Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had been cheap or lazy on my last three oil changes and did not replace the crush washers on the drain or fill plugs. Recently I started finding little puddles of oil under the bike when it had been parked for a few days. Shades of Harley Davidson!!

I was almost in a state of panic when, looking underneath, there was oil coating everything from the main oil drain back. I cleaned it of with Brakleen but the leak(s) continued. I couldn't see any particular source of the leaks though.:(

I decided on my last oil change a couple of weeks ago to replace all of the aluminum crush washers on both fill and drain plugs. The result is no more leaks.:p

I would advise anyone to replace all 6 crush washers when you do an oil change.;)

There doesn't seem to be an alternative source to a Suzuki dealer for the washers. McMaster Carr, for example, only carries one of the required sizes and local auto parts store have only copper and not the right sizes. The required inside diameter sizes are 11 mm, 13 mm, and 18 mm and two of each are required for replacing all drain and fill plugs for the crankcase, transmission and final drive.

These are the Suzuki part numbers for The 650 Exec: 09168-12002 (crankcase oil drain & trans fill plugs), 09168-14004 (trans drain & overflow plug), and 09168-18003 (rear drive drain & fill plugs).

·
Premium Member
14,257 Posts
Interesting. I've never changed the washers on mine and after 7 years and 30+ oil changes, no leaks. Luck of the draw I guess.

·
Registered
630 Posts
Suzuki OEM washers are special steel washers, not copper or aluminium, right? Maybe that's the key. Had my own share of drip leaks on the Burg, mainly the engine for some reason.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
I have 28K on the '03 and 23K on the '09, still using the original washers too.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Shades of Harley Davidson!!
I've owned a few Harleys in the past 30 years. While that old shovelhead did leak oil the last three I owned did not leak any oil. Other than the 1990 Fat Boy that had a transmission output shaft leak - it got fixed. Harley has been using o-rings for all engine mating surfaces and have had very good success with them. In that respect they are no different than any other motorcycle these days. Even Honda Yamaha Suzuki et al have had their oil leakers back in the day.

Why do you guys continue to disparage Harley Davidson?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts