Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2009 - Sorry for an oil question. Can anyone say how much oil it takes to begin to show up in sight glass (oil change not replacing filter)? I am pouring from 2 already opened qt bottles and must not have figured correctly.

thanks

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
About 1.1 l you should be able to see it on the centerstand.

·
Registered
3,142 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I saw that previously but seems like on last change w/ filter I was able to see sight glass begin to fill just after 1 qt. This time w/ no filter I don't but as stated I may be off because using oil from 2 opened bottles.

Maybe someone else can chime in.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Westnash, take care with the quantities. If you drain the bike on the centre stand on completely level ground with the engine slightly warm you will get up to 1.485 litres of oil drain out of the sump. The engine only holds 1.5litres and normally according to the manual you only need that amount after an overhaul. But this happens if you have a higher suspension number set on the rear suspension. If your suspension is set to a low number, it will be slightly less. I drained mine last week and got the above 1.485litres out including what came out with the filter (almost nothing). I measured it. My suspension is set to 5. I put back the same amount with new filter, checked it and it was spot on of course. I've noticed the Suzuki oil quantities in the manual for oil changes are usually way off, but it does depend on the suspension setting as this alters the position the engine hangs in and the amount of oil that drains out. Just to say don't go by the Suzuki figures, they are only a very rough guide. If you do a filter and oil change they suggest it's 1.3litres. It nearly always requires much more than that, but you have to check to be sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for that. I didn't measure what came out but that is a good idea. I am on the centerstand and think I don't see any in the sight glass yet because I haven't put enough back in. I was a bit suspicious of the amount in the manual.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
yeah, sounds like you know to be careful. If the level is at the bottom line in the site glass, it doesn't take much to get it up to the full mark. Just go over the full mark if you have done the filter as well. Once started it will come back down inbetween the lines on the site glass ready for you to check.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I don't know exactly how much I ended up with but put in a small amount at a time until it came up. It took more than 1.1 qt to show up and more like 1.3.

I am uncertain what suspension settings would have to do with it.

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Mechanic
The engine only holds 1.5litres and normally according to the manual you only need that amount after an overhaul. But this happens if you have a higher suspension number set on the rear suspension.

Please explain.
He goes on to explain toward the end.

but it does depend on the suspension setting as this alters the position the engine hangs in and the amount of oil that drains out.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quantum Mechanic
The engine only holds 1.5litres and normally according to the manual you only need that amount after an overhaul. But this happens if you have a higher suspension number set on the rear suspension.

He goes on to explain toward the end.
Ok, maybe you can answer it then....how does adjusting preload alter the way the engine sits? And why should it affect the oil level when checked?

·
Registered
69 Posts
Westnash, take care with the quantities. If you drain the bike on the centre stand on completely level ground with the engine slightly warm you will get up to 1.485 litres of oil drain out of the sump. The engine only holds 1.5litres and normally according to the manual you only need that amount after an overhaul. But this happens if you have a higher suspension number set on the rear suspension. If your suspension is set to a low number, it will be slightly less. I drained mine last week and got the above 1.485litres out including what came out with the filter (almost nothing). I measured it. My suspension is set to 5. I put back the same amount with new filter, checked it and it was spot on of course. I've noticed the Suzuki oil quantities in the manual for oil changes are usually way off, but it does depend on the suspension setting as this alters the position the engine hangs in and the amount of oil that drains out. Just to say don't go by the Suzuki figures, they are only a very rough guide. If you do a filter and oil change they suggest it's 1.3litres. It nearly always requires much more than that, but you have to check to be sure.
The reason you're getting almost 1.5L of oil from the engine is probably because thats how much you put in previously. I have seen oil change capacities everywhere from 1.1L to 1.3L but never 1.5. Must be your high suspension setting.:rolleyes:

·
Registered
31 Posts
Hello,

I am wandering, is it normal after starting the bike that the oil completely disappear from the glass viewer? when I turn it off it goes above at the full line. I noticed this today after my first diy oil change.
I initially ended up putting up to 1.5L and then I just assumed it is normal with the bike ON to have nothing on the viewer. The oil was well above F with the bike off and after reading here that it is no good to have too much oil, I removed the excess. I probably put around 1.3L (after the removal), and I did a filter replacement also.

Now with bike off, I am back at F line.

btw, to remove the excess oil I used http://www.walmart.com/ip/FloTool-Gas-and-Chemical-MixMizer/16889145
The syringe is 60ml (I will use it also for drive train oil change) and comes with a 4 inch hose, which served me perfectly to get the extra oil out without re-opening the drain plug.

In summary, with bike running on center stand, should the oil be visible on the glass viewer?

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
The oil is in circulation and out of sump -- the glass can be empty. However a proper level should be observed when engines not running.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
That startled me too, but it is NORMAL for the sight glass to be empty while the motor is running.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Part of the problem may also be Q & L. Americans are using quarts and others probably using litres. I started out with 2 already opened quart bottles so wasn't totally sure how much I used.

I will get the level to the F line on sight glass on centerstand as in previous changes and have not really seen it drop during the time till the next change. Same as in every other sight glass motorcycle I have had.

How much was the cost of the Wal Mart syringe? Should be good for the final drive change.

·
Registered
1,056 Posts
How much was the cost of the Wal Mart syringe? Should be good for the final drive change.
That's exactly what I use mine for. I see on the Walmert link it's about $13. I use a 60 ml/2 oz irrigation syringe I got for a couple of bucks at a local medical supply. They don't come with tubing but, that is easy to solve. For that matter, the same medical supply places would have catheters which, fit the ends of these syringes perfectly...just clip off the end. Just specify a straight cath in a 16, 18 or 20 French (those are sizes). There are red rubber ones which, are very flexible or, silicone ones which, are clear and stiffer.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
When they said Zuki admits of using 1 l (1.06 US quart) of oil per 1000 miles i stopped surprising at anything in this world for a moment. That means you can not plan even a short trip without a spare gallon of 10w-30 :D

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
That may be for the earlier generation. Mine used none from the last change and did everything from city to interstate in the time period.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts