Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I changed my engine oil (2,600 mi) and transmission oil (5,200 mi) yesterday. It's the second time I've changed this 2006 AN650 since buying it exactly one year ago. The first time, I noticed when I removed the overflow plug that oil ran out of the transmission so I knew it was overfilled. I did some research on this forum and discovered that this is rather common - engine oil sometimes migrates to the transmission. I had no idea how much oil ran out the overflow so yesterday I decided to catch it to determine how much oil migrated in 5,200 miles (since last change of transmission oil). Well, I was surprised that it was a bit more than 200 ml (total trans capacity is 360ml). That means the transmission had almost double the oil as Suzuki recommends!

Is this an indication that there's internal trouble brewing? Note: I watch my engine oil level faithfully and have not had to add any engine oil at all. Any comments and suggestions are welcome.

·
Premium Member
14,249 Posts
Probably not. It just means oil is getting past the seal on the output shaft from the clutch to the transmission. That is not likely to cause any issues.

·
Registered
2,936 Posts
It's one of the AN650's quirks.

The high oil level makes the gears work as a brake, to such a degree that the top speed is affected by it.

Reminds me that it's about time for "bloodletting" the transmission again.

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Mine does it too............not a big deal

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Mine does it to a small degree. Not sure if it's using oil or if it's migrating but I barely over fill the engine oil and as I ride it it goes down to just where the full line is.

·
Registered
197 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Whew! Good news ... I was worried that something more serious was happening. I'll just let the overflow out when I change the engine oil each time. Thanks for the responses.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts