Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey I'm little confused on what is the best oil to use for Burgman 650 for warm humid climate, as in Florida

·
Registered
1,204 Posts
Hey I'm little confused on what is the best oil to use for Burgman 650 for warm humid climate, as in Florida
There is different opinions as what is best. Any oil that meets specifications and changed regularly will do nicely. I have not heard of an engine failure in a 650 since something else breaks first. Just make sure it is JASO-MA. Rotella meets the specifications in either conventional or synthetic. Amzoil and Mobil 1 have oils that meet the specifications (make sure it is the right one).

In another forum, a knowledgeable had a good answer when someone asked him about oil. He said "Oil is better than no oil and clean oil is better than dirty oil".

I use 3 quarts of oil when I change the filter and a little less when I don't.

·
Premium Member
14,258 Posts
As osbornk said, any good brand of oil will do just make sure it is safe for wet clutches which is what the JASO-MA rating tells you. For use in hot climates you probably want a multi grade oil that is 40 weigh on the top end. Suzuki recommends a 10W-40.

I use Rotella 15W-40 in my 650 and it holds up well in our hot Texas summers.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts

Me use Shell Rotella Triple Protection 15W40 with JASO-MA approve, also use EMGO 10-55660 oil filter. Change every 3500 - 4000 mile approx. depending where next long ride fall between 3500-4000. Change oil and new filter each time.

Oil change only ------------------2.7 U.S. Quart

Oil change with new filter ------3.1 U.S. Quart

This info. in your owner manual.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Someone on the forum had a warning from their dealer service people not to overfill the engine oil. Mine was slightly over the F mark on the sight glass but I didn't notice any problems (such as foaming). After 4-5 tablespoons migrated from the engine sump to the reduction gear case ("transmission"), it was exactly at the F mark. When I changed it last weekend, I set the level about halfway up the sight glass. Be sure to check it on level ground with the bike on the center stand. Enjoy that 650!

·
Premium Member
647 Posts
I have just switched from Rotella T6 to this - i know its yamaha oil :) - but its a good price and if you buy 3 gallons - you get free shipping too - No real reason but price since i change my oil every 4k anyway - didnt really feel the need for Synthetic

It is JASO-MA and is 20w-50 which i know may not work on you guys in the frozen north

http://www.motosport.com/motorcycle/YAMALUBE-20W50-ALL-PURPOSE-OIL-1-GALLON

·
Registered
753 Posts
Is delo 400 JASON-MA ?
I think you mean "JASMO" not "JASON", am I right?

I have a gallon jug of it sitting at my feet that I just got out of the garage. Not Jasmo but no "starburst" logo either. Lots of my fellow Goldwing owners swear by the stuff. I personally know one fellow that has over 400,000 miles on his twenty year old GL1500 and it runs great. Engine has never been into.

I bought it to run in my own Wing but since I am riding my Burgman more now than I am the GL1800 I am going to use it in my scooter next oil change.

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Actually it JASO-MA

JASO = Japanese Automotive Standards Organization

MA rating = appropriate for wet clutch operations in Japanese bike.

·
Registered
753 Posts
Actually it JASO-MA

JASO = Japanese Automotive Standards Organization

MA rating = appropriate for wet clutch operations in Japanese bike.
Yeah, that's right. A few of us just use the "JASMO" to mean that it is safe for wet clutches as well. Just a habit of that I need to break I guess.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Well I guess I could add my $.02 to the mass confusion of what oil to use! I use
Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40 in almost every internal combustion engine I own. The 5w is the cold weight, which in theory is easier flowing than 10w so it would put less drag on your starter. Also a little bit easier to pull start. I use it in my Burger650, crankcase and CVT, snowblower, Husqvarna mower with Kohler, Honda mower, power washer, and I used to run it in the big diesel engines in my Class VIII trucks. In big diesel (Cummins) engine I went from a monthly fuel average of 6.25mpg to 6.75mpg.. That is an 8% increase. That would be like 45mpg to 48.6mpg. As you can see I like Shell Rotella Syn..

Note: No Burgmans, or other internal combustion engines have been harmed in these tests!

·
Premium Member
6,179 Posts
Well I guess I could add my $.02 to the mass confusion of what oil to use! I use
Shell Rotella Synthetic 5w40 in almost every internal combustion engine I own. The 5w is the cold weight, which in theory is easier flowing than 10w so it would put less drag on your starter. Also a little bit easier to pull start. I use it in my Burger650, crankcase and CVT, snowblower, Husqvarna mower with Kohler, Honda mower, power washer, and I used to run it in the big diesel engines in my Class VIII trucks. In big diesel (Cummins) engine I went from a monthly fuel average of 6.25mpg to 6.75mpg.. That is an 8% increase. That would be like 45mpg to 48.6mpg. As you can see I like Shell Rotella Syn..

Note: No Burgmans, or other internal combustion engines have been harmed in these tests!
Run the same thing in my 650 and 2013 F-350. Went cheap on one oil change on the Ford & noticed a drop in mpg. Not going to do that again. ;)

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Yeah, that's right. A few of us just use the "JASMO" to mean that it is safe for wet clutches as well. Just a habit of that I need to break I guess.

Sorry not realise JASMO be acronym.

·
Registered
3,973 Posts
As everyone else said just make sure it's JASO-MA rated. When I bought my first Burgman in '03 it was before the automotive oils went to energy saving additives that aren't kind to wet clutches. I have run Valveoline motorcycle 10W40 or now I tend to like the slightly thicker Rotella T 15W40 oil I get from work that's used in most diesel trucks. The engine just seems a bit quieter with the 15W40.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I agree with MJR that my scoot seems to run a little quieter since I switched to Rotella T 15W40 , but then again the oil is fresh and clean now. We will see how it sounds after a few miles.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts