Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to change the oil in my 650 and have a few questions.
1st: Are there any oil filters available except the Suzuki one?
2nd: What is with the "two full turns after the gasket comes in contact, etc."? In all my years of changing oil, almost all the filter instructions say to hand tighten and then go no more than a half turn further, cautioning about tightening too much. I don't think those two instructions quite match, but maybe they do?
3rd: Has anyone discovered a filter wrench that fits the 650 filter, other than the one Suzuki sells?

Jerry in FL

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Jerry

Fram PH6018A is one. The Super Tech filter line from Wally World is top rated. Don't know the number for cross reference. Many Goldwingers use the Super Tech. Made by Champion I believe.

I'm with you ...Hand Tight plus a half to three quarter.

Bill

·
Premium Member
383 Posts
This may sound strange, but I don't find any reference to a Fram PH6018A anywhere on the web. I went to the Fram site and tried entering the number every which way, "no matching results."

Is it so new that Fram doesn't know they make it yet?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I found the same thing, Bill. What's going on...where are you getting your information? A search for Super Tech also gave no results.

Jerry

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Went and looked myself...had my boy look yesterday...Fram PH6018 is on my Burger King...The "A" was apparently his addition as in the Canadian "eh" that I mistook for the part number.

Sorry for the confusion :oops: :oops:

Super Tech is a private label line of automotive products for Wal Mart. I have not had a chance to check if they carry a compatible filter for the Burger King, I have not had to change its oil this year yet. I use this line on my Goldwing.

Bill

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, Bill
Now that one was easy to find on the Web (but not in my local WalMart) However, I didn't see anywhere specifically mentioning it fits the Burgman 650, although it said that it fits "most" Suzuki motorcycles. I had already went to Nature Coast Motorsports online and bought the Suzuki filter for $9.48 and the Suzuki Oil filter wrench for $4.47. 'Course, they stick on a shipping charge that is more than the filter. Hard to win, isn't it?

Jerry

·
Registered
201 Posts
Here's a list of filters as posted by member "Fred":

Suzuki #16510-34E00 $9
http://www.ronayers.com/main.cfm

Other filters that fit:
These Oil Filters
have 20 x 1mm threads,
11 psi by-pass valve,
anti-drain back valve. Available filters include:
Fram # PH6018
NAPA Gold 1359
AMSOil SMF 109
EMGO 10-55660
Hi-Flo HF138
K&N 138
NAPA 1359
Purolator ML16818
STP SMO-18
VESRAH Sf-3007
WIX 51359
Suzuki OEM: 16510-34E00
K&N Oil Filters
http://www.proformanceusa.com/mall/kn_oil_filters.asp

Hope this info helps. :D

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey, Fred!
Now that is a list! Thanks a lot. Your Post will go into my Burgman650 files for future reference. And to think, Suzuki strongly warns against using any filter but the one they offer. My next one will be the Amsoil, as I like their products.
Thanks again, Jerry

·
Registered
532 Posts
Jerry wrote in part, "... My next one (oil filter) will be the Amsoil, as I like their products."
Any idea which company or companies supply AMSOIL filters?

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sure thing...just go to http://www.amsoil.com/ If you don't feel comfortable ordering over the Net, they'll also have a list of Dealers.

·
Registered
532 Posts
cyclechamp1982 said:
Sure thing...just go to http://www.amsoil.com/ If you don't feel comfortable ordering over the Net, they'll also have a list of Dealers.
I understand that AMSOIL "sells" filters carrying their brand but I wonder who makes them? There are a few filter manufacturers and many brands. Often the exact same filter, except perhaps for the color of the can carries several different brand names at a wide variety of prices.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I don't know the answer to that one...
Seems like a question for Amsoil. Maybe they have a "contact us" on the website.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Oil Filters

I'm a relatively new rider with a 2-month-old 650. I was absolutely hosed by my local dealer on initial service charge (the least of which was the $15+ charge for the Suzuki filter). Now I'm ready to do future oil changes on my own and I've been researching the substitutes to Suzuki's filter.

One article said never use Fram on any engine you would like to keep -- something about the higher possibility of the cardboard tips of the paper filter breaking down and moving into the engine with the accompanying quote "This would not be a good thing."

I ran across a site for ULTRAFILTER, somewhat pricey in the $100 range, but guaranteed for a lifetime -- no more filters to buy. You clean the stainless steel insert at oil changes. They boast high flow rates and significantly higher than standard filtration levels. Add to that, far less frequent oil changes, particularly with synthetic oil.

Before I jump right in there with something that looks too good to be true, I was curious if any of fellow Burgman riders could provide any informed input about this filter.

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Don't put any filter in your Burgman during the warranty period except Suzuki ones, IMHO.

I'm not sure I totally buy everything reported on in that oil filter article. While it may be true that Fram oil filters have a cardboard end cap, the overall quality of their filters meets and exceeds factory OEM standards.
And Fram oil filters have been around for decades- they must sell by the millions. If there was any risk to the motors that use these filters, Allied Signal (Fram's owner, IIRC) would have been bankrupted by damage claims by now. I've run Fram filters in many cars over the years with no damage at all.

As for Amsoil, I run their synthetic MC oil in my Burgman. They have a reputation at stake, and regardless of them making their own filters, or sub contracting them, I doubt they'd risk their reputation and image on sub par merchandise. I'd trust their filters without hesitation.

I dont' have much experience with things like lifetime oil filters, and even though the product may be fine, and may even be superior, I'll personally stick to at least Suzuki's brand. I spend $30 just on 4 quarts of oil when I do oil changes, another $8 or $10 for a filter isn't a big deal to me.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Amsoil Oil Filter

Amsoil does make a filter for the Burgman 650...SMF 109. I am convinced that Amsoil makes top products. You might want to Google for more information.

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
MY .02...

At least while you are on warranty, be sure to have a Suzuki oil filter on your burg in case of claims.

The way I look at it, the cost for the few times per year I change the oil, multiplied by the DIFFERENCE in cost of filters, is way less than I would spend on a small pizza.

Not worth the hassle. :)

·
Registered
532 Posts
lilleyen said:
MY .02...

At least while you are on warranty, be sure to have a Suzuki oil filter on your burg in case of claims.

The way I look at it, the cost for the few times per year I change the oil, multiplied by the DIFFERENCE in cost of filters, is way less than I would spend on a small pizza.

Not worth the hassle. :)
I agree with respect to the cost diferential as well as the hassle factor. On the other hand, Suzuki would have to prove, in the case of a warranty claim that the failure was related to the brand of filter of the oil that was used. Toyota lost a case of this nature 15 or so years ago. As I recall, the court ruled that if Toyota required a specific filter (or whatever the service part in question), the company had to provide the part at no cost to the customer.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I've seen two part numbers for the Suzuki oil filter. Which one is correct?

SUZUKI Part - 16510-06B01
Suzuki OEM: 16510-34E00

·
Registered
4,517 Posts
Both are ok. From what I can tell the current part number for the oil filter that is for the Burgman 650 is 16510-03g00-X07.

Sometimes part numbers change. Your dealer should be able to help you out on that.

·
Registered
636 Posts
I don't know about you guys, but I have NEVER used a wrench to tighten an oil filter. I hand tighten only, and they never leak. They're also easier to get off come oil change time.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts