Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My oil level light keeps going on and off while riding. My engine oil level is in spec (look through glass sight). Does this sensor also cover rear end oil or transmission oil?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
No, it only covers the engine oil.

Perhaps you have a faulty oil level sensor.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
It does that around the bottom of the sight glass. You are checking it on level ground on the centerstand right?

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
I've don't remember anyone posting of having a bad sensor but anything is possible.

As MJR mentioned, if you are running the oil level down close to the bottom of the glass then when you lean the bike through a corner the light will occasionally blink on because the oil moves away from the sensor. I've had that happen a couple of times when I've let the level get to low. If you have the oil level up near the top of the glass when checked on level ground on the center stand then the light should not be coming on.

I didn't think to ask if you are checking it with the bike on the side stand. If you are then you are probably running the bike with a low oil level. It needs to be on the center stand or held in a vertical upright orientation when you check the oil level.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My commute is almost entirely straight shot, without any significant leans. The light will come on and stay on for 10 minutes, then go back off. Then later back on.

I checked it before I left my house today. Level ground in the garage, center stand. The line was at the top of the sight glass, and I drained a little to make it at the "F" line (in case the light came on because of too much oil).

The same result happened today. The light came on and off throughout my 40 mile commute.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
I don't have a 650 or have the manual, but are you sure it's a level light and not a pressure light?
If it is a pressure light then the sensors do fail and there will be a connection somewhere to screw a gauge
into to check the pressure.

Just looked it as both, belt and braces "suspenders?" they did not want that running short of oil.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
HRDLEDR said:
My commute is almost entirely straight shot, without any significant leans. The light will come on and stay on for 10 minutes, then go back off. Then later back on.

I checked it before I left my house today. Level ground in the garage, center stand. The line was at the top of the sight glass, and I drained a little to make it at the "F" line (in case the light came on because of too much oil).

The same result happened today. The light came on and off throughout my 40 mile commute.
Sounds exactly like a wire shorting out, pinched wiring harness but sensor is possible too. You could disconnect the sensor and see if it still does it. The sensor in under the engine and the connector behind the maintenance cover between the footwell left side.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Sounds like a bad sensor or loose connection in the wire. The sensor is mounted on the right bottom of the engine behind the oil filter if you are looking in from the left side stand side. The wire on that end is made into the sensor and can't be unplugged. If you follow the wire up it ends in a plug on the left side of the bike that you can access by just pulling the engine access cover off. Make sure that plug is securely connected.

The sensor it's self is just a simple float. However to test it you have to remove it from the engine. It is just held on with two bolts but you will have to drain the engine oil before it can be tested. If your bike is still in warranty I would just take it to the dealer and let them do it.

The other thing that could be wrong is a problem in the instrument cluster that is letting the light come on when it shouldn't.

MJR said:
You could disconnect the sensor and see if it still does it.
According to the manual if you unplug the sensor the oil level indicator will stay on all the time.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
Ralph M said:
I don't have a 650 or have the manual, but are you sure it's a level light and not a pressure light?
If it is a pressure light then the sensors do fail and there will be a connection somewhere to screw a gauge
into to check the pressure.
That is another question to ask. I don't remember if the 2011 has the new style dash or not. On the early style dash the oil pressure indicator is on the right side and looks like an oil can, it lights up red. The oil level indicator is on the left of the speed numbers and is the words oil level in a digital display.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Buffalo said:
MJR said:
You could disconnect the sensor and see if it still does it.
According to the manual if you unplug the sensor the oil level indicator will stay on all the time.
Seems strange but that's what it says, lol.

·
Premium Member
14,227 Posts
MJR said:
Seems strange but that's what it says, lol.
Makes sense when you look at the test procedure which says it should have continuity when the float is in the position that indicates you have oil. That implies it has current going through it until the float drops to the low level. Unplugging it would also break continuity and make the indicator come on.

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The 2011 has an updated dash. The notification just has a drawing of a oil can and says "oil level". Doesnt say if it is high or low, just oil level. The bike was bought new in January, so it does have a warranty, I think it will end up there.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
HRDLEDR said:
The bike was bought new in January, so it does have a warranty, I think it will end up there.
Sounds like a plan but let us know what they find.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
Thanks for the info on the fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts