Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Should I use regular or synthetic oil for my first oil change at 600 miles? I was thinking regular oil until 3,000 miles just to be safe then switch to synthetic oil.

Amazon.com has an oil change kit for the Burg 400. I know there is no wet clutch issue on the 400 but should I stick with regular oil just to be safe?

Mitch uses Synthetic oil on his youtube video but his Burg has a lot of miles on it.

Any particular brand of oil? 10W-40?

Thanks.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
I would stay away from synthetic at least for the first 6'000 miles. Not the best choice for running the engine in.

Usually no talk about brands :D 10W-40 grade is recommended.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I use a good quality 10W40. SuperTech from Walmart is doing well for me.
Just whatever is on sale, no wet clutch in the Burgie 400' so anything will work

·
Registered
55 Posts
I did several oil changes with mineral oil then switched to synthetic at the 600 mile mark. I sure it slowed the breakin down, but I knew that would happen. When I switched I went to a synthetic with ester base oil. Yamalube 10-40 is was the least expensive at the cycle shop. I run it in all my bikes and ATVs.

·
Registered
511 Posts
I bought my '09 400 w/ about 3600 miles on the clock, and promptly changed over to Amsoil synthetic 10-40. I run syn. in everything, including three diesels.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
As Bolzen said. Get the rings and bearings good and seated, then synthetic.

Thank you. Amazon.com has a Burgman 400 Oil Change kit with "Suzuki" oil and filter for $26.99 . Amazon.com has the filters for $4.99. I'll just buy the filter (free shipping) and get the oil at Walmart. I'll also need a torque wrench.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Thank you. Amazon.com has a Burgman 400 Oil Change kit with "Suzuki" oil and filter for $26.99 . Amazon.com has the filters for $4.99. I'll just buy the filter (free shipping) and get the oil at Walmart. I'll also need a torque wrench.
Go ahead and get 2 or 3 filters.
Yes, you do need a torque wrench :cool:

·
Registered
137 Posts
In your 600 miles, your engine will turn at least 3 million revolutions. Quite a few premium cars come from the factory with synthetic oil, and have no problems with rings seating or other issues. Makes no sense to wait before switching to a full synthetic.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In your 600 miles, your engine will turn at least 3 million revolutions. Quite a few premium cars come from the factory with synthetic oil, and have no problems with rings seating or other issues. Makes no sense to wait before switching to a full synthetic.

Why not just use regular oil and change it at 3,000 miles to synthetic? I'm doing the work myself so an oil change won't cost much. At 3,000 miles engine break-in is guaranteed.

·
Registered
4,083 Posts
First oil change (Delo 15W-40) - 49 miles
Second oil change (W-M 10W-40) - 684 miles
Third oil change (Rotella 5W-40) - 1,596 miles

Now once a year (if not touring). If touring, before and as soon as I get back.

·
Registered
1,545 Posts
In the Burgman 400, as Bolsen says, don't use fully syn until you have at least 6k on the clock. It takes that long for engine conforming to finish. Use it too soon and the engine may use some oil.

You cannot make comparisons betweem engines, car or motorcycle relating to the use of fully syn or semi syn oil. Some use it early after first service. Some come with it in from new. Other engines cannot use it early due to running in issues that it will cause. So there are reasons for that. It is mostly, although not entirely due to the type of cylinder honing that is used when the engine is manufacturered. In addition, the type of materials used for the cylinder walls, rings and piston makes a difference.

To reduce running in time, manufacturers often use 'plato honing' of the cylinder bores to enable the engine to be run fairly normally from new without the need for too much care being used. There are differing levels of plato honing. Some plato honing is barely noticeable and needs care when running in. Other processes concerning plato honing are very noticeable and can allow the engine to run hard with fully syn oil in from early on or from new. The Burgman cannot use fully syn from new or from early miles otherwise it doesn't run in correctly.

·
Registered
3,396 Posts
Probably you should have bought one at once

1 - 15 of 15 Posts