Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,143 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
It's bad if it a. leaks, b. blows up, c. filter element disintegrates and all the tiny pieces jam up the engine oil passages and the engine seizes. Is this a trick question?

·
Super Moderator
2,328 Posts
Kinda waiting on the punch line...If you're serious it's a bit tough to tell since, unless it's a fram or completely clogged, in which case your bike just blew it's motor, there's a bypass valve built in to let the oil flow even if the filtration ain't working. The only way to really check for that would be to remove, & likely disassemble it, so the question's a bit moot.
If you think it's bad..replace it. If it's been through more than one oil change..replace it. I recommend an aftermarket one with the bolt on top, the HF138RC. Seems to filter OK and loads easier to remove.

·
Administrator
18,387 Posts
Burgmanking1, welcome to the forums.

Your question is a very hard one to answer.
Like said above,
  1. If it looks damaged, replace it.
  2. If it has been on for 1 year, replace it.
  3. If the oil was changed, its a 2 oil change to 1 filter so replace it.
  4. If you are uncertain its ever been changed, replace it.

Reactions: maccecht

·
Registered
29 Posts
For my low mileage local driving I plan on oil and filter change every spring. I believe a cold storaged MC will accumulate moisture in its oil over the winter. This worked well for my other MC's.

On our garden tractors the third filter is the last one unless it shows signs of rust. But I swap out the Rotella at regular intervals.

·
Registered
1,587 Posts
Welcome to the forum @BURGMANKING1 , Are you any relation to @BURGMANKING! ?

As said, regardless what you think about its condition it should be replaced every other oil change. If not certain when that was it should be replaced at the next oil change. In fact, if not sure when that was I highly recommend an immediate oil and filter change just to set the schedule. For a lot of low speed local low miles I recommend to change the oil and filter sooner rather than later.

I am like many bike riders of all makes/models of bikes including this one. I change the filter at every oil change. If you do get the filter that has the nut on the end DO NOT INSTALL THE FILTER USING THAT NUT or there is a high risk of failure of the filter at the nut. It is only used to remove the filter (surprising how many don't know this).

Questions like this do tend to bring out a lot of suspicions about the one asking since this is one of those questions that should be common knowledge by anyone who does their own service or reads their owner manual maintenance schedule and has a shop do their maintenance. If you don't have at least the owner manual then get one. It's important to have. If there is something you feel is not working right with your Burgman and you don't work on it yourself then it should be taken to the shop to find out.

BTW - you can stop shouting now... (caps lock always on indicates shouting on any social media including forums).

1 - 9 of 9 Posts