Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been trying to do some research on head about how to fix the oil getting in the airbox. Don't know if anyone that has more experience could post how to fix it? I know I need a fuel filter and hose. But, where to connect what idk. Also, would drilling holes in the airbox reduce the pressure in there to stop it sucking oil?

·
Registered
2,832 Posts
" drilling holes " Don't Do That!!!!

There is a Breather Tube that Connects from the engine to the Airbox, Mostly Hot Oil Steam, Silt flow!! the Problem may be that you might have to Much Oil in the Crank Case!! Check Levels...

Elliott,

·
Registered
52 Posts
There was a long discussion on this subject a number of years ago. There was one fix that was posted and got a lot of attention, but in my opinion a poor solution. The problem stems from a big piston pumping pressure into a small crankcase thus blowing small amounts of oil into the bottom of the air box. Over time, the small amounts of oil add up to enough oil loss to cause problems for the engine. I have spoken to several motorcycle tech who said that there are several inline fours that have the same problem. We came up with a solution, but I want to do more testing before making a post about it. I think a lot of people sold their pre 2007 for the newer models because of this and some features of the 2007+ scoots.

The best solution is to keep an eye on the oil level and not to exceed 6,000rpm. My 400 does not use oil, even if I run it down the highway for long periods (as in day after day) but the thought is always on my mind.

·
Registered
425 Posts
I agree with gaz. Mine is a 2004 and I try not to exceed 6500 rpm's so as to not vaporize engine oil

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
that is one of the reasons I did so much work to get the Dr. Pulley sliders to work. Im able to go 75 indicated and not hit 6 thousand rpm. now, how would i check to see if there is too much final drive oil?

·
Registered
425 Posts
If it leaks, there is too much oil. If it doesn't leak, you are fine

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
so, just crack the top fill bolt and let it drain?
The top fill hole in the final drive is also the oil level hole. With the bike on the center stand on level ground. Remove the plug and check that the oil level is to the bottom of the hole. If it is higher than that let it drain out the filler hole until it stops running. If it is lower than that add oil to bring the level up.

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Ok. I'll try it. See where that gets me. Now, after I do that, what a about the mod to add a fuel filter or something to the airbox? Read it on here but just don't know how to go about it.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
Ok. Because, when I put it in, I measured the oil exactly with a syringe.
Yep, if you measured it exactly with a syringe to be 180ml it's ok. If you crack open the nut for final drive oil on a new bike, it never runs out. Suzuki say it should be just below the fill hole, not flowing out. But, the easiest way to do it is to just fill until it flows out. Any excess comes out the breather. It won't do any harm. Many manuals say to fill until it just flows out then wait a few minutes for the flow to stop then seal. But you are right, 180ml for oil change if measured exactly won't flow out but that's ok.

PS. Just noticed yours is the earlier model Burgman. I don't know for sure what the amount of oil is on that bike. I'm referring to the 2007+ models in this post. It may be the same for your though, but best check or just fill to the level plug.

·
Registered
317 Posts
I am confused. I thought the original post was about engine oil. But seems the conversation is now about final drive oil? Am I missing something? Help! LOL

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well, main question was what mod needs to be done to keep oil out of the airbox.

·
Registered
3,933 Posts
I think the answer you are looking for is any gas filter that will fit in the space where that tube goes. The idea is to catch/restrict the oil before it gets to the air box and the hole was to compensate for pressure such restriction my cause.
I too was not happy with that solution and have not attempted it either.
I do restrict my runs over 6500 rpm and have not had a problem but I also check my oil level religiously at all gas stops Justin Case. :cool:

·
Registered
175 Posts
Some engines are sensitive to how much oil is in the crankcase. If I fill my Guzzi Norge to the full mark on the engine dipstick I will get all kinds of oil in the air box. But if I fill the oil level to just below midway on the dipstick then no oil gets in the air box.

There are also devices called catch cans. These attach to the crankcase vent hose and collect the oil that is in the crankcase blow-by gases before they enter the air box. If you do a search on eBay for "catch can" you will see all kinds of sizes and prices.

Sometimes a lot of blow-by is a symptom of other problems. I had a Ural once that I bought new in 2005 and it would spit out all kinds of blow-by, so much that the air filter would get soaked with oil. After doing a compression test I discovered the left side cylinder compression pressure was much less than the right side. When I pulled the left side cylinder off I discovered the moron at the factory who installed the piston rings managed to break the top ring and crush the top of the piston. Once the parts were replaced, all was well and very little blow-by came out of the engine so very little oil as well.

If it was me I would start with the easiest thing first which would be the engine oil level. See if you get the same or less oil in the air box if the engine oil level is lowered to the low mark on the window or dipstick.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
If it was me I would start with the easiest thing first which would be the engine oil level. See if you get the same or less oil in the air box if the engine oil level is lowered to the low mark on the window or dipstick.
On the early model 400s lowering the oil level does not help you. It will keep loosing oil until it does not have enough. Several folks have ruined engines on the early 400s because they were doing a lot of high speed highway riding and not keeping a check on the oil level. It's a known problem with the design of the breather system and as far as I know a completely successful fix has never been posted on here.

Funny thing is not all of them do it. My 06 400 does not. When we compared the crankcase breather system on mine to the one on a friends 400 that does do it we could not find anything different.

·
Premium Member
3,008 Posts
Funny thing is not all of them do it. My 06 400 does not. When we compared the crankcase breather system on mine to the one on a friends 400 that does do it we could not find anything different.
I think how clean you keep your air filter has some impact on the amount of oil sucked out of the engine. When the air filter is clogged and the engine is sucking air, I would expect a greater vacuum on the crankcase venting system if air coming thru the air filter is restricted. I also did not experience any significant oil lost with my pre-07 400s. I expect you are like me, and you keep your air filter cleaned.

·
Premium Member
14,278 Posts
To be honest I'm not all that careful to clean the filter. I don't clean it every 1800 miles as the manual calls for anyway. I clean it when I change the oil at 4000 mile intervals.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts