was wondering what is it for. Does anyone know? I don't have a picture to show you guys :(

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Since you don't list you bike type in you profile it would help if you said which Burgman you are talking about, 650 or 400.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am sorry, I was multitasking (posted this at work whilst dealing with an IT crisis). I have a 2007 Burgman 650. :)

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I don't know of any bolts that screw in horizontally in that location. There is one that screws in vertically. I don't think it holds anything on. I could not find any reference to it in the service manual. It appears to just allow access to the oil gallery leading to the oil filter housing, possibly for cleaning when doing an overhaul. No reason to remove it when doing normal maintenance.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
I think that is the same bolt I am talking about. Maybe we have a different concept of horizontal and vertical. When I say vertical I am referring to the direction of the hole the bolt screws into. The head of the bolt would be facing the ground. It would be bolt #25 on this fiche. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_sect...ory=Scooters&make=SUZUKI&year=2006&fveh=10159

If you removed it you probably could drain the oil from the filter but you would get no more oil out than you would by just removing the filter. I generally follow the rule that if I can't get any guidance on what a bolt does I don't mess with it.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Just a guess, but it could be a casting plug. When an oil line takes a turn inside the case, the factory drills out one of the lines and then caps the end.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
These the only plug that need for remove when do oil change.

No other require remove.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Just thinking it's the place to screw in an adaptor to check the oil pressure with an external gauge. I haven't had to do that on a 650 so could be wrong but that's my guess.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yep I was reading the service manual this morning and you're right, that's where the oil pressure gauge connects.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Yep I was reading the service manual this morning and you're right, that's where the oil pressure gauge connects.
Which section and page of the manual is that.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Thanks, looked all through the engine section but didn't think to look for it there.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts