Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the past few days, my "Oil Level" idiot light comes on when 1) first starting [for about a minute], and 2) after riding and pulling into the driveway. Also, ocasionally when coming to a stop. Not while driving, only when stopped. I had the 600-mile service, I'm currently at 2,900 miles. Should I be concerned? Or am I ok as long as the light doesn't stay on.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Jim said:
Have you checked the oil level?

It may be Low
Not being mechanically inclined... no. I guess its time to pull out the manual and find out how to check the level!

·
Registered
368 Posts
put on center stand and look by the kick stand area for he oil visual inspection hole.

Easy to do.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
csachs1 said:
put on center stand and look by the kick stand area for he oil visual inspection hole.

Easy to do.
Just did that, you're right, it is easy! I'm not seeing any fluid in that window, just a clear window. Guess that means I'm really low. I went for a hard, 272-mile drive in steep mountain passes over the weekend... but that wouldn't cause this, would it?

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I know when I changed my fluids, and filled to the correct level, then ran it for a bit they were all low. This may have happened where it was serviced.
Riding long distances can cause some of this also. You are maybe about 1/2 Qt Low. Let us know how low it was.

·
Premium Member
11,296 Posts
Chuck

I do not have a 650 or a manual, but best to check.

Some bikes need you to start the engine, run for say 2 minutes and then observe the sight glass (I know the TMAX does for deffo).

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
NormanB said:
Chuck

I do not have a 650 or a manual, but best to check.

Some bikes need you to start the engine, run for say 2 minutes and then observe the sight glass (I know the TMAX does for deffo).
Yup, did that according to the manual: start the bike, let run until hot, shut off and check after three minutes. Still no sign of fluid in the window. Will add oil after work if I figure out how.

·
Registered
822 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Jim said:
I know when I changed my fluids, and filled to the correct level, then ran it for a bit they were all low. This may have happened where it was serviced.
Riding long distances can cause some of this also. You are maybe about 1/2 Qt Low. Let us know how low it was.
About 1/2 quart was what it took. Adding oil is incredibly easy!!

·
Super Moderator
8,067 Posts
I was checking all my fluid levels before I head out for a 6 day run. About 3 weeks ago I had to add about 1/4 qt to the engine. Checking every thing out today, I added about 1/8 qt ( the oil level was ok but I just wanted to top it off). Checking the Trans level, I took the overflow bolt off and about 1/2 Qt of oil came out. The bike runs and sounds fine, but here is the question.

Does the engine and Transmission share the same Oil?
If so what is the relationship between the 2?
Is it possible for some of the engine oil, to go into the transmission?

This would explain adding oil to the engine, and having the transmission too full. I'm not concerened about it just courious.
There is about 1,600 mile since the last oil change.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
Jim said:
Does the engine and Transmission share the same Oil?
If so what is the relationship between the 2?
Is it possible for some of the engine oil, to go into the transmission?
No. There are three totally separate oil reservoirs for the engine, transmission, and rear drive. That's on the 650. I think the AN400 has two oil compartments - not sure of that setup.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Question on checking the oil -

I did the routine running for 3 min and shut off and looking at the oil window but all I see is black.

So, I don't know if
1) it is low on oil or
2) there's too much oil in it.

The owners manual photo makes it look like you can see the oil level and actually see the oil line - is that what most of you see, the oil level line ?

Does it make a difference if it's on or off the center stand ? I've tried both and all I still see is black.

I've owned bikes for 30 years and, the dipstick has always been the way to go - at least you can see where the oil level is.

Thanks for the assist.

·
Premium Member
4,919 Posts
a new "built on a good day" car - with lots more oil in it would last 3 or 4 k miles (if not more....) but! --- some new cars only go 1200 miles before a quart is lost.

go figure.

·
Registered
5,363 Posts
You should let the oil settle for several minutes after turning the engine off. I always check it with the scooter on the center stand. You should definitely see the oil level line. If you don't, and your scooter is level (or even reasonably level), your oil is overfilled. Not a good thing if that is the case.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Paul

That's what I was afraid of. I didn't want to assume it was low on oil and start adding oil.

Guess it's time to steal my wife's turkey baster and get some of the oil out! LOL

Thanks

·
Registered
25 Posts
I use an easy trick for this problem.When inspecting oil level in the glass hole and I see nothing,with the bike on the floor and with a help of a friend,hi inclinates the bike to one side or to the other while I'm looking in the window level.Then I can see if the oil is coming from down(low level),or is coming from up(too much level).
Hope this can help you.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
Thanks. I did the flashlight thing but still all I got was black.
So now I'm sure I'm either way over or under.

I'm going to go buy a baster at lunch time and work on it tonght to get the oil level where it should be.

When I got it there werwe 1800 miles on it. Now it has about 2800. I really should have checked the oil level long before now. Once I finish with the oil, I've promised myself to check the tire pressure. LOL

1 - 20 of 22 Posts