Suzuki Burgman USA Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My manual states the OEM oil filter needs to be replaced at 600 miles then again at 11,000 miles. Is this correct?

Do many of you replace the filter along with the oil every 3,000 miles? I watched ledude's video and it seems easy.

After the initial 600 mile service I will replace the engine oil every 3,000 miles.
Should I plan on the filter as well? Where can I buy the adapter for my torque wrench to use on the suzuki OEM oil filter? Cost?

I know this has been discussed countless times before but I would appreciate the info on the oil filter replacement interval.

Is it safe to really go 10,000 miles without replacing the oil filter?

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Anyone performed an oil change with filter change on a 2013-2014 650? Can all the Tupperware stay on the scooter? If I don't need to remove Tupperware that is a big deal to me.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I change the filter every time I change the oil and I change the oil at 4,000 miles intervals.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I change the filter every time I change the oil and I change the oil at 4,000 miles intervals.
Do you always remove the Tupperware when changing the filter? It would seems safe to do one oil change with reusing the existing filter then in the next one change oil and filter. This means you would be changing the filter every 8,000 miles instead of the 11,000 miles as recommend by suzuki. The reason for not doing the filter change every time is convenience and if the filter lasts up to 11,000 miles why change it at 4,000?

·
Registered
2,834 Posts
Use search function at top, this will give many, many, many, many, many post on oil filter subject even on 2013-2014.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I did a search and there are few discussions on the interval of oil filter changes.

My manual says change the filter every 11,000 miles. The technicians are very smart people. Why should I change the filter every 4,000 miles if it isn't necessary. Even if one wants to be on the safe side changing the filter every other oil change still leaves plenty of margin for safety.

I'm going to buy OEM oil filters and use Valvoline motorcycle oil or suzuki OEM Dino oil as recommended by suzuki.

Has anyone every cut open a suzuki oil filter at 4,000 miles and compared it to a suzuki oil filter at 8,000 miles or even 11,000 miles?

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
Could I get by changing the filter every other oil change, probably, but it's easy to do and they aren't that expensive so why not.

The body work on my 07 is different than on the 13. I could do the change without pulling any bodywork other than the maintenance access panel but I pull the left lower leg side cover just because it makes it easier to reach things under the bike.

·
Registered
175 Posts
Anyone performed an oil change with filter change on a 2013-2014 650? Can all the Tupperware stay on the scooter? If I don't need to remove Tupperware that is a big deal to me.
yes and yes.

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could I get by changing the filter every other oil change, probably, but it's easy to do and they aren't that expensive so why not.

The body work on my 07 is different than on the 13. I could do the change without pulling any bodywork other than the maintenance access panel but I pull the left lower leg side cover just because it makes it easier to reach things under the bike.
I watched ledude's video on changing the filter. He only used about 1/2 turn to tighten the filter. I assume only 1/2 turn because he hand tightened the filter first to the engine.

What's your technique? Same as ledude's? Hand tighten then add 1/2 turn or so with your 17 mm socket?

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
How far I turn the filter depends on the brand filter. The Suzuki OEM filter has a round o'ring gasket so it has to be turned further than other brands that use flat gaskets. The OEM filter takes 2 full turns after the gasket touches metal. Those with flat gaskets only take about 2/3 of a turn.

I use a WIX 51359 filter with a flat gasket so I tighten it until the gasket touches then turn it 2/3 of a turn. I can do that with just my hand without any wrench at all. If I use the OEM filter I have to use a filter wrench on it to get it tightened the 2 full turns after it touches.

BTW, be sure to put a little oil on the gasket to make it easier to remove when you take it off. If you don't the filter can get stuck on and be a bear to remove.

·
Premium Member
14,316 Posts
I've got to ask what tool you use to tighten the filter assuming you feel weak that day. Also, I assume you think this filter is better than the OEM suzuki filter?
Is it better than the OEM, I doubt it. I use it because I can buy them at the local autoparts store a couple of miles down the road. If I want a OEM Suzuki filter I have to drive 25 miles to the nearest Suzuki dealer.

So far I have never had a problem tightening the filter by hand. I also remove them the same way. Only a couple of times have I had to resort to my old strap wrench to get a stuck filter loose.

·
Administrator
20,701 Posts
I too use the WIX 51359 filter. I screw it on till it touches then hand tight. NO tools needed. Never leaks. I am on about my 9th or 10th filter. I am just under 60,000 miles.

·
Registered
5,593 Posts
I replace mine every 4k miles when I perform a complete oil change all around.

I have been using the EMGO oil filter for the past 5 oil changes and it works just as well as the OEM Suzuki at half the price.

I watched ledude's video on changing the filter. He only used about 1/2 turn to tighten the filter. I assume only 1/2 turn because he hand tightened the filter first to the engine.

What's your technique? Same as ledude's? Hand tighten then add 1/2 turn or so with your 17 mm socket?
Read the DIY....

I hand tighten mine and then use the wrench to finish tightening it with the oil wrench tool.

·
Registered
753 Posts
My manual says change the filter every 11,000 miles. The technicians are very smart people. Why should I change the filter every 4,000 miles if it isn't necessary. Even if one wants to be on the safe side changing the filter every other oil change still leaves plenty of margin for safety.
Of course, you are right. The guys that designed and built your engine are not going to recommend something to you that is going to make your engine wear out prematurely. Anyone ever hear of anyone ever damaging their Burgman engine from changing the oil/oil filter when recommended by the factory? I have not and doubt that I ever will.

I use a good synthetic oil in my engine as well as in my tranny. I change the oil every 5,000 miles and every 10,000 miles the transmission oil and oil filter. Makes it a snap to remember and your bike will be just as happy as if you change it every 3,000 miles.

While I agree that you can't change your oil too often there is a point where you are just throwing your money literally down the drain when you change it much more often than is necessary.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I change my filter every other oil change, at about 1500 to 2000 miles. Reading here, I'm going to go longer on my next oil change.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Forget the tool. Turn the filter on by hand, firmly tight on the seal but not twisted hard. You want to get it off by hand, too. It won't leak.

The first oil change is vital, to purge crud that's ground off the moving parts during the wearing-in process. Change it at 500 miles, then again at 1000 miles, then business as usual.

I change the oil and filter every spring. I usually change the oil again late in the summer after we've put 4000 or 5000 miles on our bikes. I don't bother changing the filter then unless we have another long tour planned.

Regards
Scott Fraser

·
Registered
724 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
yes and yes.
I spoke with the dealer today. They don't pull the tupperware on the '13-'14 models to do an oil/oil filter change. For the full service they just remove the cover. It sounds like the redesigned Burg 650 is easier to do maint. on compared to the older version.

·
Registered
66 Posts
So now you know. Your owners manual should have basics for oil change.

I buy K & N m/c filters on Amazon and they are known to be good/better than stock and the advantage is the nut on the end. I always hand install the filter and then use a wrench to remove. Suzuki says replace filter every 3rd change on many of their motorcycles and Burgmans. That should be fine but I usually do it every 2nd.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts