Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just did my first oil change and I filled it up with about 3.5 quarts of synthetic oil. The oil level at engine stop is full but when under power it goes down to just above the low level. Am I supposed to add more oil? I dont want to add too much. I already put more in than I think I was supposed to. Need quick input as I ride to work in the morning. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,479 Posts
Oil should be checked with the engine off and after there has been enough time for the oil to drain back into the pan{5-10 minutes}. So if it reads full when it is cold then it is full - do not add more!

If you have put in too much, simply drain some off.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
It's normal for the oil level to drop when the engine is running. The oil in the sump is circulating. If you rev the engine with the bike on the main stand the level should just about completely disappear. However, it sounds to me as if you are unsure on how to check the oil level. You must check the owners manual on how to do this and follow those instructions to the letter. Very important especially on the 400 if that's the bike you have.

·
Registered
1,536 Posts
I don't know about the 400 but with the 650 you put it on its main stand and, with the engine having been off for 10 minutes, crouch down to check the level in the sight-glass.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Yahooie, it would help folks answer your questions if you would open the User CP at the top of the page and update your profile to include your bike type. Wouldn't hurt to add your location also.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
Go down to the "Settings and Options" section and click on "Edit Avatar". Once you get to that screen use the browse button to select the picture from you computer and load it. There is a size limit so you will have to resize your picture to fit before you try to select it. From the page
Note: The maximum size of your custom image is 140 by 140 pixels or 58.6 KB (whichever is smaller).

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Big credit for checking the oil level when riding -- i can do it with the bike on centerstand only :p

·
Registered
75 Posts
FYI. I recently bought an old truck side mirror on Craig's List for $5. I attached it to the end of an old broomstick. There is a ball joint that lets me change the angle of the mirror at the end of the stick. Now I can stand next to my 650 and easily see the oil check window without killing myself.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Wow, and this man is even standing, i.e. gliding on asphalt while the bike runs. One needs proper shoes for that thou. :cool:

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts