Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For about the last 2 oil changes I have had oil seeping from the primary shaft cover. The factory maintenance manuel is not helpful in showing or talking about a seal the bolt and nut is tight to the feel but have not checked for the 46.5 ft. Lbs. of tork. Any ideas?

·
Registered
5,583 Posts
Oil leaks can be tricky to diagnose if you can't see the source.

Where exactly is the leak. Do you have a picture.

Not sure where the primary shaft cover is as I don't have my service manual with me
right now.

if the leak is by the rear wheel housing where it connects to the hub, there have been a few instances of leaky seals inside the hub.

good luck

·
Premium Member
14,260 Posts
Are you talking about the small round cover over the primary pulley shaft adapter bolt? If so any oil leaking there would not be coming from the primary adapter bolt and tightening it would not help.

The adapter is driven by the primary gear which is driven from the crankshaft. There is a seal on either side of the primary gear that keeps engine oil from leaking out. See this fiche. http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp

Oil leaking in this area is likely coming from one of those seals. The manual only talks about them in the engine rebuild section and from what I can tell it looks like you have to install them from the inside of the crankcase. That means pulling the engine and splitting the cases.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Buffalo. That is where the oil is coming from. Since I lose about 2 oz in 4500 miles I will just let it go til I trade it off.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts