Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I had my oil changed just recently by a mechanic. I basically had them tear the bike apart and go over it with a fine tooth comb, other than the transmission issue I have the bike is in great shape.

Not that it should matter but they also recently put a new tire on for me.

A few weeks ago the temp dropped overnight and in the morning there was a small puddle of oil under the bike. I was concerned and kept an eye on it, after refilling the oil some. Nothing, nada, zip. I checked the oil again and no difference in levels as well.

Last night the temp dropped again, into the twenty's and again this morning. Oil was found under the bike. I put oil in it again.

I am thinking that the cold weather affected a seal and made the bike lose oil (I live in Florida and keep the bike under a carport). Any one else have this issue? Should I be a lot more concerned than I am?

·
I'm Retired
9,364 Posts
Your temperatures dipping in Florida are the highs I probably get in Seattle. So I doubt the "cold" is causing an issue.

Where's the leak coming from? Use an inspection mirror and flashlight to do some looking. Oil, like water, flows downhill, so find the source and that'll tell you what the issue is and if it is worth digging into further.

Also, how much oil is dripping?

Chris

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Houndguy said:
I had my oil changed just recently by a mechanic. I basically had them tear the bike apart and go over it with a fine tooth comb, other than the transmission issue I have the bike is in great shape.

Not that it should matter but they also recently put a new tire on for me.

A few weeks ago the temp dropped overnight and in the morning there was a small puddle of oil under the bike. I was concerned and kept an eye on it, after refilling the oil some. Nothing, nada, zip. I checked the oil again and no difference in levels as well.

Last night the temp dropped again, into the twenty's and again this morning. Oil was found under the bike. I put oil in it again.

I am thinking that the cold weather affected a seal and made the bike lose oil (I live in Florida and keep the bike under a carport). Any one else have this issue? Should I be a lot more concerned than I am?
"into the twenty's"? In Tampa? I don't think so unless you are reporting in "the twenties" Celsius; but that is 68°F, far from cold...

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Low tonight of 37 F. I've seen it drop lower than that, although generally it's only for a day or so tops and back into the lower 50 and upper 40's. The record low for where I live is 18 F.

Cold snaps, well not that long lasting, can be common here, I am wondering it that affected the seals.

As far as the amount of oil, it's maybe a couple of ounces? I know when I filled up the bike I put enough in to bring the level back to the "full" line on the glass...but it didn't seem to take that much oil to do it.

·
Registered
2,787 Posts
Wow, the coldest it has been here in Saint Augustine (I live 3 miles South of the city) in 20+ years was 28°F--that was 4 or 5 years ago and only for a couple hours right around dawn--it was 53°F last night...

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
I just looked at my thermometer to see last nights low and it is now 52*F so that means it was warmer last night as I did not reset it yet. I usually reset it when I go to bed.I find it odd that it could have been into the twenties in Tampa last night when it was in the fifties hear in St. Pete.? :?: Fox news just said last night's low was 53* in Tampa with a low tonight of 45*. :?:

·
Premium Member
8,120 Posts
20 ,50 same thing, if it gets below 72 it's cold, now we can't fix weather but oil maybe, where under the bike , and a better idea of how much oil,over how many hours, check before night time , let it sit, then check again in the morning , check under the air filter too (open and remove filter, look in box) check the 3 screws holding on the oil filter cover

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
You need to see if you can find were its coming from, could it be coming from
the sump plug or filter housing?

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
model28a said:
I just looked at my thermometer to see last nights low and it is now 52*F so that means it was warmer last night as I did not reset it yet. I usually reset it when I go to bed.I find it odd that it could have been into the twenties in Tampa last night when it was in the fifties hear in St. Pete.? :?: Fox news just said last night's low was 53* in Tampa with a low tonight of 45*. :?:

As of 9 AM EST today, weather.com was reporting a temp of 47 F here in Zephyrhills (about an hour north of Tampa - I use Tampa since it's the major city closest to me). My question however is still a valid one...can lower temperatures affect the seals on a 400?

I checked the oil just a moment ago and did not see any oil under it. However I don't know how cold it was over night either.

In the 15 minutes or so it took me to type this note, check the oil and do a little research the temp went up to 51 degrees. That was according to weather.com

·
Registered
338 Posts
I would first take it back to the people who did the work.

FL is not cold----weather should not be causing any drips

OR have somebody elso look at it (real Suzuki shop?) OR Gunk or wash down engine with diesel----spray off---ride/park and you should see where oil is coming from---easiest to see drain plug/filter O RING---OR just oil spill that was wiped off in previous work.

Learn to do stuff yourself-----I find many shops can screw things up more than they help. Right now I recommend Suzuki shop in Dalton GA--real pros in the shop and they have lots of Burgman experience.

·
Registered
1,177 Posts
Mine regularly in winter as to stand 14*F and sometimes less, it's not been above 42*f for a few days
don't have any problem, and would not expect any.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts